The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks man : I got my iso set to 400, you think thats a good starting spot?
Depends what camera you're shooting, but yes. You can bump it up if things get too dark, but if you're editing in lightroom you may not need to.
Over 1000 and you'll likely pick up some grain.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one a short time ago. Got out of QT a few days ago and is doing great in the DT. I got mine from Reefwise and was very happy with the quality and customer service.

This is mine in QT, took it a few weeks to get adjusted to my time zone...kept getting up way before dawn and going to bed before 5 pm for a while.:D

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked advice about this girl just over 3 weeks ago, when she was still in QT and I was reluctant to move her into my DT.

I'm very happy to report, that after disappearing for the first week when she first went into my display, and then only coming out sporadically for the next week, she is now out almost the whole day and have adjusted well to my tank. The others have also accepted her without problems, and by the looks of things, the one eye isn't bothering her at all. She hunts the rocks during the day, and even joins the frenzy at feeding times.

She is actually surprisingly difficult to photograph, as she swims up and down the glass to get my attention as soon as I come close. Here I got a semi decent shot early in the day when she was still busy waking up.

IMG_2761_zpsuvsejfr1.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was wondering if I need to be concerned with the white blotches on the side of this wrasse?

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stress from rubbing against something course , my yellow canary wrasse always has them.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on it ... even if the blotches themselves aren't trouble, they have a look to them of something that could be a precursor to a bacterial infection.

Maybe keep some antibiotics close ... just in case.

If you're worried about him, post this video in the Disease section, where knowledgeable eyes are always watching . . .

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I need to be concerned with the white blotches on the side of this wrasse?

It looks like missing scales. It could have been where flukes had been, from transport, or banging into stuff if startled. Observe for now, just to make sure it doesn't lead to infection.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my Katherine wrasse is showing ich. I have ~18 fish in my 120 and been battling high nitrates (25 ppm via salifert), so i really stirred the sand bed and the next day he was showing ~ a dozen grains. So far no other fish is showing it, it must of came in on my Kole that I QT for 4 weeks with no sign of disease; He died a week later in my Dt, not showing Ich at all. Either way, I know you can't kill it with out going fallow ect, but cost benefit to me, setting up a 6 20gal qt, stressing my wrasse (6 leopards) and dealing with tank transfer or copper or hypo while keep ph stable is only going to end up with half my fish dead anyways, in addition to stressing me out, and end up with still having ich. I know there are alot of super purists that will hate on me, but at the end of the day its my life. That being said:

How can I manage or treat my fish to overcome this while I get my parameters straight?

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just stirred your sandbed it might just be specks of sand stuck to the mucous coat of your Katherine wrasse and not ich

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my Katherine wrasse is showing ich. I have ~18 fish in my 120 and been battling high nitrates (25 ppm via salifert), so i really stirred the sand bed and the next day he was showing ~ a dozen grains. So far no other fish is showing it, it must of came in on my Kole that I QT for 4 weeks with no sign of disease; He died a week later in my Dt, not showing Ich at all. Either way, I know you can't kill it with out going fallow ect, but cost benefit to me, setting up a 6 20gal qt, stressing my wrasse (6 leopards) and dealing with tank transfer or copper or hypo while keep ph stable is only going to end up with half my fish dead anyways, in addition to stressing me out, and end up with still having ich. I know there are alot of super purists that will hate on me, but at the end of the day its my life. That being said:

How can I manage or treat my fish to overcome this while I get my parameters straight?
Unless stressed or having a compromised immune system in some other way, wrasses are pretty ich resistant. It's possible it won't ever manifest as an issue needing intervention if the peace is kept and good nutrition is provided.

If you just stirred your sandbed it might just be specks of sand stuck to the mucous coat of your Katherine wrasse and not ich
And +1 to this; are you certain on the ID?

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

25 ppm nitrates are not really an issue. Many people run that or higher all the time. But if it is ich try treating with Dr. G's anti-parasitic food.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to photograph wrasse is the only thing I've ever tried that was more frustrating than golf or tournament archery! You guys that take such beautiful pictures please share some of your secrets. Equipment, settings, techniques? I'm learning by trial and error but my learning curve is way to slow for my tastes!

These are the best ones I've been able to get and they're still not good. Took about 200 pics to get these 3!
Ear%20Muff%202%201%20of%201_zpsuhdbtxr4.jpg

Wrasse%20trio%201%20of%201_zpsyzywe87o.jpg

Ear%20Muff%205%201%20of%201_zpsysofzp0i.jpg

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know one of you all that did it and Im sooo mad. I had a Earlei's fairy wrasse in my cart on DD and when I finished entering my credit card number it was already sold.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back