The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i purchased my first wrasse 3 weeks ago and have in a QT now. i cant wait to see how it acts in the DT, it spends most of the day with all its fins out and rides the current of the filter, almost looks like a kite in the water. will post a pic in a week when i get it out of quarantine. maybe you guys could tell me a little more about this fish.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
004-3.jpg

026-2_zps3ce0e649.jpg

020copy-1_zps2d28f851.jpg

049copy.jpg

031.jpg

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think wrasses will be a new addiction for me!! You guys are bad influences!!! Haha
I currently have a 40 breeder with very minimalist aquascape. What wrasses can I get?
I was thinking a melanurus wrasse and/or yellow coris wrasse. Would that be okay? I want advice first

Thank you!!

Great pictures!!!

OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice everyone!

@Brad Syphus which wrasse is in the 4th pic?

Sent using Razr Maxx, excuse any typo's!

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice everyone!

@Brad Syphus which wrasse is in the 4th pic?

Sent using Razr Maxx, excuse any typo's!

It is an Elegant coris wrasse, male. Endemic to Hawaiian waters. I have the female mate as well. When my halides go off and just the actinics are on, they do a ritual mating dance every night. The boy has spunk. LOL

OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an Elegant coris wrasse, male. Endemic to Hawaiian waters. I have the female mate as well. When my halides go off and just the actinics are on, they do a ritual mating dance every night. The boy has spunk. LOL

They look amazing! Do they flip rocks/frags over as the red coris wrasse does in search of food?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome series of Wrasse that have been posted already, and it is no wonder therefore that Wrasses have become a "lot" more popular for Reef Tanks and even for Nano Reef ones, for instance with the Tailspot and the Wetmorella or Pygmy/Tanaka Wrasses.

I do not have any in my current 20 G High Nano but have been considering removing a Lantern Basslet that is getting too big for his britches and becoming a little more bully than he use to be and replacing him with one of the more sedate small Wrasses.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic collection Hunter.
1smile1
And the same to you Brad, even if you are becoming an Anthias convert. :tongue:

i purchased my first wrasse 3 weeks ago and have in a QT now. i cant wait to see how it acts in the DT, it spends most of the day with all its fins out and rides the current of the filter, almost looks like a kite in the water. will post a pic in a week when i get it out of quarantine. maybe you guys could tell me a little more about this fish.
Perhaps, but we'd need a photo... :wink:

I think wrasses will be a new addiction for me!! You guys are bad influences!!! Haha
I currently have a 40 breeder with very minimalist aquascape. What wrasses can I get?
I was thinking a melanurus wrasse and/or yellow coris wrasse. Would that be okay? I want advice first

Thank you!!

Great pictures!!!
IMO, a 40 is borderline for most Halichoeres in terms of sufficient space; personally I wouldn't.
It's much more suitable for most Paracheilinus (flasher) species, and also acceptable for a handful of the Cirrhilabrus (fairy) species which stay under 3.5". Lastly, any Wetmorella (possum) wrasse would also be fine.

Yes indeed but I never said it was "mine" ... I posted it to show a Flasher Wrasse as part of the many Wrasse that are posted.
Fair, but that was not the apparent intent of this thread. And it was my impression you claimed ownership of it in response to Brett.
Moving on.

They look amazing! Do they flip rocks/frags over as the red coris wrasse does in search of food?
They are one of the smallest species of the Coris genus, and are supposedly less prone to behaving like the more traditional Coris (as you're thinking). However, I'm also interested to hear Brad's experience here.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair, but that was not the apparent intent of this thread. And it was my impression you claimed ownership of it in response to Brett.
Moving on.

Sorry must have not looked at the intent of the thread, I thought it was just posting pics of Wrasse. My mistake.

Back