Thermal Reckoning, a Fire in the making...

1. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad CTARS Member Article Contributor Partner Member

143MPCo submitted a new Article:

Thermal Reckoning, a Fire in the making...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
    Tags:
  2. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Partner Member

Great write up Alex and David! My "electrical cabinet" is one of the best things I have done for the tank in a while.

3. Diesel

Diesel 11.111............. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member

Always a scary thought, you can't over do electrical safety.
    Watch out for cross wiring as that can be the main cause of most shortages.

steve&mari, Robink, dbl and 3 others like this.
  4. dbl

dbl Just Trying to Help R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Excellent write up Alex and all too important. Safety to our family has to take priority. Great job.

5. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Outstanding write up! May I repost this for my local forum?

steve&mari, Fin, 143MPCo and 3 others like this.
  6. Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair Renee R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Database Team Article Contributor

Great write up..... I am the victim of one such fire.

dbl and Diesel like this.
  7. Diesel

Diesel 11.111............. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Partner Member

Not today I hope........... you had already went over your quota today.

8. WilRams

WilRams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member

Great article. I have taken my time to do everything I can to prevent as much as possible. Everything is in the room behind the tank. Nothing under the stand. The "fish room" I have added outdoor covered boxes to all the outlets and even light switch. Equipment will be all mounted in a cabinet once I finish my lay out. I will then be adding a fire/carbon detector to that room. Most importantly no clutter! Clean and clear as much as possible.

9. Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair Renee R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Database Team Article Contributor

LOL!!

Goose5407 and 143MPCo like this.
  10. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad CTARS Member Article Contributor Partner Member

Thanks everyone!!
    @Humblefish only if you think it worthy.:)

@WilRams very good points you made, clutter can sometimes be detrimental. Unlabeled, untethered, or unorganized more so, just think of the mad rush to remove a piece of equipment that flamed up among the contortion of cords! Not that we need to be obsessed and compulsive about things, but a more organized systems helps in a lot of different ways, including safety.

steve&mari, Humblefish and kschweer like this.
  11. oneilwiz

oneilwiz Well-Known Member

Great write up very serious issue.

garethwood likes this.
  12. BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic GO BLUE! R2R Supporter

screenshot_121712_213_pm.jpeg the griswolds taught me how to electric.

Seriously good write up though!

steve&mari, Frop, Nibejeebies and 7 others like this.
  13. 143MPCo

Thanks guys!!

14. DrayB

DrayB Well-Known Member

people should be very wary of wobbly or loose fitting connections. This is the number 1 reason for electrical fires is due the the high resistance connection of a loose plug or terminal.

ludnix, steve&mari and tommyhere like this.
  15. Fin

Fin Let the Fin Begin! R2R Supporter

Great write up! This is one of the goals of my new build. I plan to isolate as much of the electronic gear as I can inside of 1 or 2 small cabinets mounted to the wall behind my tank. My tank sits at an angle in a corner of my living room, so I have a good bit of room behind the tank. I am just hoping the wiring is long enough to reach the cabinet.

I work in insurance claims and once saw a 135 gallon tank that had an electrical fire behind the tank. It set drapes on fire and when the fire got high enough, it shattered the tank and the resulting deluge of water extinguished the fire. Lucky folks there.

steve&mari, Humblefish and 143MPCo like this.
  16. oneilwiz

oneilwiz Well-Known Member

I am in the process of rebuilding my tank since I just move for which my power cables will be 6 ft away.

17. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

2 months after I moved in to a brand new built house back in 2012 my 54 corner tank at the time started a leak in the back I had no idea about. (This is also an apparent lesson on buying used glass, which I don't anymore). Water dripped down the cord in to the power strip, caught on fire all of the chemical boxes and effective "kindling" underneath, and thank God I was home. Stand began to burn, destroyed my carpet and damaged the wall in the area. Minimal repairs, carpet still needs replaced before I sell. Had I not been home who knows what would have happened.

Take this threat very seriously folks.

18. 143MPCo

Thanks @Fin!!!

You might already know about these but if not google "weatherproof gaskets for outdoor electrical connections" might help with extending short power cables.

Fin likes this.
  19. garethwood

garethwood Member

I had a big worry of overload, leaks and my small boy turning off plugs! So built a consumer unit into a seperate section of my stand and hardwired ip65 rated switches into the front so no pulling or switching live plugs when doing w/cs.. tbh the most challenging and costly part of my diy but well worth the effort and cost.. afterall you cant put a price on life : )

20. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Partner Member

Great write up my friend! Something we all need to know and be reminded of! Sharing!