OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm old school but I do water changes pretty regularly. I thought I would post a few photos of what I do to change 60g of water out of my 240g tank.

I keep between 40 and 70 gallons of salt water on hand. When I did the last water change and how much water I changed last determines how much I change next. Since the last change was 30g, this change is 60g.

I shut the system down, let the water settle and then start siphoning from the tank.

This is two 33 gallon trash cans waiting to be 'filled'. One hose is the siphon hose from the tank. The other hose is connected to a pond pump. Because I have Grape Algae (Caulerpa racemosa) which is banned in California, I set the other end into a sink so the water goes into the sewer system. As a side note, if someone can recommend a fish that will eat Grape Algae, let me know. My Yellow Tangs don't touch it.

This is the water level in the two trash cans after siphoning. You can see they are almost filled. The two trash cans filled to this level is about 60g (today it was 59.4g).

This is what the tank looks like when it is down 60 gallons.

Here are the two barrels of SW ready to go into the DT. I have an RO/DI unit set up in my garage. I 'fill' the barrels and then mix in Reef Crystals. One barrel is 44g and the other is 33g. Both are food safe Brute trash cans. When the salinity is right, I cover the barrels and let them sit until needed. When I want to do a 60g change, I make sure I have about 70g on hand and ready to go (temp and salinity matching the DT). I stick a pump into a barrel and string an RV grade water hose to the DT. The hose has a valve on the end so that I shut off the water. I clamp the hose to the tank and then turn on the pump.

There are lots of benefits to doing water changes but I really like the extra one I get...water changes are the only time that my five Clownfish play nice and swim together.

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the system pretty well dialed in. Fish and corals are happy. I thought I would post some pictures of a Green Bird's Nest for growth comparison. These were taken on July 1st and today, August 14th.

Side View July 1st, 2016

Side View August 14th, 2016

Top Down July 1st, 2016

Top Down August 14th, 2016

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of some of the happy corals in my system.

Blue A. vermiculata colony

Bali-Maricultured Green and Purple Acropora sp. ID anyone?

Bali-Maricultured Green Polyped Acropora sp. ID anyone?

o2manyfish Purple M. Digitata

o2manyfish Death Defying Xenia. I have frags of this growing on rubble. Free to a good home. No shipping.

o2manyfish Blue Chalice (Echinophyllia sp.)

Blue and Green Acropora sp. ID anyone?

Bali-Maricultured Green A. millepora colony

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short video I shot tonight after feeding Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast and Real Ocean Eggs (R.O.E.).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoy

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I decided to start daily dosing Magnesium. I'm dosing at the suggested rate for my CA/Alk consumption which translates into about 15ml/day. I added some 'designer clownfish' and a two head Duncan frag that I picked up over the weekend at a club frag swap.

Here's a short video. Nothing really highlighted except my turquoise Stylophora. That colony is awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 Banggai Cardinals. Two have bonded. One (the male I presume) is carrying eggs.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all those fish! Has the filefish bothered any of the coral that you have noticed?

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all those fish! Has the filefish bothered any of the coral that you have noticed?

Thanks. The Filefish is from ORA. They call it Aiptasia-eating Filefish and that's exactly why I got him. I have not seen him nip at anything in the tank including the Aiptasia. The Aiptasia in the tank (but not in the overflow box) is gone. I assume he ate it all. I have seen him eat live Black Worms (the only time he swims with anything that could be called speed) various frozen foods and dry food.

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five months ago I added three Rose BTAs from Divers Den. Tonight I found one of my A. Ocellaris clownfish had finally decided to host in one of the Rose BTAs.

This tempers the bad news from today...a couple of weeks ago I added a bonded pair of designer clownfish to the system. Over the last week the female was harassed a lot and this evening I can't find her. Maybe she is hiding but I am not optimistic.

Anyway, here is a video of the clownfish and the BTA.

Back