thetedinator's As-built 240g System

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thetedinator, Great build!
Love a reefer who knows how many led's it truly takes to get the job done.
Question: Is your ARID reactor able to handle your phos. and nitrates on it's own?

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thetedinator, Great build!
Love a reefer who knows how many led's it truly takes to get the job done.
Question: Is your ARID reactor able to handle your phos. and nitrates on it's own?

Thanks.

I don't regularly measure PO4 or NO3. Since the system cycled, I have never seen any NO3 results other than 'zero'. Since running the ARID, the PO4 levels have been low. In March, I saw PO4 hit 0.38. When I put the ARID on line in May, the PO4 was running 0.07. Since then, the PO4 has been averaging 0.04.

To reduce PO4 you have to export what is in the system (and quit adding PO4 to the system). I do regular water changes (which is how I reduced the PO4 from 0.38 down to 0.07 before bringing the ARID on line) so I DO NOT claim that the ARID is the reason my system has low phosphate levels. One (or more) of the foods I feed is the source of the PO4. Since my fish are happy and healthy, I am not inclined to change what I am feeding so I live with the fact I am introducing PO4 into the system.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I don't regularly measure PO4 or NO3. Since the system cycled, I have never seen any NO3 results other than 'zero'. Since running the ARID, the PO4 levels have been low. In March, I saw PO4 hit 0.38. When I put the ARID on line in May, the PO4 was running 0.07. Since then, the PO4 has been averaging 0.04.

To reduce PO4 you have to export what is in the system (and quit adding PO4 to the system). I do regular water changes (which is how I reduced the PO4 from 0.38 down to 0.07 before bringing the ARID on line) so I DO NOT claim that the ARID is the reason my system has low phosphate levels. One (or more) of the foods I feed is the source of the PO4. Since my fish are happy and healthy, I am not inclined to change what I am feeding so I live with the fact I am introducing PO4 into the system.
Well, I'm old school and still a water change "Junkie"
I was curious if you were carbon dosing or anything else. With your #'s, I wouldn't change a thing:)
Thanks for sharing your 1 year pictures yesterday, very nice.
I noticed your running bb. I ran substrate for decades. I would slowly change out my thin beds about once a year. Always felt like no matter how much I vacuumed and so on that the beds were still turning into organic sumps. So about two years ago I slowly pulled out the thin bed and gave BB a shot. For myself it's been a nice move. I now run higher flow and when I do my weekly water change it's so easy to siphon out the remaining detritus.

I'm going to keep tagging along for the ride on your build thread, if you keep it going.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experiences and "Happy New Year"

Last edited:
OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am old school as well. I do water changes regularly and I don't dose anything regularly except calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. I ran BB on my last system as well. Both times to try to minimize the scratches to my tank. I failed at this and am now learning how to remove scratches.:(

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am old school as well. I do water changes regularly and I don't dose anything regularly except calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. I ran BB on my last system as well. Both times to try to minimize the scratches to my tank. I failed at this and am now learning how to remove scratches.:(
I feel for you on the acrylic scratches.
You haven't failed, just learning the trade of "Acrylic Scratch Removal":)
I have the soft "Sapphire" glass. Nothing like acrylic but you have to be careful too.
Since I went BB, I no longer have to worry about a grain of sand making me want to cry after cleaning the glass and understand why you'd want to be BB with acrylic.
Seems like I saw Elos has just starting to sell tanks that are like Starphire glass clarity with regular glass scratch resistance.

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3rd acrylic tank. First one had a DSB. Bare bottom after that. 2nd tank was not nearly as scratched after two years as this one is after one. Part of the reason I made some nasty scratches in the acrylic when setting up the tank. Once you get over that, normal scratches don't seem so bad. The lesson learned is to NOT clear the display of algae film without wearing your glasses.

Here is a short time-lapse I shot of some zoanthids. Did this while polishing out some scratches in one section of the tank.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3rd acrylic tank. First one had a DSB. Bare bottom after that. 2nd tank was not nearly as scratched after two years as this one is after one. Part of the reason I made some nasty scratches in the acrylic when setting up the tank. Once you get over that, normal scratches don't seem so bad. The lesson learned is to NOT clear the display of algae film without wearing your glasses.

Here is a short time-lapse I shot of some zoanthids. Did this while polishing out some scratches in one section of the tank.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's an awesome time lapse:)

Fully understand the: "The lesson learned is to NOT clear the display of algae film without wearing your glasses." line:eek:

OP
OP
thetedinator

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures of some corals in my system. Two of the pics are frags that came from Brent (Chefzilla) - Thanks!

Red Planet from Chefzilla - forgive the glue mark.

Green with Blue frag from Chefzilla - Brent will know what this is....

Green polyp'd with Purple Tips Acropora somethingother

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back