Thinking about adding a new fish

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a forum where we share knowledge and/or experiences correct? Before you try to interrogate me please go back and re-read what I said. I never said blennys and gobies couldn't live together. I said there is a chance for aggression or outcompeting. My sources? I have been in the business for years. I own a LFS. Thank you very much for hijacking the thread and trying to make me look like a fool when you only made yourself look like a fool.
In that case, I am casting doubt on whether they are first hand experiences or not. Algae blennies can indeed be territorial, but that is toward rock dwelling fish or other algaevores. However, since any of the watchman species are sand dwelling, there is no issue there, clown gobies are left alone for their slime coat, trimma and eviotas are ignored for their small size, sand sifters are sand dwellers and ignored. Neon gobies are recognized as cleaners, so even though they never see each other in the wild they are still recognized, jawfish are ignored, as are all the Microdesmids.

So again I ask, which blenny did you keep with a goby that there was a problem.

Far too often inaccurate info gets passed on without first hand experience. Or outliers are considered the norm. There may be a handful of issues where it occurred, but quite frankly I have seen blennies behave aggressively much more toward tangs than to gobies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need copepods but Manderin gobys are really cool. Try not to have a blenny and a goby though, depending on the species, a blenny can eat a goby out of a house and home... literally.
This is your first comment on this thread. This comes across as it would be a bad idea in most cases to keep a blenny and goby together, when in reality, in almost every case they make excellent tankmates.

I said there is a chance for aggression or outcompeting. My sources? I have been in the business for years.
This is very different than your first comment. What sort of chances? 5%, 25%, 50%, 100%?
This is a forum where we share knowledge and/or experiences correct?
Again, no specific instances mentioned. In my many experiences, it works.
My sources? I have been in the business for years. I own a LFS.
You're not the only one in the industry with vast experiences with these groups of fish. I have been doing this for quite a few years as well, and again, in the many, many experiences I have had between blennies and gobies it has almost entirely gone without issue. Also, as an owner of an LFS you should know how to ensure a goby would get enough food so that it would not be outcompeted by a blenny, it's very simple.
Thank you very much for hijacking the thread ...
It's not hijacking the thread when you tell someone try not to have a blenny and a goby, and that is wrong information.
...trying to make me look like a fool when you only made yourself look like a fool.
Not my intent, just correcting misinformation and trying to get to the bottom of why it occurred. Misinformation spreads quickly, especially when it is parroted from someone else.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually there is no difference in my posts but all I can say is I am very very successful in this business and if there is an outcompeting issue, adding more food is not the answer. Again, this forum is based on knowledge and experience.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not food than how is it being outcompeted? Again what specific interactions between blennies and gobies? You keep mentioning experiences, please share them. What are the chances of aggression and competition between blennies and gobies? Is it very likely that it will happen or unlikely in your experience? In my my experience it is incredibly unlikely. Based on the op's tank I would find it would be much more likely that a tang would cause issues in that size tank than a blenny would have issue with a goby,

I'm glad you are successful I'm a huge proponent of LFS,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back