Thinking I might go LED's

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading my lights for my 90gal and my original plan was to get an ATI Sun Power 8 bulb fixture. Now I'm starting to think I want LED's for this tank. I've been looking through a lot of threads online and I really like the colors on some of the fixtures I've seen. So far I really like the Maxspect G2 160. I think 2 of these would be perfect for my tank size(48" x 18" x 24"). I also like that I can change out the leds for different colors with the Maxspect.
Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to stay around $1000. I'd also like to have around 200 par at the sandbed.

Last edited:

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JGoslee

I'm a fan of DIY but really like the Maxspec and the AI. You cant go wrong either way. A pair of Evolutions are also an option for a tank your size but you might come up a tad short on the sand bad PAR reading.

Bill

Last edited:

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get a DIY kit.i got a 24 bulb kit with 18 royal blues and 6 whites and am very happy with the color anf growth so far.i did go with dimmable drivers to fine tune the color an started off running them at 3v.as of now im running them at 6v and working my way up to 9v.i got my kit from reef led lights and wld1783(bill)was very helpful in answering all my questions about wiring and such.i did have an ATI 6x39w sunpower before the LED's and have ran halides as well.my color is similar to a 20k radium with the bulb combo i have.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know too much about the different LED's, but a local reefer had an aqua illumination on her tank and it was awesome! It was so bright and you could control so much when you hooked it up to a reef keeper. It was definitely brighter than my LED's.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get a DIY kit.i got a 24 bulb kit with 18 royal blues and 6 whites and am very happy with the color anf growth so far.i did go with dimmable drivers to fine tune the color an started off running them at 3v.as of now im running them at 6v and working my way up to 9v.i got my kit from reef led lights and wld1783(bill)was very helpful in answering all my questions about wiring and such.i did have an ATI 6x39w sunpower before the LED's and have ran halides as well.my color is similar to a 20k radium with the bulb combo i have.

what size is your tank?

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh. I never asked her how much she paid for it. Apart from the cost, they're awesome! lol. Good luck in your search.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get one that you can change the color of it, that way you can adjust the spectrum to your liking. Not sure if this would bring you out of your price range though.

The ones that do thunderstorms and stuff are cool too, but, to me, its a feature I wouldn't want to pay for :)

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get one that you can change the color of it, that way you can adjust the spectrum to your liking. Not sure if this would bring you out of your price range though.

The ones that do thunderstorms and stuff are cool too, but, to me, its a feature I wouldn't want to pay for :)

I agree with you on this. I have 3 of the Evolution G1s and they are 120 watts. These replaced 3 400 W MH over my 30" deep 300 gallon tank, and I love them! Although I don't get 200 PAR at the sand bed, I am growing SPS with no issues 20" down and chalices and Acans on the sand are colorful and growing.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I'm going to be researching LEDs sometime soon. Has anybody seen a difference in their electric bill after switching to them?

agoodloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to go led one day also but i am kind of weird about how to hang them over my aquarium and make it look good. I am not a fan of canopy hoods and like the open look with the lights exposed.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hang my halides over top of my rimless tank from the ceiling with thin steel wire. Looks awesome.

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Maxspect fixtures are the only ones I know of that allow you to easily change out the leds for different colors.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are fixtures that will change the spectrum with just a turn of a dial, you don't even have to take out and replace LEDs. I know Cherry Corals uses a small one at frag swaps, as I've seen, and asked, them the change it white so you can see what the corals "really" look like, instead of being blasted with blue. I'm not sure which brand it was though.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were originally going to go with an ati 8 bulb fixture why not do a 4-6 bulb t5 and supplement with leds(reefbrites etc)? That way you can have the best of both worlds... crap, now Hannah Montana is singing in my head:(

brian.srock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going Evolution LEDs within 2 weeks. Let me know what you decide on and take some pics when you hook them up and a week after for growth

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were originally going to go with an ati 8 bulb fixture why not do a 4-6 bulb t5 and supplement with leds(reefbrites etc)? That way you can have the best of both worlds... crap, now Hannah Montana is singing in my head:(

Yeah now I'm starting to think that might be a good idea. I could do a 4 bulb ATI sunpower and then add in some leds with that. Maybe a few 7-bulb par38 bulbs.
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/(New)-7-LED-PAR38/Detail

I'm still looking for a full led fixture but If I don't find one I like soon I'm going to go with the option above.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back