Thinking of taking the LED plunge

livfortoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading my 65 gallon tank into a 150 gallon tank very shortly......as soon as I can figure out which lights to go with.

Originally, I was going to go with a 8X54 watt ATI Powermodule, which is used at a very good price, from what I can gather.

However I stumbled across a posting for the Evolution LED systems and it got me to thinking.

Now I am torn, I would really like to get a LED system but do not know much about them and see that there are a few different fixtures out there that are resonable. I have read nearly every post on this site but now my head is spinning.

So, does anyone have evolutions on their tank? How do they stack up? Any suggestions for which fixture.........basically all the good questions.

my 150 is a 48 X 24X 30 tank. I would like to keep a mixed reef. with that said which fixture and how many 1 or 2?

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading my 65 gallon tank into a 150 gallon tank very shortly......as soon as I can figure out which lights to go with.

Originally, I was going to go with a 8X54 watt ATI Powermodule, which is used at a very good price, from what I can gather.

However I stumbled across a posting for the Evolution LED systems and it got me to thinking.

Now I am torn, I would really like to get a LED system but do not know much about them and see that there are a few different fixtures out there that are resonable. I have read nearly every post on this site but now my head is spinning.

So, does anyone have evolutions on their tank? How do they stack up? Any suggestions for which fixture.........basically all the good questions.

my 150 is a 48 X 24X 30 tank. I would like to keep a mixed reef. with that said which fixture and how many 1 or 2?

thats the same tank i got, and im too on the edge of taking the plunge. from what i have read/heard, going to need about 96leds with what ever color you choice 2:1 ratio with prob a 60degree optics, just my opinion but going to cost about 900-1000 dollars. going to follow along, to see how yours works out, GOOD LUCK!!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ true for a diy kit... if you were to buy evolutions i think you would need 3 fixtures... i haven't used the evolutions but there getting rave reviews on here...

sts04c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 120 watt Evolutions would be plenty. I have a 120 watt on a Solana currently since November, I like it, good growth, great color, no heat compared to the halide. If you are going to spend the money, I would go with Aquaillumination due to the additional features, but only if you are planning to spend the $. Evolutions are great, they get the job done, the Aquailluminations are the Cadillacs IMO, at the moment.

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Aquaillumations. the lfs has one set up with 3 modules and i have never seen such great color with the coral. they have had to keep theirs turned down quite a bit. it replaced 2 400w metal halides. they have it next to an 8bulb ati fixture and the color does not compare. it really makes the corals pop. btw the store is premiumaquatics.com. they are a partner with aqua and carry them. i believe around 600 per module.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, consider checking out the new LED's from Reef Filtration, they're a sponsor as well. I have 2 of the older fixtures and couldn't be happier with them or the service I've received from Luke.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that LED technology is changing to rapidly right now, and will be outdated in a couple of months/year. This is thought to finally stabilize in about 3-4 years. MH however are proven technology. just my 2cents

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a diy and I well caution you that they are very powerful. A tank that deep will need at least 60 if not forty deg optics. I personally would go the ai route if I could do it over again. Sol blue definitely worth the money.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with Luke also at Reef filtration I have 2 on preorder for my 36x24x24 90g tank even if LEDs are upgraded in the next few years I'm not waiting I'm in MS & it already is 83 degree outside and i have the a/c running I have 1 250 w mh running & have had to turn on the extra fans to cool the tank I went with Luke because if one light goes out the rest stay lit plus they are 2w bulbs & the white & blue are on separate cords plus they have a blue & royal blue mix all for $300 preorder seems really good to me!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the aquailluminations and a few other options on the market, and I've also seen some DIY jobs. I have to say, I was very impressed with growth and color of the DIY jobs ive seen. 2:1 ration Royal Blue to Cool White and used at only a fraction of their potential output seems to yield great results. Roughly one LED every 2 inches or so seems to work.

Just remember, visible light does not equal useable light for the coral, so it may not look as bright as a halide, but if you turn it up all the way, you will nuke your critters for sure. They are stroooong!

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of the 120W Evolutions on my 8' long 300. Two are 5 1/2" off the water an the other is 9" off the water. I have very little shadow. For a 48" long tank, two units would work fine.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 200w evolution fixture on my 48" tank and couldn't be happier. However my tank is more LPS dominate than SPS but the way the light is positioned I would be able to do SPS with no problems as well.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to have an 120 watt LED fixture on order from Luke at Reefilterations.Thought i would give it a try.Tired of changing 1 250 watt halide and 2 PC actinics every year.I love the shimmer from the halide but cost of bulbs heat,and the watts to run them.My current fixture i am using 380 watts,new LED fixture will be 120 watts.300.00 dollars dont seem like that big of an investment in this hobby.Just my 2 cents worth.

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ones that I've found are the AI sol and the Key Aquarium K3. They both use 3 watt Cree LEDs and dimmable drivers.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty sure i can beat those fixture prices by doing my own DIY, other ppl have built there's all custom to there tank(same footprint as mine) for under $1000

Back