Thoughts on the Beamswork 20X3 Watt LED

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this led light online I while ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamswork-C...hash=item2326da8ca4:m:mWRL-m21WsR3-hmvXo0m5MQ

There are a few videos of it on Youtube, but no actual reviews. What are your thoughts on it? It has 12 10,000K led bulbs and 8 460nm actinics. The led's are supposed to be 3 watts. This one is a bundle and comes with a timer, as stated on the bottom of the buying page. I'm not sure if I should get it or not. I would like to set this up over a standard 10 gallon. Also would this be too strong? I want to keep some zoas and some other similar corals.
Thanks!
s-l400.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be good with that unit. Ive advised many people to use those. Might be a bit white for some tastes, but it will work.

OP
OP
roboshark

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, thats a nice unit. Would be much better.
And yes, its 72 watts. 24 3w LEDs

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says in the description it is 24 watts. Last row. Not that I think you need more than 24w for a 10 gallon. But personally I would look at the kessil a80 for a 10 gallon. Or even one of the "chinese black box" lights and just turn it wayyyy down. That way you have something you can still use if you upgrade. http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-MarsAq...093101?hash=item5658ce27ed:g:UbcAAOSwqfNXmwgN

Specifications:

Aquarium light: 24 LEDs

White LEDs: 8pcs

Blue LEDs: 12pcs

Red LEDs: 2pcs

Green LEDs: 2pcs

LUMEN approx: 1980

Size of Light: 11.8"*4.3"*2"

Length of one Extendable Bracket: approximate 0"-3.9"
Length of two Extendable Bracket: approximate 0"-7.8"

Fits for Aquarium Size: 12"-20"

Actural Wattage: 24W

OP
OP
roboshark

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says in the description it is 24 watts. Last row. Not that I think you need more than 24w for a 10 gallon. But personally I would look at the kessil a80 for a 10 gallon. Or even one of the "chinese black box" lights and just turn it wayyyy down. That way you have something you can still use if you upgrade. http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-MarsAq...093101?hash=item5658ce27ed:g:UbcAAOSwqfNXmwgN

Specifications:

Aquarium light: 24 LEDs

White LEDs: 8pcs

Blue LEDs: 12pcs

Red LEDs: 2pcs

Green LEDs: 2pcs

LUMEN approx: 1980

Size of Light: 11.8"*4.3"*2"

Length of one Extendable Bracket: approximate 0"-3.9"
Length of two Extendable Bracket: approximate 0"-7.8"

Fits for Aquarium Size: 12"-20"

Actural Wattage: 24W
I know I saw that too but the thing is the title says it's 72 watts. I also contacted the seller and s/he said it was "theoretically 72 watts". I thought I was going to go for it, but now I'm suspecting it may not actually be 72 watts. Others seem to have bought the item, and the seller has 98.9% positive feedback. Should I still get it, or look into getting another light?

I like the idea of getting a strong light and dimming it down as an 'early upgrade'. They do cost twice as much though.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit uses 3w leds, its the driver that will keep them from going to 100% technical lighting, of which you don't need anyways. Its a good unit. Not to worry.

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Beamswork LED on a nano tank and didn't like it. Way too bright light. My Zoas grew slow and I definitely burned a few other LPS/SPS. I didn't know any better back then but these lights is what stopped by reef from thriving. I highly recommend a dimmable fixture if you plan on keeping corals

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the exact same light in my fuge , only difference is i dont have the timer i use a timer plug. I have had frags under this before and they did well.It is pretty white rather than blue but a good light for the money no doubt

OP
OP
roboshark

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Beamswork LED on a nano tank and didn't like it. Way too bright light. My Zoas grew slow and I definitely burned a few other LPS/SPS. I didn't know any better back then but these lights is what stopped by reef from thriving. I highly recommend a dimmable fixture if you plan on keeping corals

I was afraid corals would get burned under the light. The other 72 watt light fixture is dimmable, so I think I will be going with that one.

OP
OP
roboshark

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the exact same light in my fuge , only difference is i dont have the timer i use a timer plug. I have had frags under this before and they did well.It is pretty white rather than blue but a good light for the money no doubt
I also saw in the few videos of the light that they were more white than blue (2 white to 1 actinic ratio). The 72 watt light fixture is full spectrum and dimmable, so that's the one I'm leaning towards.

OP
OP
roboshark

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just hit me that others will probably view this thread if they had the same questions I did about this light fixture. Those that need help with any aquarium guidance can just look up their question and find forums like R2R to get their answers, and possibly join. :)

OP
OP
roboshark

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any violet LEDs in these lights. I know violets tend to be more expensive, but I personally consider them a must have (or something in that spectrum). Are there any lights in the sub $100 range that have violets or near uv that people have found?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back