Good evening reefers

Test results as of tonight 12/15/16:

SG: 1.025
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phos: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Calc: 400 ppm
DkH: 12-13

So I am currently dosing Kent Purple Tech to bring up my calcium levels. I am hoping that the high DkH is being caused by that, I am not sure what else could make it that high, any advise on that is appreciated.

Now on to the real question. I have several pieces of macro algae, and a mangrove in my system so Im not surprised I have no Nitrates. I have one piece of SPS currently a Green Stylo. In addition I have a ricorida shroom, aussie pink torch, Rasta Zoa, and a Kenya Tree.

Would it be worth it to dose some nitrates? ie- as I understand it 1-2 ppm can be very good for SPS, however I have one frag of it.... It's happy as is my other coral pieces so should I bother dosing for nitrates, or if it ain't broke dont fix it?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your PH? Are your macro and mangroves growing? If they are, then there are definitely nitrates, possible they're being utilized as fast as they're being produced, thus a test result of 0. Hard to test against a green stylo, they're typically more forgiving than say a Mille or an Acro. Maybe just try feeding a bit heavier at the very most? If your corals have nice color and they're growing at a steady rate, I wouldn't worry about it. If you add more coral or the ones you have grow out and you notice a drop in color, then sure, you may need more nutrients. Just tread carefully whether you dose nitrates or feed heavier. What for livestock do you have and whats your total volume?

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your PH? Are your macro and mangroves growing? If they are, then there are definitely nitrates, possible they're being utilized as fast as they're being produced, thus a test result of 0. Hard to test against a green stylo, they're typically more forgiving than say a Mille or an Acro. Maybe just try feeding a bit heavier at the very most? If your corals have nice color and they're growing at a steady rate, I wouldn't worry about it. If you add more coral or the ones you have grow out and you notice a drop in color, then sure, you may need more nutrients. Just tread carefully whether you dose nitrates or feed heavier. What for livestock do you have and whats your total volume?

Unfortunately I don't have a PH test in my arsenal, a local buddy tests it for me every so often, and I know I will get crap for this, but I honestly don't care. I take steps to make sure the PH stays balanced, I run my fuge opposite my DT light schedule and I open my windows to vent excess Co2 in the house, but like I said at this point its all guess work. I haven't seen any ill effects so thats all I have to gauge my PH on. My macro and Mangrove are growing. I have chaeto, my mangrove, and dragons breath in the fuge; and a large kelp like plant in the cheato family growing in the DT (can't remember what it's called, even called LFS and he told me...but I forgot) they're all growing really well, not super fast, but steady and strong. Also run purigen. Pic below for refrence (right after tearing Chaeto in half):
IMG_20161215_190835179_HDR.jpg

I feed a cube of mysis every other day

Stock list:
Yasha White Ray
Six-Line
Lawn Mower
Caribbean Rock Mantis (N. Wennerae)
Halloween hermit
Electric Blue
Snails x8
conch x3 (one in fuge)
Scarlets x2 (in fuge)

Green Stylo
Ricordia Flower
Kenya Tree
Rasta Zoa
Aussie Pink Torch

Just ordered from LiveAquria 10 min ago- Hatian Condy, Flame Scallop, Royal Gramma

Total System volume ~27 Gallons give or take a 1/2 gallon

Like I said everything seems happy, my stylo got a tad bleached after about a week of having him (still had nice extension) but he was in very intense light, moved him out of the light and he colored up

FTS for refrence

IMG_20161215_190824635_HDR.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would add No3 in your tank.
I am not seeing the demand for it besides macro's

Agreed. As mentioned before, maybe if you start adding more corals or when the ones you have grow out, maybe, but i'd imagine something else will change before that time comes. Since you've also decided to add more livestock, I definitely don't think you'll need to worry about it.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, maybe if I get some more SPS I will research it a little further

If you ever strip your system of nutrients, you'll know it. It won't just affect your SPS, it'll affect your corals across the board. I've done so myself; my softies, LPS, and SPS all faded. You've got macro growing, you should be fine.

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever strip your system of nutrients, you'll know it. It won't just affect your SPS, it'll affect your corals across the board. I've done so myself; my softies, LPS, and SPS all faded. You've got macro growing, you should be fine.

10-4, would the coral go first or the macro? just so I know what to look out for

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it is noticed in corals first

Agreed. I think macros and what not are more resilient to those conditions so it takes longer to witness. If you see corals fading and then after some time you notice a stall in growth of your macro, you can lay odds low nutrients is the culprit or at least a contributing factor to a greater issue.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I think macros and what not are more resilient to those conditions so it takes longer to witness. If you see corals fading and then after some time you notice a stall in growth of your macro, you can lay odds low nutrients is the culprit or at least a contributing factor to a greater issue.
Indeed.
When it comes to macros other elements are in play so I do not include them in the equation.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would at least feed the fish daily............you're input of food is miniscule.

A higher fish load can help as well.

If you plan on adding some acros I'd at least feed more & also offer a more varied fish diet.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, adding Kent's Purple Tech is definitely raising your alkalinity. It's meant to bring up all levels of calcium, carbonates, magnesium, strontium and other trace elements. I would recommend against using that alone to bring up your calcium levels as your alkalinity will skyrocket and I would bet heavily that you have a high pH now too. High pH in your case is not bad though, no need to measure it, but since your KH/carbonates are high, you are stimulating heavy growth rates, close to 125% of normal.

Now *that* much growth will require you to dose nitrates. There aren't many corals that can grow that fast without a longer term food source.

I'll send the paper from Dana Riddle supporting those numbers if anyone wants when I am back at my computer instead of phone.

Raise your calcium with a calcium only solution, e.g. SeaChem Reef Fusion part 1, or any Part 1 of a two part dosing system.

If you keep using Purple Tech you will cause far too many unintended consequences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, adding Kent's Purple Tech is definitely raising your alkalinity. It's meant to bring up all levels of calcium, carbonates, magnesium, strontium and other trace elements. I would recommend against using that alone to bring up your calcium levels as your alkalinity will skyrocket and I would bet heavily that you have a high pH now too. High pH in your case is not bad though, no need to measure it, but since your KH/carbonates are high, you are stimulating heavy growth rates, close to 125% of normal.

Now *that* much growth will require you to dose nitrates. There aren't many corals that can grow that fast without a longer term food source.

I'll send the paper from Dana Riddle supporting those numbers if anyone wants when I am back at my computer instead of phone.

Raise your calcium with a calcium only solution, e.g. SeaChem Reef Fusion part 1, or any Part 1 of a two part dosing system.

If you keep using Purple Tech you will cause far too many unintended consequences.

OK 10-4 thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back