Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

DJE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Veganbrian

Veganbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Veganbrian

Veganbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So In less than a day I have had had multiple requests from this, and a couple other reefing sites to go into aquascaping certain shaped tanks and how to construct rock formations. I’m going to do my best to go a little bit further into this subject. I will use diagrams i created and pictures from my personal tank build that i am working on right now.

The First thing to consider is something i did not mention. That is Flow. I do not mean flow (GPH) i mean flow artistically. Does it follow the correct lines that flow within the tank itself. Just because you have a square tank does not mean theres no curvy lines to follow. I will start off with a few examples of how flow works.
Untitled9.jpg

Untitled14.jpg

If you notice flow is everywhere and can easily be created out of any shape. You want to follow these basic lines (top view) and that is another way to figure out rock placement. These lines can be changed any way you please as long as your still using the same basic concepts and flow. You can have the flow even start in the middle with the bigger rock, going towards the sides of the tank to the little rocks. its infinite. FLOW FLOW FLOW. Cannot stress that enough. Looking at your scape from the top will help a lot to the overall look in the front view.

Next thing i will discuss is How to create unique structures with plain rock. First you need a chisel, hammer, and maybe a saw even. each tool provides a different cut and shape. Using the chisel helps you be more precise and accurate when you hit it with a hammer. When you use just a hammer you’re just smashing that rock and its a gamble how it will form in the end. And a saw allows you to keep the form of the rock and create a perfectly flat surface on the bottom helping the rock not be all jagged on when your trying to make it have a certain look (ex. a lean in the rock). Using plastic coat hangers, egg crate, aquarium safe epoxy, and superglue will be needed in the end to “finalize” your new scape.

So you have your boring globs of rock. For me, thinking, and pulling up reference Is the first step. Look at your rock, then look at one of the tanks that inspire you. Try to mimic, but not copy a certain part of their rock work. Make it your own though. Start breaking out the tools and create those pieces. You use all sorts of shapes and size rocks to create a structure that looks like one. Try and utalize as much of your rock as possible. You can even stick the little pieces over the epoxy to hide it. Remember to make the formation look as organic and real as possible.

_MG_5271-Version2.jpg

Untitled10.jpg

_MG_5277.jpg

Untitled11.jpg

_MG_5276.jpg

Untitled12.jpg

_MG_5275.jpg

Untitled13.jpg

OP
OP
Veganbrian

Veganbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_MG_5274.jpg

_MG_5272.jpg

Like i mentioned before, if you create a formation that you’re not sure about but want to try others, TAKE PICTURES! you would be surprised how easy it is to forget what that one you liked originally looked like after a few hours of trying to make it the best you can. Just like in art class, make sure to step back and take a good look at it from a distance. It really does help a lot. Also, look at the top view and even the sides. Overhangs create shadows and so does leaning certain rocks. Take that into account to create dynamic contrast within the structure once its lit. Take pictures of your final decided rock work in case you knock it over while you epoxy it together. I either drill the plastic rod into the rocks for extra support or epoxy them well hidden behind the rock work and onto the egg crate. You will never have to worry about hitting it and knocking it over while doing tank maintenance.
Another thing to remember is the use of sand and how it is going to affect you caves and ledges you created. Make your smallest rocks in the foreground big enough that your sand will not completely cover them and ruin the downward effect.

I hope this helps you further understand the Trick to aquascaping! :)

fluffybeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much; this is the first theoretical guide to aquascaping I have come across and is much appreciated. Youtube videos of 'get rock, place rock in tank' can only carry one so far :)

Small comment/question for you. Most suggestions for terrestrial flower gardens and FW planted tanks say to 'group' like colors and textures. It seems that kind of guideline would conflict with 'let no two colors touch', and to me too much chaos would ruin the flow. Are these two rules of thumb working on different perspectives; like individuals grouped together by color, then a group of one color next to a group of a contrasting color, or are these two opposing ideas?

Thanks

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stunned and this has made me think about my new 125gl tank build after the holidays... Thank you

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a awesome thread, want to do this for a long time but (there's always a but) working as a landscape contrator didn't never bother to do so.
Thanks for doing this.
Btw, this need to be made as a sticky thread, will help tons of ppl from now on.
Or made it into a book "101 the rockscape a reef-tank"

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread, i will be looking at aquascapping a 125 or larger when we move into our new house. I have 3 tanks worht of rocks and we are going to just have one. So rocks from my 55 75 sumps and nano all going into one design, i will have alot to work with. but i alway get worried when i leave it out of water to play with design that i will kill it off

OP
OP
Veganbrian

Veganbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much; this is the first theoretical guide to aquascaping I have come across and is much appreciated. Youtube videos of 'get rock, place rock in tank' can only carry one so far :)

Small comment/question for you. Most suggestions for terrestrial flower gardens and FW planted tanks say to 'group' like colors and textures. It seems that kind of guideline would conflict with 'let no two colors touch', and to me too much chaos would ruin the flow. Are these two rules of thumb working on different perspectives; like individuals grouped together by color, then a group of one color next to a group of a contrasting color, or are these two opposing ideas?

Thanks

You are correct, There is multiple ways to accomplish good color theory when grouping corals. I was just using that as a Newbie thing to do. Most people just throw a bunch of the same colors in the tank and have nothing to compliment them. You can group colors in different spots. Maybe i'll go more in depth about that later on. I'm just to tired to write another section to this ATM lol.

I am stunned and this has made me think about my new 125gl tank build after the holidays... Thank you

You're welcome! :)
This is a awesome thread, want to do this for a long time but (there's always a but) working as a landscape contrator didn't never bother to do so.
Thanks for doing this.
Btw, this need to be made as a sticky thread, will help tons of ppl from now on.
Or made it into a book "101 the rockscape a reef-tank"
No problem. Landscaping, You must have a good grasp on layout and flow then. :) any suggestions to help others can be added.
awesome write up thanks for the great info
You're welcome!
great thread, i will be looking at aquascapping a 125 or larger when we move into our new house. I have 3 tanks worht of rocks and we are going to just have one. So rocks from my 55 75 sumps and nano all going into one design, i will have alot to work with. but i alway get worried when i leave it out of water to play with design that i will kill it off

You should be fine, just keep them in water till you're ready to scape them. You should probably let the tank sit for a few weeks to make sure you dont restart a cycle. You should be fine though.

Beachbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another easy way to assist with placement is to get out the measuring tape and grid out the rule of thirds on the glass with blue painters tape. Scape, step back and look, modify, step back... This really helps with visualizing the grid and is easily removed (no residue with painters tape) once done.

ambrosiozoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is awesome! their are some killer tank pics. makes me want to redesign my tank
Another easy way to assist with placement is to get out the measuring tape and grid out the rule of thirds on the glass with blue painters tape. Scape, step back and look, modify, step back... This really helps with visualizing the grid and is easily removed (no residue with painters tape) once done.

OP
OP
Veganbrian

Veganbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that i would of done is flipped the whole thing. That taller right side piece should of been in from of the overflow box to help disguise it. Its very minimalist but i like that.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great write up. I have been struggling with figuring out how to Aqua scape my new tank. I'm open to ideas if your willing help me out. It's a very unique tank. The dimensions are 4'long x38"tall x12" front to back. Here are a couple pics of the tank.
3Ec3Gd3K85L95E65Kecb65203bc4f9efc198f.jpg

This is the tank empty. I was going to use the pvc and pond foam to make rock pillars as well as do a false wall on the back. Do you have any advice for me and my difficult tank lol
20121115_190601.jpg

I was messing around on my phone and came up with this
Tankidea2.png

Thanks again,

Ricky,

medicme1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with reef systems that have rock walls such as mine how would you suggest aquascaping it? I have ideas in my head but at times i feel like there is to much rock.
tank.jpg

so can you give me ideas on this? Thanks so much!

tank.jpg

OP
OP
Veganbrian

Veganbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great write up. I have been struggling with figuring out how to Aqua scape my new tank. I'm open to ideas if your willing help me out. It's a very unique tank. The dimensions are 4'long x38"tall x12" front to back. Here are a couple pics of the tank.
3Ec3Gd3K85L95E65Kecb65203bc4f9efc198f.jpg

This is the tank empty. I was going to use the pvc and pond foam to make rock pillars as well as do a false wall on the back. Do you have any advice for me and my difficult tank lol
20121115_190601.jpg

I was messing around on my phone and came up with this
Tankidea2.png

Thanks again,

Ricky,

I have to be honest first of all. My personal opinion on rock walls, is to not do them. I guess to my eye they make everything look cluttered. If thats what you're into then do it by all means. What i would do with the tall tank is, Make two tall structures one being about 3/4ths of the taller one in height. You could do tonga branch and have them intertwine with eachother. Very cool tank! good luck and post pictures of your aquascape and i can be more specific. :)

Great write up!

Thank you :D

with reef systems that have rock walls such as mine how would you suggest aquascaping it? I have ideas in my head but at times i feel like there is to much rock. tank.jpg
so can you give me ideas on this? Thanks so much!

I would move the whole structure off centered to the left. Then maybe make a little island on the right in the foreground. maybe trail it off into the middle. Hard to explain over text honestly. Take a look at my charts for flow in the reef tank. :) good luck!

Back