Tips on Valentini training

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have always wanted a puffer but i only have a reef tank and dont have a fowlr running. So i found the Valentini puffer fish. Well i found a place selling tiny one of them aka young .75" to 1". I setup my QT tank again in anticipation but have not ordered yet cause i didnt have the funds for the shipping lol.

So i would like to do some training and testing with it while i have it in the QT.
How should i go about getting it on frozen? only thing i have seen is garlic on the frozen to entice.

I also plan to take a single zoa and put it in there to gauge the fish interest.
Same with an lps.

any tips are greatly appreciated

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's not eating I would take some shrimp and smear it into a small rock, coral skeleton, or clamshell. Live food also works well to get them eating. As for garlic, I've never had much luck with it (just my experience). It does seem to work well for others though.
Mine pretty much ignores corals. Clean up crew is a different story, at least small ones.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really train fish not to eat something.

For live foods you could try feeder shrimp, black worms, or possibly crabs.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My valentini took to frozen mysis day one as well as flakes and some pellets when offered. I'm also lucky so far only nipped my montis once and leaves the CUC alone. He decimated my obnoxious tiny sea fans and vermatid snails in the first week which was nice.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of live food can u get for Valentinis?
Blackworms and whiteworms work well if you can get them. Most fish stores carry live brine shrimp. Like VA Reef said feeder shrimp or crabs would probably work too. I would use whatever is availible. However if your lucky he may eat prepared foods when you get him.

Last edited:

leemosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound strange, but my Valentini loves nori. I used to put some in for my bi-color blenny, but the Valentini would swim over to it and take chomps out of it first.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my Valentini in my SPS system. He's only about 2-2.5" and all my snails are way too big for him to go after. He leaves all my coral alone and eats almost anything put into the tank. For finicky fish some clams on the half shell are always a good option too.

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed mine fresh shelled king prawns on a skewer that I'd just dangle in front of his face! He would also eat pretty much any fish food I'd put in the tank, both pellets and frozen. Remember there teeth are always growing so be sure to feed him something with a shell on it regularly to keep them from growing too big for its mouth.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea what kind of clams or hard shell things can i get to feed him and grind his teeth down?

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sundogs idea is a really good one! Alternatively prawns with their shells on or clams in their half shell once a week would be good too.

Back