To use carbon or not to use carbon, that is the questions

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok carbon on reef tanks that is the question up for debate. who uses carbon... who doesnt and what are your opinions on it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from a good friend of mine and long time reef keeper once told me to run carbon only a couple days month since it leaches po4 into the water column he only uses it for like 3 days.... I picked that habit for a long time since I was gonna listen to Any one with a tank of the month to back there words.... I pretty much ran that routine for a year or so then I got lazy and started leaving it running and I have never noticed any difference.... So to this day I run it 24/7 I guess it's better safe than sorry...

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon 24/7 in a phosban reactor, replacing it every 3 weeks. I find that it helps to keep my water crystal clear, while also keeping the fishy smell down, lol.

Sonny

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run carbon once per month for about 3 days since I began carbon dosing. I have not noticed any difference since I cut back and it's been about 1.5-2yrs. I primarily ran carbon to get my water crystal clear in the past but was getting the same results with the carbon dosing so I started cutting back. I think the only reason I still use it at all is old habits are hard to break but I'm trying though and actually haven't ran it at all the past 3 months. I'm trying to see if I can go completely without.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I depend solely on Carbon/GFO and a weekly water change for my filtration of my tank. I run it 24/7 and change it every 20 days. For me it not only helps keep the water crystal, knocks out bad odors, and filtrate some nasties, but it also keeps all the softies' toxins at bay.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is cheap insurance. I run it 24/7/365 in a reactor. You never know hen the softies and SPS will do battle and its nice to have the carbon there to mop it up.

eswebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7.... crystal clear water, less smell, removes nasty stuff...... just a water polisher. Do enough other stuff to keep the tank nice, adding media every once in a while to a reactor seems easy compared.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run carbon in a reactor. i dont change it all the time like i should.
carbon is typically a good idea to run. it does alot of things.

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it.
Try to change it out every 3 weeks, I forget sometimes.
Clear water, odor removal, toxin removal, all are good things.

mizzoumed02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7, I run 1.5 cups in BRS reactor and change out every two weeks. It helps with the clarity of the water and helps filter out anything that might get into the water with food or through air particles in your house that land on top your water.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7 365 days a year..I wouldn't dream of running a tank without it! The positives far outweigh any negatives as far as I can see

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use carbon 24/7 in a 2 stage BRS reactor with GFO.....I change once a month and I see a decrease in my skimmate when I replace it, so I know it is pulling out something.

cheers,
Darren

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon 24/7. I actually just switched from a dual BRS reactor to 2 singles, that way I can run GFO only when I need, but keep my carbon going all the time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back