Toddler Accidentally Swallowed Live Sand I was Seeding with MB7

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've swallowed a ton of sand using the gravity/suction technique. :D Fish poo don't taste that great~

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pathogens when present are not contained in the tank even when not directly injested due to cross contamination from a typically busy tank imo, we cross paths with them already it seems from places better at farming them imo

Wonder if this live sand in question is black with organics, or new wet pack sand, clean,

I don't think the brand new wet cycling material would have as much of a chance for them as a niche presence considering oxic and organic states and lack of exposure to other reef materials comparatively

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pathogens when present are not contained in the tank even when not directly injested I never had problems with vibrio etc around my house.

I don't think the brand new wet cycling material would have as much of a chance for them as a niche considering oxic and organic states comparatively.

Marine vibro is just one example and not everyone has it in their tanks. You can't say someone else doesn't.

OP stated live sand. That can mean many things and we need clarification.

Someone else mentioned swallowing tank water. That can have toxins in it and many other microorganisms.

And again, its just something to be aware of and not saying you'll die if you do xyz with your tank.

As a safe rule of thumb though I would suggest not putting bare hands in a tank especially with open wounds. I especially wouldn't swallow it.

Many people can have sever reactions to just touching a coral and the next person won't feel a thing.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be an extremist here but [...]

Usually, when someone says "Not to be a(n) [insert noun here], but [...]", that usually means they ARE being said noun, and do not want to admit it. Just sayin'... ;)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, when someone says "Not to be a(n) [insert noun here], but [...]", that usually means they ARE being said noun, and do not want to admit it. Just sayin'... ;)
Then you should follow my posts. I'm much more about knowledge and being educated.

And when someone says, just sayin', they're usually trying to be snarky. Just sayin'. ;)

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should follow my posts. I'm much more about knowledge and being educated.

And when someone says, just sayin', they're usually trying to be snarky. Just sayin'. ;)

I should "follow" your posts? You want a "following"? Sorry, I'm not that type. Hahaha! I saw one thread about salt testing awhile back - I commented in there, and thanked you for doing the testing. Is that good enough? :)

Snarky no, amused yes! :) You have like 453 posts in this thread following every other post by someone other than yourself (even some following yourself haha) that are all "end of world". One comment would have been sufficient. It was humorous, made me chuckle, but not snarky chuckle, just amused chuckle. Yes, I am having fun with you (to be clear). :D

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wanted to say, I think your posts have contributed to that end.

Im a vet tech, and did emergency hospital work for a couple years. I do have a little of the the worst case scenario mentality, because I saw them so often in the ER.
So my first thought was what about the bacteria (Vibrio , etc) from the water. I think being exposed passively to contamination in the environment as Brandon suggests is different than swallowing some water, especially for a toddler with a young immune system.
I imagine at this point in time everything is fine with the little rascal, but if it had been my kid I would have been extremely concerned, watching him like a hawk for illness and researching an infectious disease pediatrician, lol.

OP
OP
N

Newtybar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - sorry for the lack of updates. Your responses were all great lol.

He never exhibited any of the symptoms, which was good.

Jason - the live sand was Tropic Eden Reef Flakes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back