TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wire management isnt my strong side [emoji23]

Ha yeah ... I'll be learning as I go. Plumbing parts are coming and I should have them on Friday. My weekend is plannned now. I'll focus on the plumbing first. Then I'll stress the wire management.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly all I can say at this point is that it seems the best looking overflow I've ever seen. The fit and finish are what you'd expect from the folks at Synergy. My display is right at 200g plus the CL sump. When I get it set, I'll post pics. While it crossed my mind, Im not too concerned about the gph flow on it because I think it's rate at 1500 - which is enough.

We rate it at 1500 gph, but we are soon going to show that it can actually handle more ;)

Ha yeah ... I'll be learning as I go. Plumbing parts are coming and I should have them on Friday. My weekend is plannned now. I'll focus on the plumbing first. Then I'll stress the wire management.

Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel as we are getting ready to release the video on how to plumb the overflow.

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love to do the plumbing! Id do it for free!

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still working on the plumbing. But I thought I'd give an update. The tank was delivered. God was it heavy. I'm glad I asked some friends to come help. It required all six of us and fitting it through the last doorway was a Herculean challenge.

As you could tell from prior pics, it was packed pretty well. It arrived in great shape.

IMG_7407.JPG IMG_7412.JPG IMG_7418.JPG

After we got it in, I spent the next couple days working on the Shadow Overflow install by Synergy Reef. It was good, particularly after they posted their new install video.

I plumbed above the stand. Then I realized I didn't have all the parts I needed. That's my typical plumbing style actually. Ten trips to the hardware store and lots of cursing. But honestly, it's not been too bad.

Here are a couple shots of the stand with tank on and light hung. The light is a 48"
ATI PowerModule. It still needs the canopy facing to cover the metal hangers. And the edge trim around the tank.

IMG_7482.JPG IMG_7483.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG IMG_7480.JPG

I'll post more soon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

Thank you Rev. It's your meticulousness, and many others, I've seen on here over the years that's been inspiring. I'm just trying to do it 'right.' And slow seems to be the best way. Although in my case, it being in my office has been kind of a damper. I'm ready to get back to business as usual.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is done. Like I said, I know why people have fish rooms. So they have space to work and install things. Truly.

Today I am going to start the water test. I'll call it a water test but in reality it's really my plumbing skills test ... o_O

Synergy Reef CL-44 sump, Rollermat, EcoTech Vectra L1 return pump, overhead LED strip installed.

I tiled the bottom of the stand so with the grout joints, I felt it best to put a pad under the sump. So I used some of the carpet squares from the office flooring to give it a nice even base.

Next up: water!! Wish me luck

Thanks to @soffutt for stopping by last night for the encouragement.

IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7508.JPG IMG_7507.JPG

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is done. Like I said, I know why people have fish rooms. So they have space to work and install things. Truly.

Today I am going to start the water test. I'll call it a water test but in reality it's really my plumbing skills test ... o_O

Synergy Reef CL-44 sump, Rollermat, EcoTech Vectra L1 return pump, overhead LED strip installed.

I tiled the bottom of the stand so with the grout joints, I felt it best to put a pad under the sump. So I used some of the carpet squares from the office flooring to give it a nice even base.

Next up: water!! Wish me luck

Thanks to @soffutt for stopping by last night for the encouragement.

IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7508.JPG IMG_7507.JPG

I am getting ready to start a 265g set up and this is the exact color scheme I'm going with too. Very awesome set up. I'll be using this for inspiration.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looking quite amazing!!

Thanks . I appreciate it.

I am getting ready to start a 265g set up and this is the exact color scheme I'm going with too. Very awesome set up. I'll be using this for inspiration.

Thanks. It's been a challenge and I'd love to see your set up when you get it going be sure to start a thread.
The colors look nice. When I hit the red button on the LED remote, it looks pretty cool too. I'll post a pic of that sometime.

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks . I appreciate it.

Thanks. It's been a challenge and I'd love to see your set up when you get it going be sure to start a thread.
The colors look nice. When I hit the red button on the LED remote, it looks pretty cool too. I'll post a pic of that sometime.

I run Philips Hue in my home so I ordered the Philips Hue strip Light and a Philips Hue motion sensor so that when I open the doors to the sump it will automatically come on. Plus I'll be able to set it to Red which I think will look awesome.
IMG_2762.JPG

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Philips Hue in my home so I ordered the Philips Hue strip Light and a Philips Hue motion sensor so that when I open the doors to the sump it will automatically come on. Plus I'll be able to set it to Red which I think will look awesome.
IMG_2762.JPG

Yeah that's fantastic. I'm just gonna hook my strip to the APEX when I get it set up. It should turn on when I open the stand. I will look into the motion sensor (so long as nothing inside the stand can set it off) as that's a great idea too - seems simpler.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice! Great job on the roller mat integration. Plumbing looks amazing!

Thanks @mixer911. I want to give my two cents on the Rollermat hookup to the Synergy Reef Shadow and sump. I think it went very well. It definitely needs to hook into the primary to be able to adjust flow.

I realized that I was going to have to modify the box a bit. The intake and the return are 40mm metric fittings. Fortunately, BRS sells the connection kit. So, I bought the BRS connector from the 40mm to 1 1/4" for the return. The BRS kit comes with a replacement 1" bulkhead for the intake and a 3/4" bulkhead for the emergency overflow. But, I didn't really want to buy 3/4" pipe to connect into my emergency overflow. So I used my Dremel and without changing the lowest or left edge of the existing hole, I cleared out a bigger space for a 1" bulkhead. I had the Dremel set on mid speed. At high speeds, the plastic started to melt instead of sand off. The new bulkhead needed to clear the filled up roller to the right and stay below it. This was no problem with the schedule 40 bulkhead so long as you kept the existing left and lower edge of the stock emergency hole. To be honest, I didn't "NEED" to do this but I didn't have any red 3/4" pipe. Anyway, I then ran the new 1" emergency overflow for the Rollermat into the 1 1/2" emergency overflow line from the Shadow with a 1.5" x 1.5" x 1" T.

Here are some pics.
IMG_7519.JPG IMG_7520.JPG
IMG_7522.JPG IMG_7521.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

So, long story short: I think it went in pretty cleanly. The primary line with the gate valve feeds the Rollermat and then it goes back into the CL44 sump from the 40mm adapter to the 1.5" bulkhead. The secondary goes directly into the sump. The emergency goes directly into the sump as well but gets a link from the emergency on the Rollermat. My next step is to determine precisely how much flow I'm getting into the mat (or close) and dial it in a bit.

As you can see, I'm still using the filter socks to help polish water from the secondary that isn't going through the Mat.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back