Transfering fish from qt to display tank

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my fish have been in my qt for at least 18 days. Both fish seem good.. question is how do i transfer them? I did use copper so dont want to get any copper into my display tank... how do i do this with out any harm on fish or my display tank..

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still a newb myself, so I'll let someone else chime in for official transfer ways - but one suggestion I keep reading is not to use the shame net from your DT on your QT.
So maybe consider having a dedicated QT one so there is no cross contamination.

Cheers!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a note - 18 days is likely not long enough for a full treatment of the most common ailments/infections for your fish.

As to your other question, I either use my hand to transfer from QT to bucket with DT water in it, then pour it into the DT. If you cant use your hand (because its venomous or you think its icky), then I would suggest using a plastic food strainer to capture and transfer your fish. Oxo has some "square" strainers that make it really easy to catch fish in a QT and move them over without much stress or fuss. @Humblefish turned me onto them and for a couple of bucks, they are well worth it.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a note - 18 days is likely not long enough for a full treatment of the most common ailments/infections for your fish.

Totally agree with this. Don't rush it.

I put my fish through 2 week tank transfer method, then observe for 4 weeks.
Some might say even that's not long enough.

When it was time to transfer from QT to DT I made sure the QT was at the same salinity and temp.
Drain the QT down really low, then use a square plastic colander and gently herd the fish into it.
Then just scoop and go with a towel under the colander and off to the DT.
Lower the colander into the tank and let them swim out.

OP
OP
Albz

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i should just leave them for a week or so more?? I think im going go do a bigger water change so i get all the copper out since its been 2 weeks with copper already... i will do a large water change in qt and leave for a week than see how they do and move them over.. right now they seem fine! No spots eating and swim around and get happy when i go near tank. Thats good news

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommendation is a full 30 days in copper.

Clock resets if you ever see something you need to address.

12 more days isn't that long.

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I didn't answer the question though haha. Here's what I do.

1)Display and qt both matching salinity and temp.
2)Water from display in 2 containers (1 copper use container, 1 never sees copper)
3) copper use net (I use strainers that fit my containers) scoop fish, dip into copper use container with display water to rinse any residual medication.
4) move from copper use container into no copper container for a final rinse and transport.
5) into display.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i should just leave them for a week or so more?? I think im going go do a bigger water change so i get all the copper out since its been 2 weeks with copper already... i will do a large water change in qt and leave for a week than see how they do and move them over.. right now they seem fine! No spots eating and swim around and get happy when i go near tank. Thats good news

The only problem with this idea is that if they had ich even if the ich is not on the fish it’s still in that tank so it will reinfect the fish. So that is why they say if you are going to go with 14 day treatment you have to take them out of the tank at 14 days or go 30 days with treatment and then you are good to go.

Reason I know is I was planing on doing the same thing and when I double check with humblefish was told not a good idea for the reason above.

Now for your question [emoji23]

I go from qt Into container with Dt water then from there into a next container with Dt water then to Dt. I really try to make sure no copper gets into my Dt.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/

30 days at least. If you've been using copper then you need to remove it from the QT water before trying to transfer the fish over.
Even then, I would use a process that keeps all but the smallest trace of QT water out of DT. Net the fish into a container of fresh mixed water that matches pH & salinity of QT, then drip acclimate to the DT from there. Finally, hand transfer into DT.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back