Treating With Vitamin C

TinyTentacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Puffer for the Vit C info and telling me about R2R
I will dose the Vit C tonight and try to buffer it with sodium bicarb and check the pH before I added to my 110G system. It was very nice meeting you today at the swap.

David
xoxo

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kelvin, my dog's name is Kalvin!

I'd start with 1 tsp & work your way up to a tbsp, 2x/day. Are you purchasing the buffered VC? Get a few bottles.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kelvin, my dog's name is Kalvin!

I'd start with 1 tsp & work your way up to a tbsp, 2x/day. Are you purchasing the buffered VC? Get a few bottles.

and I work for a dog food manufacturer... it all comes full circle :neutral:

I already purchased the buffered powder VC, I had not started using it while I ran out of the liquid VC I've been dosing not so consitently

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested this out and after 2 months I have to seen anything different in my tank. I have been dosing 1000mg a day for 60 days. I am not conviced! In the past month I lost 3 Darth Mauls and some Caribean Alien Eyes. The Darth Mauls were added about 3 weeks ago and melted away last weekend. The caribean alien eyes went from 30 to 2 polyps. I got them about 4 weeks ago. I dont think Vit C saved the Alien eyes, i think it was the Iodine Dips that saved them. The iodine dips and the tropic marin pro coral curecoral did not save the Darth Mauls

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vit C Tablets. 500mg tablets one in the morning and one in the evening.

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I do not know anything about Vodka Dosing. Never done it never will

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do that with dosing Vodka too?
I know people say they both will drop your PH.
I do drip Kalk very slowly for about 6 hours after all lights have gone off will that help?

I use the stuff that Puff listed above (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798) I also dose vodka. When I started dosing vitc I was going to stop vodka altogether. I slowly increased vit c and decreased vodka till it was all vit c I was dosing (1/2 tsp 2x/day) I was starting to see an increase of algae on the glass without the vodka. While I was dosing vodka I only cleaned my glass every 5 days. I started adding in vodka with the vit c again and I am dosing 1/2 tsp of vit c and 2ml of vodka twice per day. once in the AM before I leave for work and once in the PM before I go to bed. I dosed vodak for several months and I can tell you that I love the results I am getting with dosing both.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browns, 1st of all, by using those VC pills--you are dosing with a non-buffered product & adding a bunch of crap fillers that hold it in pill form. They have a pH of 4! Also, 500mg 2x/day will do nothing in a 120g tank. I am adding over 9000mg, 2x/day (~23ppm), in my 100g system.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
*Do NOT dose at high levels (>10ppm), if you don’t have a skimmer! Especially on a nano tank.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
*Do NOT dose at high levels (>10ppm), if you don’t have a skimmer! Especially on a nano tank.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

Alright need a little help on this. I have a 29 gallon AIO tank. The back probably holds 6 gallon. Basically after rock I have about 25 gallons. How much of this stuff should I dose? Also I have been using Vit C Pills. I have not seen a problem with my PH dropping but it has only been a week. I have noticed more diatom. Is there something I can do to fight this? I also started dosing Vodka about 2 weeks ago. Will the diatom just go away eventually. I am dosing 1000mg a day 500 in the morning and 500 at night. I will also say that over a week I have noticed my zoas seem a little happier. I had a colony of pink and yellows that about 5 closed up onn me but never slimed over. They are open today. They where closed for about a week and a half, 4 days after Vit C they started slowly opening.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pufferpunk how you been?
I just ordered with your code. I'm gonna try this on my 24 gal. nano.
I've been following your threads on this for a long time so thought I'd finally try it.
Most of my zoa's/palys do well but once in awhile I get new frags that melt on me.

I don't really have a question for the vit. C but wonder why people dose vodka in their tanks instead of sugar? Sugar is cheaper and it does the same thing.

kass

Last edited:

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vit. c (same stuff as puffer recommended) and have been doing so very consistenly for the last 3 months or so.

The reactions have been really good to start with, the bleached zoas are getting a green tint, i also feel like the reproduction rate has increased as well. also my montis and lobo are getting to be very bright and i am certain vit c is responsible for it.

however lately i have had some starting to melt. i have been dosing iodide as well after my AoG's started melting. and since then i have had like 4-5 frags melt on me. and also from some mini colonies, they would start to close and some would start to die, but not the whole colony. i am not sure if this is related to vit c dosing. but i havent done anything else to my tank. i have looked for nudis, bugs, asternia etc. but havent spotted one. while some are doing this, the others are getting nicely colored still. any similar results, or anyone have ideas as to why this is happening?

and i have a more important question that has been in my mind for some time now.. i had added a refigium around the same time i started dosing vit. c, mostly deep sand and i had added chaeto initially and some red macro algae and a few mangroves. (i am trying to dose enough magnesium to keep the levels around NSW) even though the mangroves and especially red macro is growing like crazy. the chaeto has not grown at all which is really really suprising, but i had gazed over someone in a forum (dont think it was here, i searched but couldnt find it anywhere) that had said the vit c is hurting chaeto or impeding its growth. is this true? anyone have experience with vit c and chaeto?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back