OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled across this and I love the dimensions of your tank! I hear you on the sticky kid fingerprints too lol. I was wondering how you are still liking the sand you used. Have you noticed any issues with it after using it for so long? I really like the look of it:)
Thanks and...
No issues with the sand at all i really like it actually.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way past due for some updates. Need some hash tags in here... #reef2reef,#worldwidecorals,#mywwccontest

So for updates, tank has made a recovery from the windex issue in page 2 of this thread. But it took quite a while. Some people are skeptical that would cause any issues, but I'm quite convinced. There's nothing else that can bring everything from great to stringy and slimy over the matter of a few hours. Not to mention triton tests came back all normal parameters as well.

Anyway after some time, i added a large 40g selling tank before the sump, and swapped the 55g sump for a 75g. The newer 40g frag tank replaced a 20g i had previously. So now total gallons is around 335g in the system.

After some great success in a smaller system i have with zero carbon dosing, i decided to move away from dosing vinegar on this system as well. Some major changes will have to happen for that, including removal of my aquaripure sulfer denitrators. Which means less fish, more focus on coral. I removed my yellow butterfly, pbt, chevron, Melanurus wrasse, maybe a few more i don't recall. Trying to remove a really large green wrasse but he is impossible to catch. With those changes I've added a 36" lifereef skimmer.

Also changes to lighting, i kept my 2 photon 32 fixtures on the main tank and added 2 six bulb 24" t5 fixtures. Growth has improved with those pretty dramatically. I also went with more t5 on my frag tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More recently I revamped my water mixing station as well. I added a 65g mixing tank, and pvc going to everywhere i need water so no more hoses laying around my garage.

20170114_150851.jpg

And just a recent FTS

20170125_123423.jpg

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, a lot of wrasses. Very beautiful. Thanks,
There's 3 male leopards; meleagris, bipart, and potters. One female meleagris, xmas, timor, lightning, green coris, and a possum wrasse. Trying to get the green coris out. He's just too big.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Love the Wrasses. Question for you if you don't mind. I saw on the ATO thread you use simple gravity feed top off. What float valve do you use? I've had some issues with mine. I've never used anything but Kent Marine but apparently they're no longer available so I ordered the only gravity feed float BRS offers. I'm an old-fashioned reefer (since 1990) and prefer gravity feed. Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Love the Wrasses. Question for you if you don't mind. I saw on the ATO thread you use simple gravity feed top off. What float valve do you use? I've had some issues with mine. I've never used anything but Kent Marine but apparently they're no longer available so I ordered the only gravity feed float BRS offers. I'm an old-fashioned reefer (since 1990) and prefer gravity feed. Thanks for your time.
Thanks, and i use the float drsfostersmith sells which i would guess is the same as the brs one. Comes with an acrylic adjustable holder.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! Also, I love your combo of Wrasses. Do you ever have any compatibility issues? I'm looking to add a female M. Bipartitus once my female now transforming into a male completes the process. She started a few days ago and now has the male colors in her face and her body is just starting to change. I note you mentioned a Hawaiian Flame. Can you post a pic? The males are so beautiful. My system is a 90G rimless (48 x 24 x 18) so I have to be very selective due to space constraints. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPS Junky I still haven't had any issues with wrasses aside from the ornate i had to pull. At that time i had 5 leopards and the ornate wanted my potters dead after like 4 months together just out of no where.

I think i only have one pic of the flame in his acclimation box
20170312_105034.jpg

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's a gorgeous fish. I always wanted a crew of Wrasses but never wanted to have to cover my tank. I put one on when I added the M. Bipartitus a month or so ago. It doesn't impede light and looks ok so I'm glad I finally did. Do you mind my asking where you picked up the Flame?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's a gorgeous fish. I always wanted a crew of Wrasses but never wanted to have to cover my tank. I put one on when I added the M. Bipartitus a month or so ago. It doesn't impede light and looks ok so I'm glad I finally did. Do you mind my asking where you picked up the Flame?
Got it from a local reefer friend. Not sure where he got it but our lfs's are pretty good about ordering requested fish.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Trigg,

Your tank looks great! You have a lot of fish! And skimmerless nonetheless. Not an easy task. Are you using an algae scrubber or?

I mentioned to you my female M. bipartitus is in the process of transitioning to a male and that I intend to add a female upon the completion of the transition, and I'm wondering if you think the acclimation box is necessary when I add her to the system. I have no other fish in the system that are a threat to her (young pair of Pink Skunks that never leave their H. crispa nem and a Scooter Blenny). Is there any risk of the newly-transitioned male M. bipartitus attacking or harassing the female upon introduction to the system?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Trigg,

Your tank looks great! You have a lot of fish! And skimmerless nonetheless. Not an easy task. Are you using an algae scrubber or?

I mentioned to you my female M. bipartitus is in the process of transitioning to a male and that I intend to add a female upon the completion of the transition, and I'm wondering if you think the acclimation box is necessary when I add her to the system. I have no other fish in the system that are a threat to her (young pair of Pink Skunks that never leave their H. crispa nem and a Scooter Blenny). Is there any risk of the newly-transitioned male M. bipartitus attacking or harassing the female upon introduction to the system?

Thanks!
Probably safer to try the box first, but I've done both ways and the bo may not really avoid issues. I don't think there would be much issue unless the new one was already transitioning as well. Sometimes they can tell when that actually is better than we can.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks so much for your input! I appreciate it. I'll be certain I don't purchase a transitioning female!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back