Trouble with Leathers

camor101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the reef world,3 months into it. I'm having trouble with leathers (toadstool, devil's hand). All other coral are happy & doing well, but no success with leathers! Any advice?

OP
OP
camor101

camor101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Duncan, 2 bulb anemones, blastomussa, zoanthus, flower pot coral, torch, ricordea yuma…..and I forgot to mention only leather I've had success with is the cabbage leather I have. But the devil's hand and toadstool never opened up like they were in the reef shop I bought at.

took the devils hand back and 1 week later it was back to normal at the shop. Held on to the toadstool to see if anything would change with it…but nothing at all

Jeff Kurtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that it's normal for many of the leather corals to go through phases during which they retract their polyps, develop a waxy coating over their tissues, and then shed the coating. You can more or less expect this to occur when a specimen is moved to a new system or under any form of stress, though it will also happen periodically under the best of conditions. Sarcophyton spp. toadstools will exhibit this behavior quite frequently.

OP
OP
camor101

camor101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that it's normal for many of the leather corals to go through phases during which they retract their polyps, develop a waxy coating over their tissues, and then shed the coating. You can more or less expect this to occur when a specimen is moved to a new system or under any form of stress, though it will also happen periodically under the best of conditions. Sarcophyton spp. toadstools will exhibit this behavior quite frequently.
Thank you. Still new to the hobby and a lot of learning to do. Same thing they told me at the shop "give it some time, it's not dead".

OP
OP
camor101

camor101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals you keep
Polyp Duncan, 2 bulb anemones, blastomussa, zoanthus, flower pot coral, torch, ricordea yuma…..and I forgot to mention only leather I've had success with is the cabbage leather I have. But the devil's hand and toadstool never opened up like they were in the reef shop I bought at.
took the devils hand back and 1 week later it was back to normal at the shop. Held on to the toadstool to see if anything would change with it…but nothing at all

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Ill bet its just a long acclimation period. I have a neon yellow toad that took forever to open

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back