Trouble with other pet

Annabellam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So recently moved into a new place and my new yard doesn't have a fence up like my old place. I will not be able to put up another one until summer, but i know my dog still wants to run around the yard. I am looking at a wireless fence as an option but i am still unsure about it. Has anyone used a similar product with their pets?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all the rage around here. I know 5-6 people with them and all of them say they work as advertised. There are anecdotal stories about the occasional dog that will walk through the shock field but I am not sure there is any confirmed incidents of that. I think they run around $2k.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for my boxer. A lot of the success of those fences is in the training of the dog. Any dog can run through the barrier without too much problem. You have to put the time in to train the dog using flags set up around the perimeter. Once the dog is trained the flags can be removed. Our dog doesn't even use the collar anymore. Some of the more dogs more resistant to training can make the fence pretty useless. You can actually set them up yourself using products sold at Petsmart for a couple of hundred dollars. Won't be as nice or have the features of the true invisible fence, but they still work the same way.

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with invisible fences is that the dog can run through the barrier. The dogs I used to pet sit for did this a couple times. The problem was they weren't smart enough to run back in the border after they were done with their adventures. The other issue with the invisible fence is that it doesn't keep other wondering animals out, so there's always the potential for a another dog to come up and cause trouble. They can be a good containment system though.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for underground fences. I have a German Shepherd and a Husky in mine now. The only issue I've ever had with a dog running through was when my family had a Newfoundland when I was younger. Think black Saint Bernard if you don't know what they are. We put one of the stubborn dog versions on our Husky because they're known to be more stubborn with the electric fences, but our Shepherd just has a really nice, tiny, rechargeable collar.

OP
OP
A

Annabellam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the tips and advice and reviews guys. Think i'll give it a shot and also work towards more training. Good to know am not the only one who's had to deal with such an issue. It's encouraging.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had our Dobermans on one of these systems for years and they work great! We trained our dogs with yellow string around the perimeter of our yard and it had additional benefits as even without the fence in place we could put up a piece of the same string anywhere and train dogs to stay out of places such as flower beds, our living room etc.. after a few years we stopped using the collars and the dogs never ventured out of bounds the rest of their lives.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back