OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not this time.... I think I'm gonna just repair the drop tank and run it in the garage for now and see how hot it gets during our 120 deg summer... A friend of mine has one in the garage and said his is fine as long as he has fans skimming the surface... If I can keep it cool with fans I'm gonna set me up a big boy in the garage.... The wife don't want no more tanks in the house so I will leave this new one inside and if all goes well with the heAt issue I think I'm gonna rock a 1000 gal out here lol.... I miss my big tank but if I go big and just do predators so I do t need a couple thousand watts of bulbs it would be. Cool tank... I dunno will see how it goes...;)

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that was super fast. You could have put a 30 min video together and charged us to show us how you did it. I would have paid. LOL. Congrats.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually decided the next morning I was gonna do it.... It was a spur of the moment thing... Good thing because if I would have talked about it or farted around the misses would have caught wind of it and shut me down!!!! Lol it's just one of those things, ya know it's easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission... I miss my big tank that you got, so now I'm back with the big boys...;)

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap, I blinked and you've built another tank, lol... and you took the time to do a build thread. Very cool! Thanks for sharing with everyone :)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i got the stand done just now and were ready to rock!!!! besides the plumbing that has not showed up:(... to day i need to flush cut the tank and polish it up and glue the external overflow and were ready to rock and roll....oh ya im waiting on some special grade sea floor substrate also...rite now i got sugar fine and it's a pain althou it looks the nicest to me...
anywho on with the pics.....:)
here i am gluing the front to the back and sides
70f01a98.jpg

here you can see the pins in place and the solvent being applied..after about 30 seconds you pull the pins and let the joint bond..
a83a963c.jpg

89caf0a0.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and now for the over slit...
the slit is 1" tall and 4ft long..i made a template so i can just run the router down it and we got a wier.... for this application i used a bit with the bearing on top so i can have the template on the outside and then come back with a roundover bit to make it nice and round so the water just cascades and is silent..works like a charm...built plenty of them..

004cf96b.jpg

1cec8342.jpg

974d1813.jpg

eccec1a5.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once that was complete it was time for the internal background.... i choose black like always and the reason for it being internal is to hide the external box...
f29fa012.jpg

then i popped the bottom on and we have a tank.. minus a couple little things but it would hold water as of now....
4119912b.jpg

ae29c1ef.jpg

1d241ec0.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the stand i used aluminum like i have for the last few tanks i have built, it's very light and dont rust...therefore never staining your carpet..:)
the aluminum i used is 2x3x1/4" rec tube... all we had laying around that there was enough scrap of..normally i use 2x2x1/4" sq.tube..i cut it all on a dewalt compound miter saw with a non ferrous blade... and got her all welded up this morning,...
dea5da8a.jpg

7c685dbd.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and thats it for now....sons got baseball tonight so not sure how far im gonna get with the tank but im thinking it will be 100% tonight since im only gonna polish the 2 seams on the edges this time... it's a waiste imo. doing around the top and bottom when the stand and canopy hide them...:) more to come tonight or tomorrow morning....

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I would give both pinky toes, all my teeth and a kidney to have your abilities and access to tools and equipment. YOU THE MAN!

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I see why Bob "The Builder" is your avatar haha. This is a great thread you have going. Keep posting those pics!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the kind words.... Getting kinda mad...:( every time I order my plumbing from this place and pay next day or 2nd day air it don't show up for 5 days......arrrrrrr.....
Any who the tank is done siting in the garage full of water ready to go and I have no return jets...:(
82c0764b.jpg

9d0238b6.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back