Trying Out Dad's Other Hobby. What Does Everyone Else Do For Fun?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paper quilling here. Im a newbie though. Other than that. I kill fish and corals especially sps :)
Nice! I had to Google that and it was not what I was expecting. I don't know if I'd have the patience or attention to detail to do something like that. Any pics?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play a little music

10384892_284276711783675_2411459184221283244_n.jpg

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronics and coding! Arduino, Particle, web design...anything interesting enough to pose a challenge. Coincidentally, this "other" hobby benefits my reefing hobby in many ways.

Before reefing and California, I studied herpetology in Oklahoma with equal vigor. Lead field trips for local universities to increase understanding of ecological diversity.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronics and coding! Arduino, Particle, web design...anything interesting enough to pose a challenge. Coincidentally, this "other" hobby benefits my reefing hobby in many ways.

Before reefing and California, I studied herpetology in Oklahoma with equal vigor. Lead field trips for local universities to increase understanding of ecological diversity.
Cool stuff! I still have to look at the keyboard when I type so I don't know if I'd make it very far in a computer based field. What aspects of that carry over into the reefing world?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repairing watches and old school pinball machines.
I was watching something on TV a while back and saw a bit about a club that required you own a watch that costed over half a million dollars to be in it. There were some pretty crazy watches. What is the most expensive/unique watch you've worked on? Pics?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on becoming a master smoker myself

image.jpeg
I'm not huge on chicken, but that looks awesome. My wife and I found a marinade recipe a while back that replaced white sugar with apple sauce. It turned out pretty dang good and it was a diet recipe! I don't know if it would work in a smoker though... are there dig differences between that and grilling?

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching something on TV a while back and saw a bit about a club that required you own a watch that costed over half a million dollars to be in it. There were some pretty crazy watches. What is the most expensive/unique watch you've worked on? Pics?
I would not dare work on anything thats worth over a thousand. I own old zodiac sea wolfs and longines watches that are vintage well into the thousand area. I have over two hundred watches. Parts are so hard to get for the high end watches.

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP

Yea paper quilling is pretty awesome if one got the time and talent. There are some amazing works on the web that will blow your mind. Im working on something right now, ill post a pic when it's completed.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dare work on anything thats worth over a thousand. I own old zodiac sea wolfs and longines watches that are vintage well into the thousand area. I have over two hundred watches. Parts are so hard to get for the high end watches.
Wow. I'm sure it's hard decide where your money goes, tank or more watches! Seeing how some of those watches operated, I would hesitate to work on one period!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool stuff! I still have to look at the keyboard when I type so I don't know if I'd make it very far in a computer based field. What aspects of that carry over into the reefing world?

Ha, I know how you feel. When I first started coding, it was like looking at quantum mechanics theory. I've built my own LED fixture and dosing pump, for starts!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP

Yea paper quilling is pretty awesome if one got the time and talent. There are some amazing works on the web that will blow your mind. Im working on something right now, ill post a pic when it's completed.
I look forward to seeing it! My sister makes little plastic foods (I'm sure I just slaughtered the description of what she does). Anyway, it's another minute detail hobby that I don't understand how people do!

Back