TTM Decision Help

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted Mandarin and 2-spot Goby in TTM. Below has been my schedule, I did every 3 days besides between day 4-6 where I did two days.

Today, 1/11/17 could technically be my last transfer (day12) into my holding QT. Do I need to do an extra transfer here?

12 days is the minimum by what has been posted here, but in the instructions people always transfer on day 13.

Can I transfer safely into my 20 gallon holding QT today rather than going into another 5 gallon tank for an additional transfer?

Day 1 - 12/31/16 3pm

Day 4 - 1/3/17 8am

Day 6 - 1/5/17 5:30pm

Day 9 - 1/8/17 5pm

Day 12 - 1/11/17 Final transfer if OK with R2R

Both of these fish have been more finicky than usual and I lost 1 twin spot already. My QT is much more balanced, larger and has a significant amount of sand in a Tupperware for the twin spot to sift through. Also it is full of copepods.

I've had a lot of difficulty getting them to eat anything I've offered (live black worms, chopped fresh clams/squid/scallop, mysis, calanrus, brine).

I even have fresh algaebarn copepods on hand for mandarin, but if I don't need the extra transfer I'd like to get to the large QT this afternoon.

Thank you!

Nate

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted Mandarin and 2-spot Goby in TTM. Below has been my schedule, I did every 3 days besides between day 4-6 where I did two days.

Today, 1/11/17 could technically be my last transfer (day12) into my holding QT. Do I need to do an extra transfer here?

12 days is the minimum by what has been posted here, but in the instructions people always transfer on day 13.

Can I transfer safely into my 20 gallon holding QT today rather than going into another 5 gallon tank for an additional transfer?

Day 1 - 12/31/16 3pm

Day 4 - 1/3/17 8am

Day 6 - 1/5/17 5:30pm

Day 9 - 1/8/17 5pm

Day 12 - 1/11/17 Final transfer if OK with R2R

Both of these fish have been more finicky than usual and I lost 1 twin spot already. My QT is much more balanced, larger and has a significant amount of sand in a Tupperware for the twin spot to sift through. Also it is full of copepods.

I've had a lot of difficulty getting them to eat anything I've offered (live black worms, chopped fresh clams/squid/scallop, mysis, calanrus, brine).

I even have fresh algaebarn copepods on hand for mandarin, but if I don't need the extra transfer I'd like to get to the large QT this afternoon.

Thank you!

Nate
Yes, you should be fine doing your final transfer into your larger QT.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And observe for about how long?
I would observe for a minimum of 2 more weeks, preferably 4. TTM doesn't treat velvet but it will slow down the rate at which it multiplies. Now we need time to see if the fish is carrying any other issues that could be masked through the TTM process but not cured.

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will usually observe for 2 weeks in this QT.

Honestly I'd like to get the twin spot into the DT where I have more mature sand for him to eat from since he really isn't eating anything I offer.

How do you guys feel about skipping QT for the twin spot? I know it's a terrible idea, but it's life and death....

He did come from an LFS that runs Copper and prazi in all their tanks....

Tough call, all my fish in DT are essentially disease free, would be a huge risk

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly I'd like to get the twin spot into the DT where I have more mature sand for him to eat from since he really isn't eating anything I offer.

How do you guys feel about skipping QT for the twin spot? I know it's a terrible idea, but it's life and death....

Tough call, all my fish in DT are essentially disease free, would be a huge risk
Only you can observe the true condition of your twin spot. You have a tough decision to make. I could sit here and tell you the technically correct thing to do, but life just isn't that easy.

Do you think the risk to the twin spot is worth risking the other fish in your DT?
Do you think the twin spot would make it a few more days in the better set up QT to start feeding and if he doesn't, still have a chance to move him over?
Are you sure that he doesn't have a disease that is causing him to not eat?

These decisions are rough, but its one you really need to make for yourself.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DON'T do it! Good things come to those who are patient.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^ This makes it a no brainer, as subtherapeutic copper can mask symptoms of velvet for up to 1 month. So, I would observe for at least that long in total.

Is the Twin Spot not eating?

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twin spot initially would mouth food like live black worms and very finely chopped clam, but wouldn't really eat it. He really hasn't done that for a few days, even before I dosed prazi.

He is tiny, only an inch or so long. So his mouth and stomach are tiny. I've even used turkey baster to place choice food right in front of him. I've tried garlic guard which has actually been successful in past with finicky eaters, but ineffective with him.

Thank you all for the encouragement. They are going to stay in the QT and hopefully since it's been established for a while, it will help bring them around as it's a little more natural.

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I've put a scoop of sand from DT into each tank during transfers, a huge pain in butt, but he has even stopped sifting it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dochow Sorry, I know you're in a tough spot here... But the fact that he's not eating could indicate something is wrong with him. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I've put a scoop of sand from DT into each tank during transfers, a huge pain in butt, but he has even stopped sifting it.

Are you sure your DT is disease and parasite free?

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be 100% certain it is disease and parasite free, but I went to extreme lengths to make sure as best I could.

I went fallow many months ago, treated all my fish in copper followed by multiple rounds of prazi and then have never introduced anything into DT that hasn't been quarantined and treated, including all inverts/corals and especially fish.

Of course there can still be some super parasite that beat me

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wicked bacteria bloom in my TTM tank on day 2, should I just make the next transfer??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wicked bacteria bloom in my TTM tank on day 2, should I just make the next transfer??

You certainly can, but you'd end up doing one extra before the end of the 13 days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's causing it? Did you dose Prazi or some other medication? In any case, I would go ahead & transfer if the water is super cloudy.

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred this AM.

Not sure why it happened. I didn't over feed. No prazi. No other meds.

I switched to HW Marinemix Reefer salt from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and now I've noticed when I do TTM, I am getting a weird white snow at bottom of the tanks.

It's not there initially when I add freshly mixed saltwater to tank (I mix with power head for an hour or so), but after 24 hours being in tank I can see it building up.

By 3 days there is a fine layer over the bottom of the TTM tank.

It's as if whatever is in the HW Marinemix is coming out of solution over time.

It's like powder. If you swirl it, it does not go back into solution.

Not sure what to make of it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred this AM.

Not sure why it happened. I didn't over feed. No prazi. No other meds.

I switched to HW Marinemix Reefer salt from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and now I've noticed when I do TTM, I am getting a weird white snow at bottom of the tanks.

It's not there initially when I add freshly mixed saltwater to tank (I mix with power head for an hour or so), but after 24 hours being in tank I can see it building up.

By 3 days there is a fine layer over the bottom of the TTM tank.

It's as if whatever is in the HW Marinemix is coming out of solution over time.

It's like powder. If you swirl it, it does not go back into solution.

Not sure what to make of it.

I would stop using that salt until it has mixed for 24 hours.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back