Tunze doc 9012 microbubbles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I just installed the larger 9012 in my tank. There are microbubbles coming out the bottom but I know that's normal. What concerns me is that it's also coming out of a seam on the side of the skimmer. Is this a defect? Or will it disappear after the skimmer is broken in? I appreciate any advice to this.
IMG_20150330_223707_181.jpg

Thanks!
-J

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think I responded to an email from you yesterday?

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was me, I posted this here at the same time. I got the issue mostly fixed it's down to just a couple small gaps that I hope will fill in on their own. Other than that it's doing great already pulling tons of gunk out.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted on the bubbles. The 9012 is a very strong skimmer, in our testing it is nearly equal to our 9415 in what it can pull out, while it is smaller, the surface skimming makes it much more responsive so waste is removed very quickly.

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acronem...now that you have had your 9012 skimmer up and running for some time what are your thoughts? If I may, how big is your tank? Is the skimmer in tank or in sump and is your tank SPS dominated? I'm thinking about a 130 gallon SPS heavy tank and, skimmer ratings aside, am concerned because there is just not a lot of real user info available in the net yet because of the newness of the product. Would prefer samples but with this sized tank, I'm nervous. Any and all detailed feedback from an experienced hand like you would be great.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot to update this. I haven't had any other issues with it since I posted last. This tank is sump-less 150 gallons total volume, lit with Maxspect LEDs and was a year old yesterday. The skimmer is rated for a tank roughly double the size of mine so it does a very good job I empty and clean it twice a week to a week depending on how much i spot feed corals. It's in tank so after a water change or if I change the chemical media it does go a little crazy and foams for about a solid day but that's true with most skimmers. The only thing I don't really like is the need to keep a constant water level (which made me buy an osmolator but I'm happy with that too) or else it will be more/less efficient. Other than that I like it.
As far as stocking goes its an equal split between SPS, LPS, and zoas. All are doing very well to date growing like weeds, SPS as well. Anything else you want to know I can answer as well.

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot to update this. I haven't had any other issues with it since I posted last. This tank is sump-less 150 gallons total volume, lit with Maxspect LEDs and was a year old yesterday. The skimmer is rated for a tank roughly double the size of mine so it does a very good job I empty and clean it twice a week to a week depending on how much i spot feed corals. It's in tank so after a water change or if I change the chemical media it does go a little crazy and foams for about a solid day but that's true with most skimmers. The only thing I don't really like is the need to keep a constant water level (which made me buy an osmolator but I'm happy with that too) or else it will be more/less efficient. Other than that I like it.
As far as stocking goes its an equal split between SPS, LPS, and zoas. All are doing very well to date growing like weeds, SPS as well. Anything else you want to know I can answer as well.
A million thanks for replying and especially so quickly. I forgot to mention that I plan on having a very light fish load. I'd go fishless if not for having to add some to keep my wife happy. Love fish and their beauty but I believe them to be the source of most of the problems resulting from their natural processes and the waste they generate. As a matter of fact, I was surfing the net for skimmers systems as I checked and found your response. You have made me breathe much easier. I trust Roger at Tunze completely and I think he would not sell one of his own products if he felt he might end up with an unhappy customer but it sure is nice to hear the experiences of an objective, real life user. I'm sure I've worn the man out with so many emails about the 9012 not to mention another soon to be released product of theirs. His patience has been remarkable.

Glad also to hear you are sumpless. I hate the cramped quarters, the plumbing required, the risk of flooding, etc., etc. so, if I may take you sideways for a moment, I am also scheming how to hide heaters and reactors. I can live with the 9012 in the tank and powerheads, of course, but would like everything else out of sight so as not to detract from the beauty of the tank's contents. I guess a HOB (or hang on the side in my case) would not be the end of the world. I would refer not to have a false wall with these items tucked into but this too would not be the end of the world. all that said, I am interested in your thoughts about these and what, if anything, you have come up with as workarounds.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a medium fish load, yes fish waste can cause issues but is easily dealt with. Plus in my opinion there's no better free, consistent, coral food than fish crap haha.
Well, my system is actually fairly simple. When I got it there was no overflow, and the back was clear. So I kept it without an overflow, and just used a black plasti-dip type paint for the back. I have a Gyre 150 for flow, which makes it look pretty sleek. And the 9012 of course for skimming. Then the usual problems are how to use chemical media and where to dose in a sumpless tank. I have a canister filter (fluval fx6) that I use primarily for chemical media. My dosing is all manual, which takes away reactors and other equipment but does complicate things with keeping calc and Alk stable but it's manageable. It's been an odd system to get set up but easily my favorite that I've done so far.

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Don't be surprised if I check back in a few months for any additional 9012 updates. Happy 4th!

Mirsad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how did you solve your problem with micro bubbles? Because I am having exactly the same problem, where micro bubbles are coming out even from the sides of the protein skimmer.

Mirsad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind sharing how u solved the micro bubble issue...

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this skimmer for some time now, I even have a second one in one of my propagation systems. I was having the issue where bubbles would come out of the seams on the sides, but it disappeared as the skimmer broke in. I found that after a vinegar soak and good cleaning it would have micro bubbles from the sides again, but would again go away after about a week of running. If you just installed it give it a week or so to build up a biofilm in the cracks.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have bubbles from the top and bottom the issue is depth and air settings, from the sides, it depends how much, a few bubbles will be solved by biofilm build up in a short time, a lot means something is not installed right or the housing has a defect.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the simplicity of Comline equipment. A 9004 tucked into the corner of my tank is hardly obtrusive, in fact it's smaller than most overflows. There won't be a sump in sight on my future 120, just a 9012, 3168, and a couple of Streams.

Mirsad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. Well see when I adjust the air for example lets say I tune it down a little than the micro bubbles start coming out from the bottom. If I open up the airways all the way than the micro bubbles are coming from the sides and the top/front

Mirsad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the depth I have it somewhat in the middle. The water level is not all the way on the top nor the bottom its sort of in the middle

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the 9012 but on the 9004 I've found the deeper it's mounted the more bubbles I see. One quarter of the way up the front grill with the air wide open seems to be the sweet spot.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If bubbles come out the top it is submerged too deep, usually about 1/3rd of the way is about right. You should see a small waterfall into the intake and no bubbles escaping. The air should be as open as possible, as you close the air, the water moves faster (less air equals more water) then the bubbles get pushed out faster and further. Try raising it and running the air more open.

Mirsad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again thank you guys very much I raised it up a little and opened airways all the way so the micro bubbles stoped from the top grill. However still a descent amount is still coming from the sides. Even the collection cup it almost looks like it cant. Fit snug on there

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it ever been apart? Are you sure all the internal parts are lined up so it can close completely?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back