Undergravel Filter in 180g saltwater, fish, inverts, live rock aquarium

posittron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 180 g saltwater tank about a month and a half ago. I have a weipro protein skimmer, wave maker, and two cannister filters(one sun sun and other dophin),two powerheads connected with an UNDERGRAVEL FILTER. Yes, the person who was helping me building the tank put it in. I have 1 sailfin tang, 6 damsels, 1 doctor shrimp, 2 clowns and a mandarin goby. One of my saifin tangs died of white spot and I have seen signs of it on the saifin as well. Also, recently i've seen spots of algae on the glass. Also , I've been reading that the UGF is not a good idea so I'm a bit worried. Taking all the other things that I mentioned into account, I would love to here your opinions! thanks

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B runs an underground filter if I am not mistaken.

IMG_4786 santa.jpg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undergravel filters were used with the idea of quickly converting ammonia to nitrates. They were almost universal 40 years ago. Now that function is done by live rock. People use sumps now. The thing with a sump is it is separate from the tank so you can put the ugly stuff in it out of sight. Also you can give it a top to bottom clean without really affecting the tank.

I suppose that you could do a big water change and whilst the water level is low, you could tear out the under gravel filters. But that would be a Big bother. I never liked the idea of under gravel filters. They are called nitrate factories, which they aren't. Your fish convert the food you put into the tank in ammonia and the filter only converts that to nitrate. It does nothing for nutrient export but then again neither does live rock. You have to do nutrient export to keep nitrates from building up. That means water changes, macro algae in a refugium, skimming or better all three.

Now the notion was that eventually gunk would build up in the under gravel filter and it would have to be dismantled for cleaning. I am not so sure that I buy into that one.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets set this straight............ @Paul B uses his under gravel filter on a reverse schedule.
They seems to work good 40 years ago but not so much today with the exception of Paul.
If your tank runs over 40+ years with no problems why change all that, I wouldn't.
Your tank is fairly new and I would look into a option for a sump and LR in there.
IMO you have to go fallow on the tank anyways as you have Ick and one fish already past on and it's just waiting for the next to go.
Because your tank is new the fish came under a big amount of stress.
Not even sure if you went through the complete cycle as well.
Sorry to bring it the hard way but better correct it now than you spend more money in this setup and just quit down the road.
We strive here for all to be successful long term and not just a blue Monday.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for what it's worth, I'd read and interpret @Paul B's methods for myself if I were you.

He seems to attract nay-sayers like yellow-jackets to soda pop.

I don't get why the naysayers still haven't given up that newer is better....you'd think after 40 years. ;)

It's not "newer = better"

It's "appropriate use of technology"

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to attract nay-sayers like yellow-jackets to soda pop.
QUOTE]

:D

Oh No! Not the Nay-sayers. Everyone with an older tank than mine that does not use a reverse undergravel filter, raise your hand.........Higher. :D

Back