Understanding Bio-Pellets

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run bio-pellets in an up flow media reactor with the outflow directed in to the skimmer compartment or directly in to the skimmer itself.

I have a reef octopus BH90 hob skimmer on my 45 cube. I am running a biopellet reactor also...don't see how I can run the outflow into this skimmer as it is a hob. If I cannot do this am I causing to much excess carbon in the main water column? If so, would it be best to slowdown the outflow? Thanks for your help.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good.

Just a few exceptions, the identification of the polymer in ecoBAK and ecoBAK PLUS (polymers) has not been publicly released. The nature of the polymers and their formulation was covered in our patent application but not publicly. So stating that all bio pellets are PHB/PHBV is not correct.

Other than that, looks great. In addition, the bio pellets themselves don't feed Cyanobacteria. The Polymer is insoluble in water so it's not like Vodka or Vinegar that are in the water stream to feed the Cyanobacteria. What happens is that the bacterial biomass forming on the surface of the pellets can be sheared off by water flow and it can settle out into the substrate of a system. From there it can break down and re-release NO3 and PO4 into the water stream.

And regarding nutrients being too low for some coral types, I recommend to feed more. A well fed reef is a happy reef.

Grizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running bio pellets for about a year now using a Reef Octopus BR140. Nitrates 0 and phosphates .05 - .07 . I have an SRO 3000INT skimmer and I stuck a PVC wye fitting over the input to it and feed the output of my bio pellet reactor directly into it. I cannot recall anymore where I got the idea from but it works great

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... If you remove chaeto would you also remove a DSB from the refugium area? LFS said to add as much rubble in sump as possible also.

Right now my fuge has castoff shrooms, zoas and leather that I simply throw in when I find them loose in the dt- looks kind of neat. Would you need to stop lighting the sump as well? I read somewhere that you don't want direct light on the reactor but will light, DSB and extra "mouths" in the fuge area hinder the bp's?

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next time you think about "DOC organics building up in the water", you can think about this article and how organics are actually limiting, not building up.

Zibi the moray eel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I've got a problem in my reef. Mainly after when I change my cheato to biopellet reactor my rose bta shrink and stay with mouth open more often then before. I run 90 gallon system with two moray eels two tangs two cbengai cardinals two dwarf angels and pair of clowns.
It's heavy stocked so should be no problem with nutrients. All parameters are where they should be.

Nylon advice please.

I run pellets for about 4 months
14722153992241246640683.jpg

Zibi the moray eel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I've got a problem in my reef. Mainly after when I change my cheato to biopellet reactor my rose bta shrink and stay with mouth open more often then before. I run 90 gallon system with two moray eels two tangs two cbengai cardinals two dwarf angels and pair of clowns.
It's heavy stocked so should be no problem with nutrients. All parameters are where they should be.

Nylon advice please.

I run pellets for about 4 months

Ibra9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions.
1st: I'm using GFO+carbon reactor. Should I keep GFO+carbon reactor running when I start using bio pellet?
2nd: What can I dose when using bio pellet? (I heard ppl use bioptim, bioDigest, Brightwell aquatics microbacter7...) any suggestions? :confused: or do I have to dose anything? I mean not ca, alk, mg.
3rd: Is it ok to put the outlet of the bio pellet reactor near the intake of the skimmer? or It has to be inside the skimmer?
4th: What brand of bio pellet would you guys suggest?

What made me thinking about using bio pellet are less frequency of changing water maybe once per month because I just have a baby, and enjoying more time when I feed the tank. I don't want to change water every week or bi weekly. Right now I'm fighting bryopsis. Mg in my tank at 1800 ppm, keep it a month or so until they are gone. Than battle bubble algae and aiptasia.
I am more than happy to hear from you guys!:D
Here is my 45 cube mixed reef, 20 gallon sump with 1x MatinePure ceramic biomedia Plate 8x8x1 in, 5 small fish. Sorry about the unclear picture.

08-25-16j.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back