Unhappy star coral?

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I bought a star coral (Clavularia) about 3 weeks ago for my recently started tank (2 mos ago - all water parameters looking good). It has seemed happy, but my anemone recently decided to move to higher light & it got too close to the coral. I moved the star coral to a similar & safe location, but its polyps have stayed curled under since the move. Is it sulking? Unhappy? It is also closing up at night, which it didn't do before...

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got to post specific parameters you tested for and those value otherwise it just speculation.

Needing lighting as well.

I see hair algae in the image so for all I know it would be elevated phosphates and nitrates.

Curled tentacles leads me to believe it's a chemistry issue though.

Moderate to smaller water changes rarely hinder and often help though.
HTH

:)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys will tell you when something is up with the water.
Chemicals or heavy metals will make their demise

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have halides as well as actinic fluorescents, & the coral seemed perfectly happy until yesterday when I moved it to another location at a similar height in the tank.

Salinity 1.020-1.021 ammonia zero, nitrates zero, nitrites zero, KH 200 ppm, pH 8.4. I don't have any fish in my tank yet, so the hair algae that grew during cycling is still there but minimal growth.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise your SG slowly to 1.024-1.027.

Thanks for the values. :)

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 ppm is 11.2 dkh.

just wondering why you chose it so high?

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question - it's not intentional. I bought the system, still running & with live rock but not much else, from a neighbor. They did not have an ro/di system as our city water is good & they never felt they needed one. It's on my list to purchase, but the number of unexpected expenses has really been mounting & it will probably be another month before I can get an ro/di system.

So, the KH level is what our water comes with. My understanding is that 200 ppm is on the high end but still acceptable, so I decided not to play mad chemist & mess with it. Should I?

The neighbors ran this system on city water for 15 years. Doesn't mean the quality hasn't changed & that's why I still want an ro/di system, but it didn't seem especially urgent...

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a tad high.
With high ALK and ULNS system there can be some big issues.
Let it drop to around 8 and if like I stated there are no other issues they will be happier.
I actually use these to "tell me" when something isn't right in the water.
They give instant signs of problems.
If you don't catch the problem quickly they will perish

You are not using RODI water??
If not the buildup of heavy metals will be a serious issue with these

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm saving for the RODI system - since the tank I purchased was a running system I was unaware they did not have a running RODI. What is a ULNS?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULNS/ultra low nutrient system. :)

Some of us nerds get too technical. :p

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, water change was done, but the star still looked upset. I caved & put it back in almost the same place as before, hopefully out of reach of the anemone & slightly lower in the tank. Figures - it looks completely happy again. I think the new position I'd put it in was more squarely under the halide & it didn't like the unintentional increase in light. We'll see how it looks when I get home tonight (as long as the anemone doesn't move again!)

Not to worry, I am still taking your advice on increasing the salinity, & the piggy bank process continues for an RO/DI system. It looks like the Foxface I was waiting for is also finally in stock, so I'll be getting my starter fish (Foxface, a Basslet & a few blue-green chromis) into the tank too.

Thank you for all of your help & advice!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back