Unlevel floor...

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, y'all. I actually lost sleep thinking about this one last night.... Im getting my 90 gallon very soon. I live in a house that is over 100 years old. It has hard wood floors that are very unlevel. It seems strong, just Unlevel. Should I brace my floors and level them from underneath the house or just shim the tank? Ill be moving in the next month or so... I really don't want to brace the floors if I don't have to. But all the worst case scenario's kept going through my head last night... If I should just shim it, what do I use? Tips? Advice? Its driving me nuts! ( told you I was OCD) lol.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, y'all. I actually lost sleep thinking about this one last night.... Im getting my 90 gallon very soon. I live in a house that is over 100 years old. It has hard wood floors that are very unlevel. It seems strong, just Unlevel. Should I brace my floors and level them from underneath the house or just shim the tank? Ill be moving in the next month or so... I really don't want to brace the floors if I don't have to. But all the worst case scenario's kept going through my head last night... If I should just shim it, what do I use? Tips? Advice? Its driving me nuts! ( told you I was OCD) lol.
Do not try to raise the floors! Yes, it can be done, but it takes a professional. If the tank is going up against the wall, you should be fine, 90G is not that much weight. 4 people sitting around a kitchen table weighs more. Use composite shims. They are more plastic than wood and do not compress over time. Find the high and low corner. Bring the low corner up to level and then do the same with the other corners. Shim the middle of each span and then fill in where ever possible. The more shims you use, the more stable it will be. As a concrete carpenter , I have picked up and shimmed entire buildings. Shimming an aquarium is not hard, but take you time. Let the shims stick out until you have the tanks filled and then go back and trim them off. Good Luck.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check that the floor joists under your floor run perpendicular to your tank. If that is so shimming would be a good short term solution. Especially if your stand is sturdy.
If the space that needs to be shimmer is a narrow gap you could use drywall shimming - comes in a roll from hardware stores. I would probably not set one up for a month and wait till you move. Lots of work. Good luck.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall shims are not meant to get wet. They will get soft and fall apart because they are made of cardboard. Not a good idea around an aquarium.

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait to set the aquarium up If you're moving in a month because your gonna have to cycle the tank and that wouldn't even be done before you move and then your gonna have to drain the tank and then fill it back up and cycle the tank again so I would wait to set the tank up if it were me

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't set it up to tear it down inside of a month to move. Not wise. Hopefully the floor in the new place is nice and level. Patience is key in this hobby, so waiting a month should be be simple stuff.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, normally I wouldn't put myself through that kind of hell, but the setup Im buying ( and got one heck of a deal on) is currently running and comes with 91 lbs of live rock, sand, fish and corals ... So I HAVE to set it up...

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, go with a temporary tub until you move. Stick the lights over it with some powerheads, heater and weekly water changes.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't set it up to tear it down inside of a month to move. Not wise. Hopefully the floor in the new place is nice and level. Patience is key in this hobby, so waiting a month should be be simple stuff.
Second...It takes longer to establish a saltwater tank, I wouldn't even set it up.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to recomend a pond liner from tractor supply.
I have a 90 as well and was moving so I put it all in a pond liner and my sump.
This way you can take your time and set up the tank the right way after u move
IMG_0705.JPG
that is when I was trying to raise the pond up

That's the video I forgot I had

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back