UV and Ich

jmardis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

After researching to solve my tanks ich issue today I still have a few questions on UV. Putting my fish in a Hospital tank and treating with copper or hypo is not a real option as I have a 270g DT and catching the fish with ich will be impossible. Besides I do not have a hospital tank set up yet.

To solve the ich problem I am planning water changes and a uv sterilizer. Other than the haters out there who is using UV and with what success on large tanks?

My current infected fish are 3 - purple tangs, 2 - blotched anthias, 1 - hippo tang. These fish are worth a pretty penny but more important my family have come to really like these them and we really do not want to have to fish them.

Thanks in advance for any input you my have.
J

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think that will actually get rid of the ich maybe just prevent it from spreading as rapidly during an outbreak. Your fish will have the parisite until they are treated properly.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jmardis,

I have a large system too...375g tank.

UV will NOT eradicate Ich, but will kill free floating parasites depending on the flow restriction...

If copper or hypo are NOT options, I would try putting Metronidazole on all your food for at least 21 days...

Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

I have use this successfully on a scribbled and personifer angels that were in my tank..

OP
OP
J

jmardis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. The tank was scheduled for a water change so That was done. My LFS brought over a cleaner wrasse for me. I told them "those don't work" he laughed and said lets put it in since it is here.

I have to say the fished lined up like a Mc Donald's drive thru. He has been cleaning the fish of 24 hours. I going to ad UV to try to get some of it and heavy feedings and garlic. Everyone I spoke with said feed feed feed.

Probably order some Metronidazole too.

Learned my QT lesson for sure!!!

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubblewood,

you put it directly on the food, so most of it will not be consumed by the water...I believe it is safe, but it should say on the label.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back