Vanessa's build story

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a story of this old lady who decided she wanted a fish tank of her own, so she look on to that thing they called Internet, then there all the sudden she found a way not to be alone. The website that she found really helped her giving ideas like her own. She compared all this knowledge onto paper the was strung all over her house. This is the start and the story of my journey and a full build into the saltwater world.
1st day: all my children and grandchildren moved out of my house, I was lost on what to do. Later that afternoon I went to feed the grandkids fish and it was like a bell went off. :cool:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see it come together!

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few months ago I was in Seattle and I was attending a boat auction and there was a couple of Puget trawlers there will I ran across a few solid teak doors even one with the view hole in it so I proceeded to auction and buy them and thought they would be perfect for the start of my fish tank stands. Also there's my little collection of fish tank stands there is 100 gallon a 75-gallon 75 gallon and a 40 gallon and a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon

20160927_161350.jpg

20160927_161331.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I can't wait to see how this story ends!

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so with the chore of taking these doors apart this thing is going to be stout as i was taking them apart I did not know that they had re-barb going through 3 sections of the door. I guess its time to put my man pants on to take these apart..lol I was thinking last night that the 75g sump that i am going to out it on casters so i can so i can side it in and out for maintenance. but the one thing I'm worried about is with all the extra stuff gfo, dosing pumps, and stuff. i might have to make a cabinet for all that but dose all those things have to go trough the sump? or do they go directly into the tank?

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got the door as I proceeded to take all the rods out of the door now to get the tongue and groove cut then I'll be able to move forward and start sanding I can't wait

20160929_123106.jpg

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today I did a lot of sanding and more research, I have been making up my shopping list for BRS and let me tell you i will make there monthly quarter!! i have been sneaky with looking at other tanks and reading on what they have tried. I was posting a little here and a little there just being me....AND it hit me like a truck, What hit me you ask. well I looked at the side bar of my screen and it stated that i have made 252 post in the last 21 days. I don't know if my reading is causing this talking addictiono_O or the simple fact may be that i WANT to learn more. Just a funny moment of the day! Have a good one:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO no pictures today because it was a whopper...:eek:
First and far most i would like to state that a couple married or not should Never attempt to join 2 items on wheels or try to use table saws power tools, you get the idea:( there is only a few options from this.......divorce or death. Building frame of the 75g sump/refg. out of the amazing teak doors i got. this will some it up in todays nut shell.
Him: challenge - table saw- are you going to hold up your end.
Her: if you would get it going, im not going to stick my hand there
Him: oh wearing sissy pants huh?
Her: at least i read directions so a simple IE this would go faster.
Him: drops wood.......:mad:
Her: OMG your going to dent it and make it ugly......and that you can't get out. stop being a sissy:mad:
Him: Done for the day, goes inside
Her: giggles looks at the mess and chalks up that as " This is not the day we are going to get the sump/refg frame done'.
End of story: after a few Adult Beverages yes that means more then 1.....:cool: we decided to try again tomorrow.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man oh man, the joy of working together. Awesome idea about the teak wood, solid and a great water barrier. Please....continue!

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a great day, workin on the fish tank stands some more, Had to take a break to go get dog food and treats so in the car loaded with dogs on we go. get there and BAMMMMM sale! yes they had me at "sale" all tanks 1.00 per gallon. so I got my 20g Dr. Fish tank, then a 20g short stay hotel, then another 20g just in case. Ho and i did remember dog food, the funny part to this story is myself 2 great danes 3 fish tanks and 100 pounds of dog food. I had my head hanging out the window to see. oh so much fun......this fish thing I have totally fell in love with. the sad part is I have gotten a few not so nice PM's and i hope everyone realizes I'm new to this and I'm trying to get the best I can for my tanks. I don't have 10k to do at 1 time so that is why I have taken so long to do this. it has given me that chance to read and learn for what i want, and the goal I'm trying to achieve. I am a very kind hearted person and would never do or say anything to intentionally hurt anything. I am partially retired but am able to do most of my work at home. My male neighbor has been a blessing on helping me the b est he can I mean my dogs are big but they can't hall a tank around. I did cho0ose to go with 100g tank with a 75g sump/refg. I do not feel i was wrong in that choice. so those out there you know who you are.....I am smart no mater what you think and I will enjoy this site with the amazing people I have meet. thank you Vanessa

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound take a break from the main tanks with finding my wonderful cell at PetSmart I had developed stands for the doctor's office and the short stay hotel, I am finally now able to get back to work on my main tanks pretty soon the sanding of the teak will soon commence,in about a week I will start posting pictures I completely forgot how beautiful it is once it's candid keep getting more and more excited on how my tank is going to look:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes we need pics!

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been spending a lot of time in the hospital lately, hopefully I will be home soon to play and work on my tanks. I miss them dearly. Will get pictures when I get home [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home at last!@! Working on sanding teak still. But hoping to start putting pieces together soon. The 30g QT tank,and the 20g short stay hotel, and the 10g family gold fish stand is assembled now just a bit more sanding and staining it should be in the house by the end of the week. Friday starts the 90g main tank with a 75g sump/refg equipment shopping spree. I have been pricing when I can so I'm hoping this part won't be as hard as it seems. The only worries I have are the return pump and the skimmer I want to make sure are correct size for what I need. Will post pics soon

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your back home. I did the same thing when my kids left. Fish are waaaay cooler;-)

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after all the ups and downs I'm finally home from the hospital for a while getting back into the groove well starting to get the accomplishing of the stand for the hospital tank the quarantine tank and the local fish tank[emoji3] pictures will come in the morning when it's fully esteemed

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back