Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this interesting regarding ammonia tests:

http://www.seachem.com/cupramine.php#collapse1Six

Q: I'm using Cupramine™ and my ammonia test kit is showing ammonia off the scale. What is going on?

A: Ammonia test kits can not distinguish ammonia from the amine based complex present in Cupramine™ and will therefore give a false high reading for ammonia while using Cupramine™. Our Ammonia Alert®and MultiTest™ Free & Total Ammonia test kit do not suffer from this problem as they utilize a gas exchange technology that can distinguish ammonia from amines.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The liquid kits arn't going to tell you anything accurate right now. I wouldn't even look at them as long as copper is present. Be sure that you are viewing your alert badge with a white light (like a flash light) or in a bright room. They can sometimes look dark like that until viewed in a bright light. I have a dim livingroom (I get migraines a lot) and it was hard for me to read the badge without a flashlight.
I have always had better luck with having the light shine trough the back of the badge.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't have gotten this far without Humble's advice on this thread! Otherwise, I'd probably have been still rolling the dice on the effectiveness of Kick Ich

Glad to see they are doing better. As Meredith said, liquid test kits are useless right now unless you use the Seachem ammonia test kit w/Cupramine (as you found on their website.) Or just stick with monitoring the Seachem ammonia alert badge.

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - wanted to give an update. Went on a mini vacation for about 5 days and didn't have much choice but to keep the QT in automatic mode (auto feeder) and hope that the ammonia levels didn't get too out of hand. Came home that night - badge was still showing "alert" (no different from when I left)... but the yellow tang was doing cartwheels, front on end, and was having trouble staying upright. Wife said - "I think it's dying" BUT I wasn't ready to give up just yet. Did a 50% water change that night, fed a little, lights out. Next morning, he was swimming a little better - did another 25%, fed a little, lights out for the day. Night time, another 25% WC, fed, lights out.

By the following morning, he was looking MUCH better. Wasn't hovering on the bottom (or on its side) any more - actually swimming mid tank - side to side. Phew! Not sure what happened - but I was guessing it just didn't like the water quality.

Heading out again and I decided to take a calculated risk and get the fishes back into the DT with a working bio filter to last the trip. Stirred up the sand and did a 50% water change on the DT. Checked parameters and all looked on target with what I wanted - Slowly acclimated the fishes back; Yellow Tang was very complaisant - Blue Tang gave made me chase him a little.

All very happy back in the tank - I think the time in the QT brought them even closer together - haha - They all swim and move together now, moving from one side of the tank to the other as a group. (Kinda cool).

IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG
IMG_4561.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4566.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG

Unfortunately - with the better lighting in the DT, I can now see (presumably) HLLE on the yellow tang. He had it before going to the HT (Maybe not as much on the lateral line). I'm hoping that with better quality water - It will heal. (And my anemones are looking much happier too!)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately - with the better lighting in the DT, I can now see (presumably) HLLE on the yellow tang. He had it before going to the HT (Maybe not as much on the lateral line). I'm hoping that with better quality water - It will heal. (And my anemones are looking much happier too!)

The yellow tang does appear to have HLLE, though I think you are right that with better water quality and great food quality (vitamins added) it can heal up.

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried looking it up but couldn't really find an answer - what are the chances that any of the fishes that just went through the treatment to have another episode of velvet/Ich?

Reason I ask is that I just noticed a single white spot on the yellow tang that I haven't noticed before:
IMG_5383.JPG
(Left was from Jan 11 /Right was from Jan 30)

I'm thinking it's just the HLLE and proximity to spine. No other spots on it.

IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG

Blue tang lookin good:
IMG_5380.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried looking it up but couldn't really find an answer - what are the chances that any of the fishes that just went through the treatment to have another episode of velvet/Ich?

Reason I ask is that I just noticed a single white spot on the yellow tang that I haven't noticed before:
IMG_5383.JPG
(Left was from Jan 11 /Right was from Jan 30)

I'm thinking it's just the HLLE and proximity to spine. No other spots on it.

IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG

Blue tang lookin good:
IMG_5380.JPG
I wouldn't worry about just one spot. Definitely something to keep an eye on though.

How did you treat the fish?

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about just one spot. Definitely something to keep an eye on though.

How did you treat the fish?

I followed Humblefish's outline for Emergency Treatment for Marine Velvet Disease at the beginning of the thread.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed Humblefish's outline for Emergency Treatment for Marine Velvet Disease at the beginning of the thread.
If you kept your DT without fish for the full 76 days then the odds of it being Ich are very low.

I really would just watch it and not worry if you don't see more start to appear.

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you kept your DT without fish for the full 76 days then the odds of it being Ich are very low.

I really would just watch it and not worry if you don't see more start to appear.

Will do

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Believe it or not - it's actually looking a little better since I ended treatment. Particularly at the very front edge of the face. I just didn't know how long it would take to improve in better water conditions.

I tried testing for stray voltage but didn't find anything significant.

He's been chowing down on red and green sheets of nori. Maybe I'll try soaking some in Selcon or garlic that I have.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just came across this thread and it looks to be my Longnose has Velvet. I want to Double check with you guys to be sure. He is eating like a pig and not showing any signs stated in the initial article. What are your thoughts @Humblefish @4FordFamily

6fb9e4a60450e00b45a0dcd81cc66673.jpg
ae73387f23a709cc9337065214608d90.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been 10 days so far and I have done 2 FW baths and I have vitamin enriched his food and the Longnose is still showing no symptoms of Velvet aside form the spots. I currently have a full QT with a new coming fish.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back