Velvet question

yassin.ghanem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

Can their be velvet dormant in my tank? I've treated my fish with hypo for Ich, but should I be worried about them possibly be hosting velvet and not showing symptoms? It's my 40FOWLR with a baby snowflake and a wrasse, so their pretty hardy and I was worried about adding new additions after QT. I want to have an Ich free tank along with a velvet free.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

Can their be velvet dormant in my tank? I've treated my fish with hypo for Ich, but should I be worried about them possibly be hosting velvet and not showing symptoms? It's my 40FOWLR with a baby snowflake and a wrasse, so their pretty hardy and I was worried about adding new additions after QT. I want to have an Ich free tank along with a velvet free.

Have you seen any reason to believe they have velvet? For the most part you should see symptoms of it on the wrasse at least, but your right... these are two species with thick slime coats that are fairly well protected. You could always test your tank with a freshwater BLACK molly that has been converted to saltwater. The theory here is that this molly has never been introduced to saltwater parasites and would have no resistance to them. Being black would make it really easy to spot any velvet, ick or anything else really. After a week or two you can take him out and bring him back to the LFS then get the fish you really want and start them in QT with your mind at ease.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any reason to believe they have velvet? For the most part you should see symptoms of it on the wrasse at least, but your right... these are two species with thick slime coats that are fairly well protected. You could always test your tank with a freshwater BLACK molly that has been converted to saltwater. The theory here is that this molly has never been introduced to saltwater parasites and would have no resistance to them. Being black would make it really easy to spot any velvet, ick or anything else really. After a week or two you can take him out and bring him back to the LFS then get the fish you really want and start them in QT with your mind at ease.
I really really like this idea

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always test your tank with a freshwater BLACK molly that has been converted to saltwater.

Just be sure YOU are the one who converts it directly from FW to SW. Don't buy a black molly which has already been converted, because it might have had time to build up immunity.

OP
OP
yassin.ghanem

yassin.ghanem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Sorry for the misspellings tried typing that on my cell.

A freshwater fish shouldn't bring Ich in the tank correct? Also, how long should I take to convert it?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Sorry for the misspellings tried typing that on my cell.

A freshwater fish shouldn't bring Ich in the tank correct? Also, how long should I take to convert it?
Correct.

This is horrible but I've dropped mollies in saltwater and 2/3 survived. No idea how I had no idea what i was doing back then.

I would say gradually over a few days would be ideal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back