jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the sub!
That was a Christmas present I just got from my son. So, it will be featured up front for a while. If you notice in some pictures of the goniopora there's a dragon head by it. Bottom part of the jaw has worked it's way under the sand. That was a Christmas present from my son a few years ago. lol

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a Christmas present I just got from my son. So, it will be featured up front for a while. If you notice in some pictures of the goniopora there's a dragon head by it. Bottom part of the jaw has worked it's way under the sand. That was a Christmas present from my son a few years ago. lol
Glad the sub I was on never looked like that! :eek:

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I just noticed the algae area that I haven't touched above the pump looks cleaner. From at least this view. I didn't really look at it last night from the inside.

There's actually spots that can be seen through. Will check and post pictures of that spot tonight.

tapatalk_1483115768008.jpeg

blazedmasta

The Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing once a week is anyone having issues with keeping micro algae in a refugium? Like cheato.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing once a week is anyone having issues with keeping micro algae in a refugium? Like cheato.
I lost my cheato dosing 2x per week. Sounds like it can hold on for awhile but not long term at more than 1 dose every 2 weeks.

btw... Cheato is a macro algae, not micro algae.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started 1x week have a baseball size in fuge will see in a week hope to have cheato and weekly treatment or at least every other week soon

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't know myself what it will do with macro algaes as I didn't have any. Seems ulva is pretty resilient against it but chaeto is not according to some other posts.

I'm due to clean my ATS that grows micro algae well and wasn't impacted two weeks ago. Will see now and again in two weeks.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Turbos Aquatics ATS hasn't been impacted at all. Can see it was pushing out to the insides on both sides where it's flattened.

8d773bbaff79e54ff92defaa6b3755ce.jpg

b59a966ccf5c29098b14a9f642718309.jpg

899b2d4f56e88b78ddd93113029314e4.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if it's due to low nutrients or if the algae itself is being attacked.

Not sure but I had a very health bunch and within 2wks of dosing 6ml 2x a week it started dying off. Within 4wks I had to remove it.
I'm now dosing 1x a week. Added a small bunch of chaeto and it's not doing very well. May have to remove it as well.

It's been my understanding that the Vibrant bacteria is short lived and does not multiply so I would think just 1x a week would do no harm to the chaeto.

blazedmasta

The Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I had a very health bunch and within 2wks of dosing 6ml 2x a week it started dying off. Within 4wks I had to remove it.
I'm now dosing 1x a week. Added a small bunch of chaeto and it's not doing very well. May have to remove it as well.

It's been my understanding that the Vibrant bacteria is short lived and does not multiply so I would think just 1x a week would do no harm to the chaeto.
Yeah you would think so. I know I was able to grow cheato in my refugium with no issues. Started dosing 4ml 1x a week for GHA and notice my cheato started to get smaller and smaller. Just took all the cheato out and clean filter socks and pump of little peaces of cheato.

No3: 10ppm
No4: 0.03

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a basketball size bunch oc cheato just took out the last little bit size of a tennis ball so hoping the vibrant will start working on my Dino's sense I have no other algae in tank now

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well pull it out before it all dies if you have another place to it it

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several people have had a hard time finding bacteria in Vibrant. I've looked several times now, many more then I've posted, to keep double checking to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing is correct. The bacteria in there that I find most interesting are both the streptococcus and some type of very very small bacteria that's very hard to see. I certainly can not see it in my eyepieces. I have to close the iris a lot to almost closed which making using the eyepieces useless as it's way to dark. Then I use my camera software to increase the exposure a lot, bump up contrast and brightness to full. Even then it's tough to see and focus on. So, I really haven't been posting pics of them as you can't see them in still images against the other noise and in video its like I said can't focus on them but you can see their movement.

One thing I was looking for last night was some live streptococcus so here's a video of that but also went ahead and got some of the other bacteria in there that's about impossible to focus on. This is why I'd love to get a nice set of phase contrast lenses.

At ~1000x can see this streptococci moving around. Through the eyepieces I could easily make out the individual coccus that chain together to make the streptococci which I also confirmed with gram staining previously a few times. My eye pieces are stronger then the Camera's.

At 2000x it's tough to focus on the very small and started closing off the iris to help which starts to make the eyepieces useless. Through out you kind of see the other bacteria in there moving around but it's tough to see. It will either look like a tiny light or dark dot moving around.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give a sense of scale.

1mm calibration slide. Each division is .01mm or 10um(micrometer/micron).

With the 100x lens or around 2000x in that second video here's the what it looks like to scale
CalibrationSlide100x by Jason, on Flickr

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you're still having a hard time seeing it fast forward that second video to 3 minutes and 48 seconds and look out for this little critter I circled in this picture. Is well under 10um and probably around 1-5um.

VibrantBacteriaCircled by Jason, on Flickr

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back