Vibrant by UWC testing

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you're still having a hard time seeing it fast forward that second video to 3 minutes and 48 seconds and look out for this little critter I circled in this picture. Is well under 10um and probably around 1um.

VibrantBacteriaCircled by Jason, on Flickr
Are you sure that isn't just a small piece of my awesomeness that made it's way onto your slide? :p

Seriously though, that is fantastic work! I can't wait to get to the house to watch the videos. Not sure what to get next... more coral or a nice scope!!!

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that isn't just a small piece of my awesomeness that made it's way onto your slide? :p

Seriously though, that is fantastic work! I can't wait to get to the house to watch the videos. Not sure what to get next... more coral or a nice scope!!!

Hands down get a microscope. Much more fun and useful.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very interesting how Vibrant seems to be very selective or goes in a certain order of what it effects.

My hair algae has not been affected at all yet. This was my first week of only dosing 1x. I dosed last Sunday and skipped Wednesday. I have gone back to feeding my normal overfeeding habits. So, lets see what happens now.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goes in a certain order of what it effects

Works the same way with scrubbers:

The weaker photosynthesizing algae, which are any of the brown dust types, go first because they don't pull nutrients very hard, because they can't anchor well and thus can't make use of strong currents (much less, turbulent air/water interfaces).

Chaeto is next; it is opaque and blocks a lot of flow, so it is a weaker puller of nutrients, and also cannot anchor, and thus can't make use of strong currents (much less air/water interfaces).

Next comes GHA, which has more of a translucent "antenna" to catch flow and light; it can extract nutrients from the water longer, and anchor in high flow and air/water interfaces, and thus survive longer by extracting nutrients even when barely available. Unless of coarse the GHA is being eaten by fish.

Next come the tough ones that have hard nutrient strategies:

Bubble, which concentrates low levels of nutrients (when available) that are outside the bubble, into to high levels of nutrients inside the bubble. So even if nutrients go to zero outside, it has some stored inside and will take an abnormally long time to deplete.

Bryopsis, which uses "roots" to extract nutrients deep in rock. Even when nutrients in water are zero, it can survive from the rock. So only after depleting the nutrients in the rock, for a long time, do you kill bryopsis by nutrient removal.

And then cyano (and maybe dino's), which do not care about any of this; they can feed on food paricles, so if your CUC is not consuming the the particles, you will probably get cyano if there is any phosphate available at all. Dino's seem to be the one major difference between scrubbers and Vibrant: Scrubbers remove dino's first, and Vibrant seems to remove them last.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem to follow that order. I haven't really seen a pattern other then some people experience a quick die off of something, a growth of something else, a reduction of something, and eventually another die off.

In my case dinoflagelets went first, along with a quick reduction in cyanobacteria and growth in hair algae. Then cyano came back strong which eventually went away.

I've seen the same pattern with many others just with different things. Even in just this thread with a few others commenting. I've seen many say bryopsis was quick to go or bryopsis wasn't touched but xyz was. Or out of no where cyano outbreak happened or a couple posts above dinoflagelets just appeared out of no where. Etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1482255001398551563002.jpg I reduced 50ml
Peculiar it smells like agar

Since December 20th I've had 20ml of Vibrant sitting around with it loosely covered to allow evaporation. I've weighed it almost everyday with .001g accuracy. Past few days the weight has remained the same.

Empty container
36f114bcb7577bfa3867e4ff43947415.jpg

With ~20ml Vibrant added as measured by the cup it comes with
df5a7e3da6a3227bfceb9e3eefa39acb.jpg

After evaporation (I'm sure all water hasn't evaporated but close enough lol)
c00e966f286be2565ce7621c3a8a6b9b.jpg

Very thick and sticky
9be50d1226ddd30ded9b7559cbcf7806.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I can not come up to the conclusion that this is a carbon source.
8 oz bottle contains
.04 oz of vinegar
.08 oz aspartic acid
dosed 1@10 every 7 days
Eucalyptus oil is present
PH value of 7.4
0 alcohol content
Still working with this..
About eucalyptus oil:

Back