Video: Cooking Live Rock (not curing)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done!!
Uhmmm, I mean well done on the awesome video not how the rock will be cooked ;)

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never waste anything. It lasts and lasts... and even makes it on video at times. lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great video Marc!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question, but NOTHING seems to kill aptasia; does sitting in a dark barrel for 6-8 weeks really rid the rock of aptasia? Do you need to ghost feed the rock a little to give the bacteria something to survive off of, or does the dying algae, etc... do that?

This is a very timely video, as I literally was days away from taking down my 165 and bleaching/muratic aciding my rock due to an aptasia infestation of biblical proportions, as well as a valonia problem. My plan was then to start over and re-cycle the tank (fish and corals would all be in other tanks)

I would hate to do this for 6 weeks, and still miss a living aptaisa, and start all over again.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc, great video! It should be required viewing for anyone wanting to acid dip their rock.

I could never understand those that did this....thinking that they are stripping phosphates. If only they knew that any "released" phosphate with turn around and re-attach to the rock, unless they've included some means to remove that phosphate (which they don't). They also think that the foam action and the apparent dirty water is a good thing...because it looks like it's doing something....it's simply dissolved calcium carbonate. I've always stated that the only thing acid soaking does is give you less rock.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question, but NOTHING seems to kill aptasia; does sitting in a dark barrel for 6-8 weeks really rid the rock of aptasia? Do you need to ghost feed the rock a little to give the bacteria something to survive off of, or does the dying algae, etc... do that?

This is a very timely video, as I literally was days away from taking down my 165 and bleaching/muratic aciding my rock due to an aptasia infestation of biblical proportions, as well as a valonia problem. My plan was then to start over and re-cycle the tank (fish and corals would all be in other tanks)

I would hate to do this for 6 weeks, and still miss a living aptaisa, and start all over again.

In total darkness, aiptasia will weaken since they feed off of light as much as any other anemone. However, they won't just evaporate. You'll still need to scrape away those you can find, but you'll do it outside of your aquarium and not risk spreading them elsewhere.

Don't feed the live rock. It doesn't need any nutrients since the rocks are full of them already. Bacteria will find equilibrium, only as much as what the present food source can maintain. You are trying to rejuvenate the rock, shed the trapped detritus, and get the phosphate out. Plus kill off any nuisance algae present on the rock.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this video is a little misleading. I believe there is a difference between cooking and curing and cycling, and what you are doing is curing the rock. Cooking is turning live rock into dead rock. Its a complete reboot of the rock. Its not about removing phosphates or nitrates its about making sure any unwanted pests are completely dead, and unfortunately this means killing the beneficial bacteria and beneficial organisms as well. Curing is the process of removing the excess nutrients that are caused by the dead organics on the rock (which is what you are doing here) and to some degree building beneficial bacteria. Cycling is all about making sure enough beneficial bacteria has built up to convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Granted if you keep live rock in the dark for 6 years you have probably killed off a lot of unwanted pests (if not all), but in 6 weeks I bet a lot survive.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this video is a little misleading. I believe there is a difference between cooking and curing and cycling, and what you are doing is curing the rock. Cooking is turning live rock into dead rock. Its a complete reboot of the rock. Its not about removing phosphates or nitrates its about making sure any unwanted pests are completely dead, and unfortunately this means killing the beneficial bacteria and beneficial organisms as well. Curing is the process of removing the excess nutrients that are caused by the dead organics on the rock (which is what you are doing here) and to some degree building beneficial bacteria. Cycling is all about making sure enough beneficial bacteria has built up to convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Granted if you keep live rock in the dark for 6 years you have probably killed off a lot of unwanted pests (if not all), but in 6 weeks I bet a lot survive.

No, cooking live rock will not kill the rock at all. It's rejuvenating the rock, if you follow the steps I outlined. You don't kill the beneficial bacteria at all, it will be just fine even as you remove trapped detritus through the bi-weekly vigorous shaking and water changes. The skimmer can even speed up the process. And using something like Phosguard or Phoshpate Rx to remove phosphate from the water is another worthwhile step. And finally, nuisance algae will perish leaving behind nice rock ready to use in your setup. Six weeks is the minimum. You can wait longer, of course.

Curing live rock is the process of cycling uncured rock, usually taken from the ocean with rotting organic matter due to travel time between where it came from to your LFS.

ricky5415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jaws.
Cooking is making/recycling those bad livestock into dry rock so we can reuse them. There is acid bath, vinegar bath, rodi water.. Then it goes inside the tank or container with some good live rock to reseed them with all good bacteria + nice things...

ricky5415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I also recommend is put a skimmer in there after u done with the cooking and curing it in fresh saltwater with some good live rock. U will be surprised how much stuff u collected in the skimmer cup+ also speed it the curing process as well

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with my live rock from saltwaterfish.com 10 months ago and it was awesome. I may take the same live rock and do this again to eliminate some persistent algae ;)

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In total darkness, aiptasia will weaken since they feed off of light as much as any other anemone. However, they won't just evaporate. You'll still need to scrape away those you can find, but you'll do it outside of your aquarium and not risk spreading them elsewhere.

Don't feed the live rock. It doesn't need any nutrients since the rocks are full of them already. Bacteria will find equilibrium, only as much as what the present food source can maintain. You are trying to rejuvenate the rock, shed the trapped detritus, and get the phosphate out. Plus kill off any nuisance algae present on the rock.
My problem also is aiptasia. If this does not kill the aiptasia, there will be some left hiding in small crevasses or tiny holes in the rock. There would be no way to scape off every last one. Leave one on there and they will start to multiply as soon as you put the rock back into a tank with light.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jaws.
Cooking is making/recycling those bad livestock into dry rock so we can reuse them. There is acid bath, vinegar bath, rodi water.. Then it goes inside the tank or container with some good live rock to reseed them with all good bacteria + nice things...

No, "cooking" is not an acid bath or making it dry rock. That's something else.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I also recommend is put a skimmer in there after u done with the cooking and curing it in fresh saltwater with some good live rock. U will be surprised how much stuff u collected in the skimmer cup+ also speed it the curing process as well

You can use a skimmer while you cook the rock, and you can also do it after the cooking process is done. Seeding it with more live rock is a good idea to add more biodiversity.

Back