Vidofner's man-cave-reef

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a sketch of how my next tank will look. It will be a 120x120x60 cm cube which equals 864 liters. It will have a coast to coast overflow and use the herbie overflow plumbing technique. The tank will be in my little man cave and next to this man cave is the garage.
In the garage I will keep the sump. I've drilled a 125 mm hole in the wall that divides the man cave and the garage. This hole is of course for the PVC pipes to go through.

I'm still renovating my man cave with new hard wood floor, wood panel backscene and repainting the rest. It's tricky to do these kinds of renovations with my current tank in the same room. But I need to get started with the renovation since the new tank will be in this room aswell. So basically I'm renovating half of the room at a time. Right now I'm working on the half where the new tank will be and when that is done and I've moved over the live stock from the old tank, I will continue with the rest.

I've been running my old 432 liter system for almost 4 years now and I recently moved from my 73 sqm city apartment into a 165 sqm terrace house in the suburbs so of course this tank needed an upgrade :).

My old tank had a focus on acropora but it was a mixed reef with LPS's aswell. It started abit rocky when I decided to go for acropora. I had very few acropora that grew and most of them died within a couple of months. When I finally realized the importance of being anal with KH testing my luck changed. However I still had problems with some acropora not growing.
That's when I found out I had a major infestation of acropora eating flatworm (Amakusaplana acroporae). After 12 weeks of dipping and 6 weeks without any traces of AEFW I finally felt confident enough to stop dipping them. Here are some picture of my old tank before the move:

In my next tank I've decided to skip having LPS's (except for euphyllia) which will allow me a wider selection of fish. For example I will be having alot more angelfishes.

When I moved my tank I didn't feel like reestablish the live stock into my old tank again. Getting the rocks and corals out without breakage would be hard enough and to get it back like it was without breaking a majority of it would be near impossible.
The solution was to get a cheap plastic container (something you usually see at the recycling central :p) and put everything in. This made the move alot easier since I could basically just dump all the rocks and corals down this container without caring for glass that can break and stuff like that :)
Box_pallet_type_1000_solid_standard.jpg

I live in Sweden and sadly there aren't many custom aquarium builders available so I decided to order the display tank from diamantaquarien from Germany. However there is one in close proximity to where I live and even though the details aren't as great as diamantaquarien the tanks are still of good quality so I ordered my sump from him.

The compartment to the right in the image above is ment for water changes. The idea is to fork the pipe that delivers water to the sump. One end goes into this compartment and the other goes into the middle compartment so when I want to do a water change ill just turn off the water to the right compartment, drain it, fill it with RO/DI water and salt and when it's mixed ill just turn the water on in this compartment again and the freshly mixed water will combine with the tank water.

For the main display I will let diamantaquarien build a steel stand but for the sump I'll just build it myself. Here is a sketch of how my sump stand will look.

Lastly, here are some images of my current tank being run in the plastic container!

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently ordered 75 kg marco rock. I will probably need more but here is a picture of a 10-15 min quick rock scape I just tried out. I also did an unboxing video of this for anyone who's interested. It's in swedish though :)

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm thinking about how to do the perfect rock scape for my tank. I want to take advantage of the "golden ratio" but it's not that easy when you have two equally wide sides that look through.
Anyway, I did some googling and found some inspirational rock scapes. Most of these take advantage of the golden ratio
1f7d110b.jpg 686bbb4cc1c7d1994d558b8b45012427.jpg 13151032_1129044500490606_643761918_n.jpg 20130310_155755.jpg aquarium_above.jpg bktomodachi.jpg completed-1.jpg Completed-after-coralline-growth.jpg cp-farm-japanese-reef-2.jpg d50e8aa6_vbattach162215.jpg da1f3306a6d0f0afcabbb249a3bc8927.jpg DSC_0041-1.jpg DSC01893.jpg f2ed40802255b5bcb9e81b2c18127bca.jpg Focal-point.jpg image.jpeg ladda ned.jpg reefscaping01-642x336.jpg reefscaping02.jpg Rock1.jpg rockscape521.jpg thegoldenratio.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your upgrade! Looking forward to following your progress...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! Looks like a great build!

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention what kind of hardware I will be using.

Lightning: to reduce cost, i will start with my ati powermodule led/t5 hybrid plus a regular ati t5 ramp. Later i will upgrade the t5 ramp with Philips coral care led fixtures. I had the pleasure to get a demo of these in germany when I visited interzoo. Im usually against 100% LED but this ramp was amazing.

Skimmer: I will continue using my ATI PowerCone 200is. It has a capacity upp to 1000 liter so I should be set. If I see a reason for it, I will upgrade it thought.

Pumps: i will continue with my maxspect gyre, but I will buy one more. Im really happy with the circulation it creates. For my return pump I haven't decided yet so Im open for suggestions. I want 5-7 turn over.

Other filtration: I recently bought a fauna marin zeomatic reactor and also the products to run zeolight. I also have a media reactor where i will keep activated carbon.

Dosing: i will start off with using fauna marins balling with dosing pumps (ghl and fauna marin) but i might upgrade to a calcium reactor in the future.

Misc: I will dose phytoplankton when starting up to hopefully get a big enough pod population so i can move my mandarin fish to the new tank without waiting a year. If I like dosing phytoplankton i might just start growing them myself

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put together the stand for the sump today and it went so-so. The cutting saw i used was to small which resulted in crooked cuts. I was assembling it on the porch which wasn't really an even surface which didn't help making things straighter. Also I used way to big screws which went all the way through the wood and almost made the wood crack at some places.
However, it looks ok and even if its not perfect, it will still support weights several times more than the weight of the sump so I'm not redoing it
8f242d005765f17a3fbbeacbdece5b2e.jpg

I also put my monster ro/di unit up on the wall today
9f8bf05755b1d6e4954cde0a22ab67af.jpg

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recorded the work i did on the stand with caption explaining my mistakes so hopefully people can avoid them :)

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice upgrade! I love your pictures, they're so detailed. What do you use to capture the images? Also, I think that it is a brilliant idea to utilize the golden ratio for your rocks.
Great thread, I'm now following. :)

- C. Smith

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice upgrade! I love your pictures, they're so detailed. What do you use to capture the images? Also, I think that it is a brilliant idea to utilize the golden ratio for your rocks.
Great thread, I'm now following. :)

- C. Smith
Thanks! Im using a nicon d60 with standard camera lens. Been meaning to get a macro lens but I haven't gotten around to it. I shoot in RAW format so i can adjust the warmness in the pictures since photos always get way blueer in pictures than in reality

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm thinking about how to do the perfect rock scape for my tank. I want to take advantage of the "golden ratio" but it's not that easy when you have two equally wide sides that look through.
Anyway, I did some googling and found some inspirational rock scapes. Most of these take advantage of the golden ratio
1f7d110b.jpg 686bbb4cc1c7d1994d558b8b45012427.jpg 13151032_1129044500490606_643761918_n.jpg 20130310_155755.jpg aquarium_above.jpg bktomodachi.jpg completed-1.jpg Completed-after-coralline-growth.jpg cp-farm-japanese-reef-2.jpg d50e8aa6_vbattach162215.jpg da1f3306a6d0f0afcabbb249a3bc8927.jpg DSC_0041-1.jpg DSC01893.jpg f2ed40802255b5bcb9e81b2c18127bca.jpg Focal-point.jpg image.jpeg ladda ned.jpg reefscaping01-642x336.jpg reefscaping02.jpg Rock1.jpg rockscape521.jpg thegoldenratio.jpg
You mentioned Adonis. Does this have anything to do with the Golden Rule? Or the Adonis ratio? 1:1.618?

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned Adonis. Does this have anything to do with the Golden Rule? Or the Adonis ratio? 1:1.618?
Hm, no I didn't mention anything about adonis and judging of the Google hits i get that seems to be a bodybuilding finess program

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was sleepy when I saw this. Someone else said that you used the golden rule when designing your rock work. I now know he was referring to the rule of thirds.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, no I didn't mention anything about adonis and judging of the Google hits i get that seems to be a bodybuilding finess program

Sorry, I was sleepy when I saw this. Someone else said that you used the golden rule when designing your rock work. I now know he was referring to the rule of thirds.
I've never heard of it called Adonis ratio. The Golden Ratio is basically: If two quantities of ratios are equal to the sum of a given ratio. So mathematically the ratio is 1.618..., or also commonly denoted as the Greek letter φ (Phi). This is what I assumed you were doing in your picture where the rockscape was on a graph, but alas I may have been mistaken if it The Rule of Thirds, which I am not familiar with. I've seen a few people utilize the Golden Ratio in their tanks and rockscapes. The sight of a structure that has the Golden Ratio has been recorded in history as aesthetically pleasing. If you put it in a search engine, it might just come up with "swirls" but there is far more to it than a swirl. Sorry if I sound perplexing, I'm not the best at explaining maths or architecture.

- C. Smith

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of it called Adonis ratio. The Golden Ratio is basically: If two quantities of ratios are equal to the sum of a given ratio. So mathematically the ratio is 1.618..., or also commonly denoted as the Greek letter φ (Phi). This is what I assumed you were doing in your picture where the rockscape was on a graph, but alas I may have been mistaken if it The Rule of Thirds, which I am not familiar with. I've seen a few people utilize the Golden Ratio in their tanks and rockscapes. The sight of a structure that has the Golden Ratio has been recorded in history as aesthetically pleasing. If you put it in a search engine, it might just come up with "swirls" but there is far more to it than a swirl. Sorry if I sound perplexing, I'm not the best at explaining maths or architecture.

- C. Smith
same golden ratio i was referring to. it applies to the human body in various places. adonis, a greek God, was one of the more perfect examples of this ratio in a human. The most noticeable of those ratios being his waist to shoulder ratio of 1:1.618

OP
OP
Vidofner

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- C. Smith
Well in that case I'm going for the simplified rule of thirds which I thought was an easier to understand version of the golden ratio. My bad.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in that case I'm going for the simplified rule of thirds which I thought was an easier to understand version of the golden ratio. My bad.
No need to say "My bad.", it should be me apologizing for making this thread utterly confusing. Like I stated before, I'm not familiar with the rule of thirds. My apologies for being presumptuous. Nevertheless, the schematics for your new tank look amazing! I hope everything is coming together nicely. :)

- C. Smith

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back