Vitamin c and zoas

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some reading last night and decided to pick up some vitamin c to start dosing my zoa tank

I searched the web and found some older threads
And wanted to know if anyone is still using vitamin c and what your experiences with it are

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to because I had some zoa melting issues when starting out. Also had some high Ca issues I fixed around the same time I started dosing vit c, and zoas stopped melting. I noticed no issues when I stopped dosing vit c.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here . It's a form of carbon dosing . U have to dose twice a day to keep it in the system for maximum zoa intake .
I used the buffered variety otherwise your alk will drop . I purchased it at some vitamin website online . Calcium Ascorbate made by Nutribiotic 16 oz powder .
HTH

OP
OP
Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the bright well aquatics brand

Did you get any effects when stoping
How is your growth?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I had a zoanthid dominated tank, I gave the vitamin c dosing a try for about 4 months.
I didn't see any improvements when I started and didn't notice any problems when I stopped.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the brightwell aquatics brand of vit c. I didn't see any differences when I stopped. My zoas usually do very well but every now and then I get some that just never open well and eventually melt. My whole order from neptunes cove melted after a week. That was odd because I have almost 100 different zoas and got many others at the same time as that order. Doubt vit c would have made a difference.

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, my tank is mixed, but is heavy on the soft coral side. I just bought some zoa's a month ago, they are nothing too fancy, and I was surprised to find that they already started attaching to the LR around them, so maybe i'll wait on the vit.c and see how it goes.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help:

ReefAquarium.com said:
Vitamin C Dosing

This is another somewhat newer approach to carbon dosing. This approach is said to have really good effects on reducing nutrients but little impact on the coloring of SPS. Other soft corals such as zoanthids and some types of leather corals will benefit from vitamin C dosing through increased: coloration, growth rates, and regeneration of damaged tissue. Based on what I have read, using a manufactured vitamin C supplement can help reduce the risk of over-dosing and will make the process a little easier. The link below is one example of a vitamin C supplement.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/vitamarinc.php

The below link will help you figure out dosing levels for your tank. If you are purchasing a vitamin C supplement, I would suggest following either the manufacture’s dosing instructions or the below link (whichever one is lower). I have been using a vitamin C supplement in combination with another form of carbon dosing for a few months now and I am very happy with the results. However, I am using just under ¼ of the recommended dose. I had a noticeable improvement with my zoas and leathers after a few weeks.

http://www.saltwatermasters.com/articles/Vitamin-C-Dosing

Benefits of choosing this method include: Lower risk method better suited for beginners

Drawbacks of this method include: limited impact or longer time to see results, long term studies are hard to come by.

Full article: http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/carbon-dosing-in-laymans-terms/

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to to do it like three or four years ago, but never noticed any difference.
Similar here. I thought everything was super happy and doing great because of it but when i stopped everything stayed the same. I'm going to start again and I'll see if there's a difference in my frag tanks. I'm going to test a new amino product from a friend and will keep you posted

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back