Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

AJQ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5-10 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).
Keep refrigerated.

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc. No need to be exact--I usually round to the nearest 1/4 tsp.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day. Try for at least one dose being done during lights out, as VC absorbs better in the dark.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
*Do NOT dose at high levels (>10ppm), if you don’t have a skimmer! Especially on a nano tank.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!
Your link is dead :sad:

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well been using for a little while now. I did notice that my filter sock builds up with slime after a couple days so im changing every three days like usual. My reactor clogged up. It has Rowa Phos and carbon in it. Should I clean it out and runn it again or is it going to get clogged up. Haven't noticed to much change in the tank but my glass does seem a bit cleaner.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high are you dosing? For how long? This is the end result of your nitrate dropping. It has to go somewhere! How's the skimmer reacting to this?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today makes day six. I'm at two tsp twice a day. I did not really have any nitrates to speak of before. Well last time I checked. Should I not run my Rowa phos and carbon. Skimmer is making skim mate as usual it is a large skimmer. 5 foot counter current air driven. I will have to check my holding tank.

Last edited:

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's possible the carbon reactor is getting clogged up due to bacteria build up in your carbon, it happened to me while dosing vinegar

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's possible the carbon reactor is getting clogged up due to bacteria build up in your carbon, it happened to me while dosing vinegar
Yes, exactly!

joekool, How large is your water volume? I still run Purigen but I dose the sump after where that is placed, just in case it might remove some of the product.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volume is 250 gallon actual
I shut off the feed to the reactor the other day when I saw it clogged. I opened it today to clean it out ad wow did it stink. Ca I rinse my Rowa Phos out ad reuse it even though it stunk like bad fish.

I was dosing the sump right where the return pump goes pulls from not anywhere near the reactor pump.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right then. The VC is definitely boosting your good bacteria! Once the excess waste is removed, things should go back to normal.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its affecting corals. I did notice that my PH is on the rise. I'm now at 8.06 from the 7.77 reading for a couple days.
Can I rinse my Rowa Phos and reuse it even after it got funky.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O don't see why you can't rinse it in RO water. Your pH is fine--should actually be around 8.3. Sodium ascorbate is buffered to 7. If anything it would lower your pH but not by much. What is your alk?

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lil high. Ca? Mg?
Your tank looks fine. Unless the brown slime is covering your corals, rocks, etc. It seems your system is exporting it outside of the tank well. Be sure to empty the skimmer cup often.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skim goes right to a five gallon water jug from bottom of collector.
Ca 450 Mg 1385
I use Red Sea coral pro so the numbers stay high. I dose as well if I need to. The salt mixes to those s high numbers

Skimmer picture ha ha no skimming issues.
image.jpg

Back