Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up to two tsp at night. Dosing right at circ pump in display seems to be working. I have this one kind of zoas that opened not so much and now they are opening so I'm on the right path. Holding with dose and will slowly raise it soon.

Seriously thinking of switching to purigen I ran out of lignite carbon a couple of weeks ago. Dose anyone have any links to threads that talk about the difference or results vs carbon

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing VC about 2 weeks ago and after the first week I checked my Alk it it was all the way up to almost 12 (from 9 where it usually is). I stopped dosing for now. I know this happens to some people. Any solutions? I run 2 BRS dosers to keep Alk and Cal steady and once I started dosing VC I noticed a sharp increase in Alk and a decrease in my Cal.

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have tried to read thru this entire thread.. i read the majority but not all as it is quite lengthy.. I am intrigued.. and have a few questions about this with each of my tanks..

tank 1 - 30 gallon mixed reef, canister filter only.. can i dose this tank? do i have to have a skimmer? and how much would i dose?
tank 2 - 40 gallon zoa dominant with some leather and shrooms.. same as above canister only what would i dose if i can or do i have to get a skimmer
tank 3 - 93 gallon cube, sump with skimmer, fuge, phosphate/nitrate pads, filter socks, mixed reef mostly softies like torch, flower pot, candy cane, bubble coral, leather and shrooms, how much of a dose and what changes if any do i need to make
tank 4 - 120 mainly predator tank, have issues constantly with phosphates and nitrates ( have reactor on order) filter sock, skimmer, nit/phos pads, fuge. would it help this tank it has some coral in it but very few due to type fish in it. if so how much and what changed would i have to make if any
tank 5 - 30g bio cube - some shrooms n polyps rainbow anemone and that is it for now.. skimmer has never worked good and i really dont get how to make it work properly so leave it alone, tons of rock and filter pad in sump area.. would consider making it more coral dominated but need to know the hows and whats here too

thank you.. i am not very scientific and would appreciate the individual help

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely would NOT dose without a skimmer. I'd also get rid of all those your FW filtration (canisters & filter pads) & get HOB skimmers for those tanks. FW filtration is largely based on mechanical filtration & large WC (yes, biological too). SW filtration is mostly biological, as it is $$$ to do large WC.
Also, if you're dosing VC, I'd discontinue the filter sock--it's gonna get really clogged really quick.

I'm not surprised you'd have issues in a predator tank. VC should help a great deal. I'd dose higher in a tank like that: 1tsp, 2x/day.
93g: 1/2 asp, 2x/day

What kind of skimmer is on tank 5?

Abraham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question... For example if i need to dose 5ppm 2x a day i need to split The dose 2.5 eaxh dosage or 5ppm 2x a day giving 10ppm

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely would NOT dose without a skimmer. I'd also get rid of all those your FW filtration (canisters & filter pads) & get HOB skimmers for those tanks. FW filtration is largely based on mechanical filtration & large WC (yes, biological too). SW filtration is mostly biological, as it is $$$ to do large WC.
Also, if you're dosing VC, I'd discontinue the filter sock--it's gonna get really clogged really quick.

I'm not surprised you'd have issues in a predator tank. VC should help a great deal. I'd dose higher in a tank like that: 1tsp, 2x/day.
93g: 1/2 asp, 2x/day

What kind of skimmer is on tank 5?

actually the canister tanks are the most stable of all my tanks, best growth .. weird i know but that seems to be my way with things. HOB skimmers i can check into if size n space allow for.. as for the tank 5 skimmer it is the one that came w biocube

i also do w/c 2-4x a wk as long as temps are allowable, been hard to do them routinely lately with weather temps as my water does not stay up to temp..

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abraham, VC is completely used up within 8 hours of dosing. Full dosing every 8 hours is best but 2x/day is more feasible.

Last edited:

Abraham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And helps tonall The corals or just for zoas and lps? Does it have an impact to The sps's ?

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 WC/week on 5 tanks!? What kind of WC system do you use?
I only do 1/month.

lol i have 2 55g drums one in which i keep ro/di and one for mixed salt.. when i empty the salt i refill it from water tank and turn on ro/di.. both have a pump, heater and p/h in them, when i want to use either i just pick up the braided tube for that barrel and take it to where i want (both lines are 50ft long) when not usin the tube is in the barrel doing circulation as well

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been dowsing vitamin c for about 1 month and every thing is doing great my zoas have never looked better. My question is has anyone tryed auto dosing with a Timer and pump ? Like alk and cal is dosed

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting tired of dealing with the ph drop. what are you using to combat this. I'm thinking of setting up kalkwasser to keep ph up.
Im using the stuff you had me get from iherb and have been using 2 tsp a day on my net 250 gallon system. Im thinking of going to a different source of carbon dosing also. I do know that the vitamin c is helping my scopas tang grow back his fins fram vitamin issues. I put vitamarinC in the food so not sure if it the combo or just the feeding. If its not the water than I might just do a different carbon dosing and go with the way im feeding. What are your thoughts on this

Also your right my filter socks get clogged and i change them every two to three days and wash them.

Last edited:

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What source of VC are you using & how much are you dosing? What's your magnesium level?

Hey, sorry it took me a bit to get back to this thread.

I am using the buffered vitamin C recommended in this thread from iherb.

My tank is a 75gal with a 55gal sump so it evens out to almost exactly 100gal. I started with a 1/4 tsp dose 2x a day and bumped it up to 1/2 tsp slowly over that first week.

I am using the standard 2 part dosing method for Cal, ALk, and Mg. My Mg stays somewhere between 1300-1400 usually.

Hope that helps. Thanks for all the work you have put into this (and other) threads about VC. Interesting stuff for sure.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, I am having a hard time understanding why your pH would drop like that, when you're adding a product buffered to neutral pH. :/

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back