WAMAS/CMAS folks

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a fair amount of DC area people at this site, is anyoen going to the CMAS/WAMAS 'social' at Scales on 1/28? Beer, door prizes, trading....:)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAMAS = Washington DC area Marine Aquarist Society
CMAS = Chesapeake Marine Aquarist Society

Personally I didn't realize that it was a WAMAS AND CMAS social. Sundays area a great day for me so I think I may show up for it. I went to scales just the other day and that place is nice! Not much there yet but I guess that is what the social is for. Once they get everything going there I would rank it as Top 2 LFS in Maryland along with Exotic Aquatics in Baltimore.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't been to Exotic Aquatics either. The social is supposed to be nice. It does sound like fun.

Here is the info posted

Please note! Orders for the salt and Bio Cube promotions must be received by me in my e-mail box by Saturday January 20! Please make your order now if you intend to take advantage of either promotion.

SCALES Tropical Fish Warheouse cordially invites WAMAS and CMAS members to an open house at the store on Sunday, January 28 starting at 6:30pm. Refreshments including food, soft drinks and alcohol will be served! The store is located at 744 Cloverly Street, Silver Spring, MD 20905. Our phone number is (301) 384-7839. This event is after regular store hours and is exclusive to WAMAS and CMAS.

Door Prizes! The Grand Prize is an Oceanic 29gallon Bio Cube and stand! Runner-up prizes too. You must be a paid member of either club to be eligible for the door prize drawings! Membership staff of both clubs will be on hand if you want to join or renew membership.

Join us for tours of the facility, social time, etc. We encourage you to bring frags to trade with other members but request that only pre-arranged trades take place in the store. Please also write "Frag Trade" on the bags that you bring so our cashiers don't get confused. We'll reserve an area in the store to store the frags until you're ready to go home.

Since you may be coming from some distance and may even want to enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two, we strongly encourage everyone to carpool. Find friends in your area to share a ride.

We will also have a number of promotions for special purchases on a variety of items for pick-up at this event. Look for announcements as follow-ups on this thread.

See you soon!

OP
OP
Reefwifey

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

We went to Scales last weekend and it really will be nice! Ficklefins, did you see those Discus they have there?!?! Man...makes me want to set up a fresh water planted tank again. I've been to EA....several times, it has some different stuff which is cool. We live kinda close to House of Tropics....which is kinda hit or miss. If you get there right when they get corals in sometimes you'll find something interesting.

Where in Southern Maryland are you Sandy? I'm gessing Rozen's is probably closer to you? That place is pretty scary...LOL...but sometimes they have something groovy in. Its kind of one of those places where you buy something and then pray for the first week that it makes it. =P

The social sounds fun, hubby and I will be there.

Kam

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am about 15 minutes from Roozen's. Sometimes you can find good stuff but it is very scary. I get a little aggravated when the one guy is back there. Everything to him is "rare and from Sri Lanka" so the price gets jacked up. If you go on Sunday morning before 11:30 he is at church and you get semi decent prices. I picked up some nice acan lords and blastomussa wellsi a few weeks ago. Before that I got some nice zoa's and paly's for a decent price.

Sandy

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm going to the WAMAS meeting at the DC Aquarium tonight. I should join CMAS. I haven't done that yet but Geo and his girlfriend come to our meetings both SMMAS and WAMAS.

Where is the CMAS meeting?

Sandy

OP
OP
Reefwifey

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh...that was a WAMAS meeting we went to tonight, did you go? I've never been to a WAMAS, my husband belongs to both, and I just CMAS.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did go, I'm sorry I missed you. I had on a tan jacket and a tan sweatshirt!! I was a bit bored because I am not into clams.

Sandy

Kevin68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CMAS meeting is at the Johns hopkins applied physics lab everytime. i go but can't really tell you what area it is in since i live in baltimore and just follow mapquest directions there - somewhere south of columbia i think. you can find specific directions at cmas-md.org

OP
OP
Reefwifey

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kev, I've been to the CMAS meeting too, my husband never misses them (John, Six-line).

Sandy - Eek! Hmm...trying to remember. Hair color? There was a fair amount of chickies there...at CMAS there is only a few. I was the highly bored red head laying next to the gators watching a movie on my Ipod. LOL. I listened a bit to the clam talk but goodness that was a long presentation!

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I saw you. I had my hair up in sort of a bun on the top of my head. I was standing there talking with a bunch of the guys!!

Sandy

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am about 15 minutes from Roozen's. Sometimes you can find good stuff but it is very scary. I get a little aggravated when the one guy is back there. Everything to him is "rare and from Sri Lanka" so the price gets jacked up. If you go on Sunday morning before 11:30 he is at church and you get semi decent prices. I picked up some nice acan lords and blastomussa wellsi a few weeks ago. Before that I got some nice zoa's and paly's for a decent price.

Sandy

ROTFLMAO

Wow... the things I miss being from Maine!!
:D
Laurie

Kevin68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefwifey,

I am not sure if i have met John or not. I have only been a member about 3 months and it seems that most times i end up talking extensively to just a couple of people each meeting. I do recognize him on the boards and of course as Jan. MOTM!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how many of you plan to attend the social this Sunday, but I plan on putting a big CZ on my name tag. I think it would be cool if other Club-Zoa people could add that to their name tag to make it easier to find each other.

Just a thought, and I'm sure I'll be the only one with a CZ on his name tag!
:sign3:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back