Want to dose Kalk for PH but need help calculating impact on 2 part dosing

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to dose Kalk via a doser so I know exactly how much I would be adding. I have a Deltec Kalk stirrer so I would just use that to mix it and have the doser take the kalkwasser from there. My issue is that I don't know which formula to use to figure out how much less 2 part to now dose. I don't want an ALK spike. I am are there are some calculators or a formula online. I just can't seem to find it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means an expert in chemistry but know enough to make me dangerous. Lol. I would start the kalk and stop dosing 2 part for a few days and see how much your levels change. I do both kalk and 2 part and had to play with it a bit.

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not suggest to stop dosing 2 part completely. if anything start dosing a little less 2 part at first with partially saturated lime water. test alk daily and slowly make adjustments till you get your desired results. I made the mistake of not using 2 part for a couple of days when I started to dose kalk to help with ph and oilla my alk crashed fast and a few of my sps and lps corals suffered bad. I ended up eventually not using kalk at all. my tank seems more stable with just 2 part.

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently dosing 75 ML of ESV 2 part. If Saturated Kalk is about 1/45 as concentrated as two-part then I would decrease my 2 part dosage to 70 ML a day and dose 225 ML of kalk to compensate. How do I know the affect 225 ML of Kalk will have on the PH though? I will dose it over 24 hours to minimize a PH spike, Although I am not sure I will have one because people dose Kalk via top off which is way more then 225 ML a day and they don't spike PH which has me thinking if the kalk will help at all with my PH issue. Question is if it will spike or just keep it a little higher all the time which is what I need.

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of using a co2 scrubber connected to your skimmer? My ph went from 7.9- 8.1 to 8.25-8.35

14565.jpeg

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one the skimmer already and I leave a window cracked open. I always actually has a decent PH without a scrubber and without trying to keep the window open. I started carbon dosing and I think that had a huge effect on the PH which had an affect on consumption which means less ALK dosing which further affects it.

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed about 500 ML of Kalk in the last 6 hours. My PH has continued to decrease. I am down to 7.67 but I don't see anything negative happening in the tank. I just ran my skimmer air intake line directly to outside my house. I hope it helps for now. I am also hoping that the PH begins to increase and stay on the higher side as the tank gets used to the carbon dosing. I was using Aquaforest products for the last month; a bacteria strain with a carbon source. It really hasn't done anything in a month so I switched to Vinegar 2 days ago. The PH was low since I started a carbon dosing a month ago so I opened the window in the filter room which kept it at 7.75 on the low to 7.95 on the high. While I am not pleased with those numbers they aren't in the danger zone. Anyway, it got very cold and I had to close the window. It's open again now and we're in the middle of a blizzard!

IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back