1   0   0
Hahahaha!

SPStoner

Cavs Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, Sara. This is the type of thread you should have closed immediately after your OP. Inevitably, another thread would have started anyways, most likely entitled "My socks are cleaner than yours" or similar.:snicker:

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I do use bleach, even thought I'm not going to say what for now.

You are welcome ... and smart choice on not saying what you use it for ;)

Good stuff, Sara. This is the type of thread you should have closed immediately after your OP. Inevitably, another thread would have started anyways, most likely entitled "My socks are cleaner than yours" or similar. :snicker:

LOL - I guess I can't win :crossedlips:

Oh man ill have to look out for that stuff.
is it for top loaders or front loaders?

I have not looked to see if they have the "he" version, but what I have was for the standard top loaders.

I checked and I have actually used this bleach for washing my filter socks either once or twice. I guess I got lucky since I don't use too much of it and I also use a second rinse cycle ... :sweat:

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bleach in Washing machine, its gets it the most clean which is what I want so I only have to change it out every 3-4 days instead of every other. Bleach is totally safe IF you wash it after and let it air dry. The chlorine in the bleach will evaporate as does all chlorine.

Mr. Krabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sara- Thanks for the heads-up.

I just checked the Chlorox I was using and sure enough, it's Chlorox Plus HE for front loaded machines. It has same consistency of detergent just like you mentioned. I also noticed the strange soap looking bubbles coming out my skimmer the last time I changed out my socks but didn't give it much thought...I guess I got lucky too by using multiple rinses.

GreshamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this on the Chicago Forum over on RC. I too purchased this new Clorox Splash-less Bleach as the label is very close to the standard Clorox Bleach Label. There is not a list of ingredients on the bottle nor a statement of 100% Bleach. Clorox® Plus® Splash-less Bleach has a thick, smooth-pouring formula that gives you the control to pour it just where you want it to go is its claim.

Per the reefer he stated the new bleach has a detergent in it and when I asked how he found out, he stated the following: "I called the 1-800 number. I washed my filter socks with it, thinking it couldn't be that bad (bought it by accident), and noticed it made bubbles, which normal bleach does not do. I rinsed the sock a few extra times and put it on my tank. In about 15-20 minutes my skimmer looked like a bubble bath, and later I noticed the tank water was cloudy. This is just from the RESIDUE on the sock. The woman at the help center read me the list of ingredients, which is not on the label, and it matches the stuff you get when you do a search of laundry detergent ingredients. Another thing you get is several EPA warnings about the individual ingredients that say they are toxic to aquatic life. But so far nothing has died, just looking unhappy".

Beware Splashless Bleach - Reef Central Online Community

By law all ingredients have to be listed. Saying that, the MSDS only lists..
Sodium hypochlorite & Sodium hydroxide
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/bleach/cloroxplussplash-lessbleach.pdf

Another useful part of the MSDS for it...
EPA - SARA Title III/CERCLA: This product is regulated under Sections 311/312. This product contains no chemicals that are regulated under Section 313 and contains sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide that are regulated under Section 304/CERCLA.
I see absolutely no evidence it contains any "detergents" and if it did, they'd be listed in the MSDS, especially in the quote above.

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is used in the making of some detergents (soaps), amongst many other things like candles and event the street scourge "Meth". It used to be what Red Devil was made out of but since the Meth heads started buying it, they have since changed the formula. I suspect that (Lye) is what is the issue.

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Clorox and their customer service told me that Clorox is safe to use on glass surfaces but not on silicone or plastic surfaces. They said that it applies to all their Clorox products. They advised me not to use Clorox for cleaning aquarium equipment.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Clorox and their customer service told me that Clorox is safe to use on glass surfaces but not on silicone or plastic surfaces. She said that it applies to all their Clorox products.
I use Clorox bleach (original) and not that other stuff with added scent or fabric guard or whatever they have on the market now. I use it to was my filter socks in hot water and on a heavy duty wash cycle with extra rinse. After that I do another cycle of the same but then in cold water and let air dry. The socks have plastic rings and no issues with the plastic decomposing it.

But thanks for the heads up :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Clorox and their customer service told me that Clorox is safe to use on glass surfaces but not on silicone or plastic surfaces. They said that it applies to all their Clorox products. They advised me not to use Clorox for cleaning aquarium equipment.

Silicone is generally rated as good resistance to sodium hypochlorite solutions, but not entirely resistant. I don't think there's typically a concern from those rare times when one might bleach an aquarium, but I would not do it frequently.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which is just them giving a blanket "cover their butt" response which is not entirely correct.

Many plastics are quite resistant to hypochlorite. A brute can made from polypropylene, for example, is resistant to bleaching with normal hypochlorite.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone is generally rated as good resistance to sodium hypochlorite solutions, but not entirely resistant. I don't think there's typically a concern from those rare times when one might bleach an aquarium, but I would not do it frequently.
Hypo will attack the silicone seals over time. Years ago, I rebuilt a 200 gal tank in my garage. filled it with water and let it sit for several days to test. No leaks appeared. Mosquito larvae appeared after several days and being lazy, I just tossed a pool chlorine tablet in the tank to take care of it and forgot about it. After a couple of weeks, it started to leak.

I agree that a brief washing is not a problem, but you do not want to let it soak in bleach for days.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking with them primarily about the additives that was supposedly harmful to all aquatic life. However, you may be right about them giving a blanket "cover their butt" response since they repeated the same thing when I asked for a name of Clorox product that did not contain the detergent additives.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back