Water cooled LED fixture

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started making the frame of my water cooled LED fixture. Now I am going to clean it up and connect the LEDs to it, them build a radiator. Does anybody need a water cooled LED fixture? Of course not. It is just very cool.

Here is a better picture

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you are going water cooled?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason not to?
Not really, its just fans work just fine and water cooling seems over kill and adds a lot of extra work, plus it is going to weigh a lot more than an air cooled one. So no reason not to but it does not seem like it offers anything over air cooled

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question; are you going to use the tank water to cool the LED.s and recirculate the water to the tank and not need a heater? What about the summer when I is hot, will it drive your thank temp to high?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason not to?
Exactly.

I am going to put 60 LEDs on it. I am taking them from this fixture.
No, the water in the copper pipes will destroy my reef in seconds. It will use fresh water in a sealed system. Actually this is a lot lighter than an air cooled system because I don't need to mount fans to it or have a heavy heat sink. The frame is the heat sink and it has circulating water in it. It is a lot simpler than an air cooled system and it will stay a lot cooler. (In more ways then one) Besides, I realize I don't need a water cooled system. But I like to build things. This frame will be connected to a radiator under the tank with flexible hoses so it will be able to be raised out of the way on counterweights just like my DIY air cooled system does now.
The light I am taking the parts from weighs about 10lbs and has 8 fans in it.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea. Water cooled PC CPUs can run overclocked, as water is a much better heat conducter than air. I imagine this will allow you to run LEDs at very high power with little heat.

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking of this exact thing. I have used water cooling on a pc I built and thought it would be possible.
Then I remembered that it ran smoothly for about a year and then one day leaked all over my duel sli graphics card. Haha. Should be awesome!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because @Paul B is retired and he is a tinkerererer. That's what tinkererers do. They tinker with stuff. :p

Looks pretty cool so far.

I love this idea. Water cooled PC CPUs can run overclocked, as water is a much better heat conducter than air. I imagine this will allow you to run LEDs at very high power with little heat.

Finally, someone gets it. :D Of course I don't need to do this just like no one has to go to the moon, climb Mount Everest or try to date a Supermodel. It's just a cool Idea. And if it don't work, there is a scrap metal yard about half a mile from here. This is very cheap to build being I already have the lights. I made the frame in half an hour. The radiator may be a car heater core because I am having trouble finding 1/4" rigid copper tubing to build a radiator. This fixture will also raise out of the way on counterweights like my existing air cooled fixture does now.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a PWM type power supply. Less heat issues than the cheap stuff. Go with American Cree or German Leds. It matters. My heatsink in a ok vented hood peaks at 104F with no fans. Aqua ray gen 3. hmmmm

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got about 400 feet of 1/4 inch rigid copper tubing here in the shop. too bad you aren't closer lol you need this wall.
20151116_200801.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dtackett, I don't see any rigid tubing in that picture. Are you hiding it? I got plenty of flexible stuff. I need rigid so I will just get a heater core from a car.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yeah, its upstairs and don't feel like walking into that oven. heater core is easier anyway. tell ya what, if I could take some of this stuff home my tank would be insane lol I could build a full diy setup with the stuff we got here. even got acrylic up to 1.5 inches thick. strange considering we make paper cups... lol

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paper cups are cool. I will try to get a heater core. I would rather build one out of 1/4 or 3/16th tubing but I don't feel like going to Freeport about 30 minutes away to get it. I also have to solder in a restriction in my water circuit because if I don't, most of the water will flow in the outside tube with very little going through the center. They sell a restrictor for that which I also may use.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back