We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed lately a bunch of people dealing with Dino. It's one of the worst things we have to deal with in this hobby and will make you want to pull your hair out! So, I thought I would share my method on how I beat Dino. It may work for you, it may not but when we have Dino and we are watching our corals and snail die away, we will give anything a try right?We all know how many different strands of Dino there are but I have been real successful with this process. Also I have tryed H2O2 dosing with no success in that treatment.

Here is the process that I have used to get rid of Dino in 2 different tanks, also my LFS had it in there display tanks (full sps) and used this process as well with the same results, NO MORE DINO! Never has come back either! Here we go:

Black out for 3 days, I'm mean no light at all, do not feed your fish either, they will be ok.
Day 1: dose Dr. Tim's waste away (recommended dose on the bottle)
Day 2: dose Dr. Tim's waste away (recommended dose on the bottle)
Day 3: dose Dr. Tim's re-fresh
( recommended dose on the bottle)
Day 4: uncover, clean protein skimmer and all filtration. Return to normal light schedule.

This process worked for me with great results, I hope it will help and work for you!

MonsterReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed lately a bunch of people dealing with Dino. It's one of the worst things we have to deal with in this hobby and will make you want to pull your hair out! So, I thought I would share my method on how I beat Dino. It may work for you, it may not but when we have Dino and we are watching our corals and snail die away, we will give anything a try right?We all know how many different strands of Dino there are but I have been real successful with this process. Also I have tryed H2O2 dosing with no success in that treatment.

Here is the process that I have used to get rid of Dino in 2 different tanks, also my LFS had it in there display tanks (full sps) and used this process as well with the same results, NO MORE DINO! Never has come back either! Here we go:

Black out for 3 days, I'm mean no light at all, do not feed your fish either, they will be ok.
Day 4: uncover, clean protein skimmer and all filtration. Return to normal light schedule.

This process worked for me with great results, I hope it will help and work for you!
What do they look like I think I might have them a brown substance that appears on my rocks and on my glass I can clean my glass today and they will pop back up on it tomorrow so my question is if I do a complete blackout will it damage my Coral are my fish I read your post yes but still kinda Leary because I do have Coral that requires light antonyms

MonsterReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And 2 nems

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be no issues with the fish or corals. Do you have any pics? Just to make sure it is dino

MonsterReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1465439926556.jpg

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to see on my phone, is there any that look like snot bubble stretching toward the light? Kind of stringy?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that it's not dino, definitely looks like some hair algae though and we all deal with the brown on the glass unfortunately lol

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maxim.dockx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal in the beginning of a tank right? Does the prescribed method for getting rid of it help? Or is it just something i have to go true

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ, the way that this process was explained to me is the the bacteria in the Dr. Tim's will out compete the dino for a food source, basically killing the Dino because they will not have enough "food" to survive. (In a nutshell)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the dreaded dinoflagellates
Cell size and numbers is what makes this hard to beat down, well kill.
The reproduction rate of the individual cell is staggering along with a unique cell structure makes it tough.
They are fun to watch under the scope though! Funny little guys
Stay tuned!

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to see on my phone, is there any that look like snot bubble stretching toward the light? Kind of stringy?
I don't know what to do with these algae on my glasses
What ever I do, they come back again
I'm really getting tired of them.

b86ef53b481ae43248aec03c9e8da033.jpg

0faf350253960c59308d200d252a3903.jpg

Back