We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is your problem, you are not treating dino and I believe you not covering the tank is where your bacterial bloom came from. It may be dark in that part of the house but it's not totally black
I know what you are saying. However waste away isnt made for dinos either. This method is a trick. However recommended dosage, as you would suggest, is once a week according to the bottle and not dose after dose. The idea of waste away is to break up the dinos and be extracted via mechanical filtration. My issue was brown sludge which, on the bottle says it fixes brown sludge. The sludge I have cannot be vaccumed out, as its too dense or heavy. But... I was attempting to use your 3 or 4 day method. My point here is, dinos won't protect you from bacterial blooms. So over dosing waste away is going to result in a possible bacterial bloom.

No I'm not going to dose refresh.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you are saying. However waste away isnt made for dinos either. This method is a trick. However recommended dosage, as you would suggest, is once a week according to the bottle and not dose after dose. The idea of waste away is to break up the dinos and be extracted via mechanical filtration. My issue was brown sludge which, on the bottle says it fixes brown sludge. The sludge I have cannot be vaccumed out, as its too dense or heavy. But... I was attempting to use your 3 or 4 day method. My point here is, dinos won't protect you from bacterial blooms. So over dosing waste away is going to result in a possible bacterial bloom.

No I'm not going to dose refresh.

The methodology behind this is not to break up the dino, the Bacteria contained within the waste away out competes the dino, witch in turn starves the Dino killing it. The refresh cleans it all up. That is how the process works. I can't comment on people's findings/reaction when not following the process to the T. I'm sorry you had issues but also your were not treating Dino either.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The methodology behind this is not to break up the dino, the Bacteria contained within the waste away out competes the dino, witch in turn starves the Dino killing it. The refresh cleans it all up. That is how the process works. I can't comment on people's findings/reaction when not following the process to the T. I'm sorry you had issues but also your were not treating Dino either.
I apologise now for going to say this, but you don't have any scientific proof of what you are saying. The waste-away bottle says nothing about starving dinos. Are you saying dinos feed off beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm not saying that, they ''eat/produce energy" from a couple different things. I may not be a scientist but how many people on here are? What I do know is that this process will work on Dino although the product doesn't specifically say a treats it. Does your baking powder say that you can use it to add ALK to a saltwater tank? I do know that this will work if treating Dino and following the process to the T. Ask manny how his tank is doing. I'm not trying to argue with you and i mean no disrespect at all towards you. Sorry if I'm coming of as alittle abrasive, I don't mean too.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I can't explain this better, look like I need to start a science project like Twilliard is doing.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your baking powder say that you can use it to add ALK to a saltwater tank?
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which is an essential element to sea life.

Putting baking powder in your tank might result in something catastrophic due to the cornstarch.

I understand. If one thing could be critiqued I would suggest that waste-away has no real effect. People have had success with 3 day black out and not even using your method. Maybe reduce the need for waste away to one dose either half dose or full. I could however see refresh as being essential in treatment. Because dinos are photosynthetic and without light will disperse into the water colume. ReFresh was designed to dissolve free floating organics.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's all not forget this fact..
There are over 2200 different known species of dinoflagellates needing different ecosystems for survival.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point reeferfox is that just because it says one thing on the bottle doesn't mean you can't use it for another.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point reeferfox is that just because it says one thing on the bottle doesn't mean you can't use it for another.
And again, i understand that. I'm trying to help this method in a sense that wouldn't cause errors like i'm experiencing. The dosage you are recommending can and could cause a potential bacterial bloom. I'm just suggesting a reduced dosage because you will still get the same effect without the product. Ultimately you want the dinos free floating and not stuck to rocks and sand.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND what twilliard is kind of suggesting is it is possible I have "dinos" just not the species you are tackling. We have proof of it being photosynthetic and displaying single celled division. So in the off chance that a newbie is trying to tackle the same strain that I have, you could possibly misdiagnose your dinos for my "protist" (i am learning so much lol)

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read this whole thread, so if it's been discussed, I apologize. I have been an advocate of both waste away and refresh for the last year. It works very well on the "white slime" some people get and cyano. Im guessing it would work well with other algae too.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1465598651.339063.jpg

Here is a great example of dinos. This is also not my pic but one I found on the web. If it is your tank I hope you don't mind. Just thought it could be a good reference pic for those who are questioning if they have dino or not.
This picture is not dino's. This is a bad case of cyano. I had it and it was 10x worse then this.

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread ... fl_Reefer, 72 hours of fish in total blackout, will they be freaking out? Perhaps a 95% blackout? Not worried bout food, it's the horror of extended darkness :(

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is similar to how I beat mine, Amphidinium carterae. During the blackout, I introduced 3,000+ copepods and began dosing Microbacter7 and phytoplankton daily for 2 weeks. Even after a 6 day blackout, I still had some dinos hanging on to life. But what little bit was left was consumed by copepods and out competed for resources by other biological life. My tank went from a barren wasteland inhabited by only dinos to all kinds of life from ciliates, pods, nematodes, diatoms- you name it.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread ... fl_Reefer, 72 hours of fish in total blackout, will they be freaking out? Perhaps a 95% blackout? Not worried bout food, it's the horror of extended darkness :(

All fish will be fine with black out and no food. They actually are not fed for 3 days prior to being imported to the wholesaler.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish will be fine with black out and no food. They actually are not fed for 3 days prior to being imported to the wholesaler.
Yes they will..i was worried about my fish but they were ok.
Btw dino free for almost a week.
I had a ostreopsis ovata in my tank. Killed some snails and stomas...

Hethari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twillard what's your opinion about using IV solution of metronidazole

Back