We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this "biological" approach fascinating.

I'm not sure anyone understands why a balanced ecosystem (at least we primarily view our stable tanks as balanced) becomes "infected" or overrun by something like Dino's. What change in parameters allows one organism to all of a sudden predominate.

I think this biological approach is so cool because as I understand it, sheer volume of bacteria are added and so they predominate or overwhelm or outcompete the pest (infectious organism-Dino) and result in a return to a once again balanced reef. Again I am not sure if the added bacteria really remain or they allow more normal bacteria to once again flourish after the pest is out competed.

I think the other thread on metro is fascinating as well. I however like a biological approach. I do have concerns about antibiotics, bactericidals and cancer causing agents in my reef tank though.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in watchguy! I to aswell am skeptical about adding meds to a tank but at the same time am also fascinated with the work twilliards putting in on this pest aswell. He's doing a great job too. I prefer my method because it's what I know. After his work, I know his method will work as well. I guess it comes down to prefrence of what and how you want to achieve the same outcome.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say thanks again Manny for trying my method. Your results speak for themselves. I know it's a huge relief to not have to deal with them any longer! Keep your updates coming bud.

Hethari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys

Since two weeks just before i decided to turn my old tank to frag tank start to have brown stain over rocks sand bed some corals may be I neglected it for a while after I had a new 100 g tank I remove every thing only some frags new every thing but the brownish return every reading ok no death 2 fish and one snail still ok I have some images
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1466966350.051643.jpg
some on 40x lens
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1466966433.779523.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1466966473.317052.jpg
and I found this moving thing

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like it to me but there is one cell in your second pic that I would like to see a closer view of.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still dino free...sps not so good. Some have past away...others are holding on.
Polyp extension is great, just the dinos hit some hard and the recovery is not that good.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about no dino but sucks about the sps. It's always the SPS that the dino attached itself too. At least you can start to rebuild

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still dino free...sps not so good. Some have past away...others are holding on.
Polyp extension is great, just the dinos hit some hard and the recovery is not that good.
So the SPS problems were due to dinos and not treatment?

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the SPS problems were due to dinos and not treatment?
Yes
The Dino's were on the sps, don't know if they eat them or poison them..
But they stressed the hell out of them and they are in between dying and recovering..only regret is not trying this method earlier. Might still have some of my prized sps..

Hethari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No waste away here in Iraq nor refresh I'm a doctor and I can get metronidazole two question should I turn skimmer off and can I use the IV solution better than the tablet thanks

Hethari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a frag tank no sand no rocks except those with the frags it been three weeks but I have single snail not dead yet nor shrimps nor the two fish and I'm afraid of transferring any thing to my DT

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a frag tank no sand no rocks except those with the frags it been three weeks but I have single snail not dead yet nor shrimps nor the two fish and I'm afraid of transferring any thing to my DT
Yes do not transfer anything from the frag tank to the dt.
It does appear to be dinoflagellates but not conclusive. Do they swim around?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard can you chime in on these questions! I'm sorry but I do not know how to answer because I have not messed with his treatment, maybe he can direct you to the tread he created for this treatment. I think this treatment will better for you due to the fact you can't get the waste away or refresh where you are.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back