We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to bump this thread back up. There's no variables in how much to dose, it's a easy, strait to the point, 3 day fix that I hope more of you would be willing to give a try. Happy Reefing!

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to bump this thread back up. There's no variables in how much to dose, it's a easy, strait to the point, 3 day fix that I hope more of you would be willing to give a try. Happy Reefing!
Yes..it worked. Only regret is..i didnt try it sooner.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry if this has been answered but what dinoflagellate did you have?
I got a sample in yesterday and it's a rare dinoflagellate but I can tell this one I saw consume some organism that I can see within it.
This may be a good approach for this particular member.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry if this has been answered but what dinoflagellate did you have?
I got a sample in yesterday and it's a rare dinoflagellate but I can tell this one I saw consume some organism that I can see within it.
This may be a good approach for this particular member.

To be honest T I'm not really sure bud. I am happy to say that I have not had dino in my tank for a year and a half. Until your research I never even thought to look at it under a scope. To the naked eye it had typical dino characteristics, thick brown snot filled with bubbles. Did you post any pics on your thread of it, I would love to see it and also know what it is consuming.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I just posted the pictures this morning
I can't tell if it's the nucleus or ingested food

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had brown dinos about 6 months a go.
I was realy getting tired of them.
One day i siphoned as many i could and gave it 3days dark out.
I did this 2 to 4 times till i saw them getting weaker and weaker.
At last they were nearly gone and weak so i added a blenny so he ate them all and i added snails.
Now every thing is good.

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to do with these algae on my glasses
What ever I do, they come back again
I'm really getting tired of them.

b86ef53b481ae43248aec03c9e8da033.jpg

0faf350253960c59308d200d252a3903.jpg
Does the butterfly fish eat commercial foods?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else other than manny tried this method (following the OP's directions exactly)? OP, are you recommending the full dose (10 ml per 10 g) during the first 2 days of blackout even though the label days start with half the dose? Are you recommending leaving the skimmer on? Did refresh have any effect on your shrimp?

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a black out only be possile? Or is the waste away a must have? Ive seen that the black out works on certain types, some require peroxcide. Peroxcide didnt work for me however

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to try this method, but initially the blackout period held me back. Now I am reading quite a few horror stories about Dr Tim's wasteaway killing all the fish in a tank because people weren't dosing at half strength initially or they didn't shut the skimmer off, etc. It looks like the OP's directions are to initially dose at full strength and even though it's only 2 doses, it does give me pause. I hate my dinos, but they aren't killing anything - just an eyesore and I do love my fish much more than I hate dinos. The refresh being toxic to snails and shrimp give me pause too. I tried twilliard's 3-day metro and it didn't really work - they came back. Looks like other who are trying 10 days aren't getting much luck either. manny, are you still dino free?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else other than manny tried this method (following the OP's directions exactly)? OP, are you recommending the full dose (10 ml per 10 g) during the first 2 days of blackout even though the label days start with half the dose? Are you recommending leaving the skimmer on? Did refresh have any effect on your shrimp?

Yes the full dose for the first 2 days. Yes leave the skimmer on during the process, clean on 4th day you remove the cover. The refresh had no effect on my shrimp. I had 2 peppermints and I know the label says that it could effect them. I looked at it like this. My tank was over run with dino, my corals were dieing along with all my snails and I was getting nowhere with H2O2 dosing so I was really at the end of the road so to be honest, I was willing to take the risk. A buddy told me about this process, which I think is where they came from. I trusted what he said cause he was going through the same think with 2 of his display tanks at his shop (they're around 2000 gallons combined, filled with any kind of sea creature and coral you could find). His shop is also one of the biggest shops here in Tampa so I knew that it did work and I trusted him. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a black out only be possile? Or is the waste away a must have? Ive seen that the black out works on certain types, some require peroxcide. Peroxcide didnt work for me however

I personally have not tryed just a black out by itself. Peroxide alone didn't work for me aswell

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to try this method, but initially the blackout period held me back. Now I am reading quite a few horror stories about Dr Tim's wasteaway killing all the fish in a tank because people weren't dosing at half strength initially or they didn't shut the skimmer off, etc. It looks like the OP's directions are to initially dose at full strength and even though it's only 2 doses, it does give me pause. I hate my dinos, but they aren't killing anything - just an eyesore and I do love my fish much more than I hate dinos. The refresh being toxic to snails and shrimp give me pause too. I tried twilliard's 3-day metro and it didn't really work - they came back. Looks like other who are trying 10 days aren't getting much luck either. manny, are you still dino free?

You should not be afraid of the black out, it will have little effect IMO. Your snails will die anyway if they consume the Dino anyway. I can see someone being afraid of using the waste away at full strength because to my understanding is that it dose lower the O2 level in your tank but I also believe that your skimmer, when kept on, will compensate for that O2 level.

I really wanted to create this thread to share my exsperince with the dreaded dino. I can say, like I have before, I was at the end of the road when I did this process. I know @mannyhernz did this with no effect other than really what was being effected before competing. I also exsperinced the same thing. But I can also tell you that I was very excited when I removed the cover and there was nothing there (and it was covered in dino, everything). My sand was nice and clear, water was a clear as it gets and most importantly there was no dino, and hasn't come back in 1 1/2 years

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed but did not feed. I know your fish will be ok from not eating for a few days

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back