We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These dinos seem to absorb the tanks nutrients at such a rapid rate, @twilliard , @FL_Reefer and anyone else. Have you guys experienced this, consitantly reading 0.00 po4 and undetectable no3? Ive been throwimg frozen brine in my filter sock to dirty the water and no effect. I am see adverse effects on my softies and lps coral. They also keep their feeders out more often on the favia, im guessing this is starving them.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my no3 levels drop like a rock is one thing I have noticed.
Before dinoflagellates I could keep it steady

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok kind of makes sense now but seams you could maybe overdose at the same time too. It would be a good experiment but not in my tank. Lol

BumsParadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I've been away for a bit

Sorry for taking so long on a response. We did tried the treatment on a 46g mixed tank with a three day blackout. Unfortunately, the Dino's returned within an hour of turning the lights back on. Albeit, they were not nearly as dense.

I wasn't keen enough to take a "before" picture, but here is the some Dino's after the treatment:
1a068a4d8aa52e028ea0c2b0d6c0f331.jpg

I have a few different ideas I've been kicking around.

1. Add Copepods (I believe we lost a bunch when we lost power while we were out of town) and try the treatment again. Maybe every other week and siphon twice a day between treatments. No water changes.

2. Trying @twillards method of dosing Metro. Though, we tried the three day treatment without success.

3. C4 or splitting an atom. Honestly, Dino's are the most frustrating thing I've encountered in this hobby.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Did the waste away for a week..small doses. Water change friday..today im dino free again. I will need to watch my aminos in the future.

BumsParadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small a dose? Once/day? With lights? If so, what time did you find it best to dose? Did you use Refresh after?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my peoples, so I went to visit a good friend of mine cause he told me that he was having massive issues with his tank and from what he was describing to me it sounded like he had dino, bad too. So I get to his office and bam, I see a 220 gallon filled with snot! After him telling me that he was fed up with this thing "his tank". I told him not to take it down and we can try something. I told him all the steps of my process and came back 3 days later to a tank free of dino! His tank consists of sea creatures of all kinds from bubble tips to shrimp to sea stars. No loss of life, fish, invertebrates, or coral. It's been a week since and still dino free. Just thought I would share this with everyone. I'm not sure why it has worked for some and not for others. I now know that it may take more than one treatment in some tanks but one thing I do still believe is that it does work. I've used this process now on tanks ranging from 20 gallons to tanks that are 220 gallons. Y'all keep your heads up and keep on reefing!

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed 2ml a day for 4days. Got rid of the dinos and i am now watching my AA dosing. But currently im dino free.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I've been following that thread too, I'm actually using it in my tank now to try and get rid of some byropsis. Thanks for posting the thread for those who haven't saw it yet!

Reeferdude500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed lately a bunch of people dealing with Dino. It's one of the worst things we have to deal with in this hobby and will make you want to pull your hair out! So, I thought I would share my method on how I beat Dino. It may work for you, it may not but when we have Dino and we are watching our corals and snail die away, we will give anything a try right?We all know how many different strands of Dino there are but I have been real successful with this process. Also I have tryed H2O2 dosing with no success in that treatment.

Here is the process that I have used to get rid of Dino in 2 different tanks, also my LFS had it in there display tanks (full sps) and used this process as well with the same results, NO MORE DINO! Never has come back either! Here we go:

Black out for 3 days, I'm mean no light at all, do not feed your fish either, they will be ok.
Day 1: dose Dr. Tim's waste away (recommended dose on the bottle)
Day 2: dose Dr. Tim's waste away (recommended dose on the bottle)
Day 3: dose Dr. Tim's re-fresh
( recommended dose on the bottle)
Day 4: uncover, clean protein skimmer and all filtration. Return to normal light schedule.

This process worked for me with great results, I hope it will help and work for you!

Are you running your skimmer the entire time through black out and treatment?
Directions on Dr. Tims bottle suggest turning Skimmer off?....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back