Weird Apex Behavior

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started receiving notices on my phone today about Apex power failure but it's immediately restored. I went to look at tank and the lights were off. I loaded Apex fusion and my entire control panel was different. All switches were renamed and certain things are not behaving properly.

I then tried to login to Apex locally (older Apex) and I get 404 not found.

I rebooted the system and nothing came back to normal.

I can't figure out what the heck happened.

Any ideas from fellow control freaks?

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received another notice, went downstairs and my lights were going on and off.

I unplugged the unit from the internet, I'm not sure what's going on.

Either something is messed up with my controller or its been hacked.

Something is definitely weird.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried that as well, IP Address didn't change. Also checked my router and the unit still shows up with the correct IP.

When I try to access locally I get 404 Not Found

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried that as well, IP Address didn't change. Also checked my router and the unit still shows up with the correct IP.

When I try to access locally I get 404 Not Found

Keep it disconnected until you figure it out. Sounds like it's either had a power surge, or someone is tinkering somewhere else. [emoji51]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What firmware are you using and are all the module using the same firmware? I had an issue same issue a while back and I was getting the same notices, I contacted customer support and it was resolved within 24 hours.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had issues with hackers on their system?

I did change my password just in case.

It's essentially a connected appliance in my opinion. Remember when everyone's air conditioners and refrigerators got hacked a few months back? Make that password something stupidly secure. And make sure you've got adequate security on your router and connection.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happened to me, apex started losing certain programs at first, like ATO commands were completely gone, then heater backup would not work, talked to the apex guy, he told me that my apex crashed internally, meaning I had to fully reset my entire system. :/ it happens to my apex mainly when the power goes out and comes back.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure as I can't login to my Apex classic locally. I just get error 404. If I could get into it I would check. The unit is hard wired as well.

Maybe I'll do a restore defaults and see if that helps. At this point I have nothing to lose.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure as I can't login to my Apex classic locally. I just get error 404. If I could get into it I would check. The unit is hard wired as well.

Maybe I'll do a restore defaults and see if that helps. At this point I have nothing to lose.

Yup exactly the same issue, once the apex crashes factory reset is the only thing that helps. Good luck

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a factory reset, still getting error 404. It asks for username and password but after I enter that I get error 404. I double checked it via the head unit and I'm using the correct credentials.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't be sure completely, but I'm wondering if some of the bad behavior wasn't due to an MP10 controller that fried out. I didn't realize until I saw it blinking in an odd way. When I opened it up, I could see where one of the chips had fried.

Before when I would try to reprogram certain switches the unit would restart, now it's fine. I still cannot access the local web control though, that still shows error 404. So until I get in touch with support I cannot recalibrate anything.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for chiming in. I've had a rough couple months and today I finally decided to start putting coral back in my tank, I dropped $500 on coral and tonight I run into this issue. It's as though I'm being told to stop messing with nature.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ping the ip address of the apex to see if it respond.....
ex:
a. launch a terminal and type "ping <ip address of the Apex>"
b. like ping 192.168.1.50

Note:
1. if you want to power cycle the whole thing, power cycle the router and modem first....Then power the apex base 60 seconds later. The modem/router should be ready to give the apex an ip when the Apex is up. The apex boots up faster than the most routers and it might not get the IP correctly ...
2. I highly suggest using UPS. This device provides protection against power glitch, spike,... all the things that the apex base does not know how to handle very well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back