What do u guys think??

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do u guys think of putting a snowflake eel in a established 20g tall reef tank??

OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shrimps, no small fish. Only hermits crabs, snails, corals, fishes but he won't be able to put in his mouth and emerald crabs.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake eels can get like 2' long.. I would think a 20g tall would lead to aggression and damage to his beak/nose. Plus what kind of filtration do you have on it? They need pretty substantial feedings compared to normal small to medium reef/sw fish which leads to a lot more waste.. Maybe a 20gal tall with a 50gal sump and he's the only occupant.

I have a buddy with one in his 75g reef tank and it is all over the place.. When he feeds the tank its constantly bashing off the tank walls and knocking stuff over. He has to feed it first large pieces of shrimp/fish and then feed the tank and constantly keep him in check so he doesn't try to attack the other fish that he can't really even eat. It Def needs more space than he has and that's a 75g. Maybe his is an oddball but I'd say no personally.

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake eels can get like 2' long.. I would think a 20g tall would lead to aggression and damage to his beak/nose. Plus what kind of filtration do you have on it? They need pretty substantial feedings compared to normal small to medium reef/sw fish which leads to a lot more waste.. Maybe a 20gal tall with a 50gal sump and he's the only occupant.

I have a buddy with one in his 75g reef tank and it is all over the place.. When he feeds the tank its constantly bashing off the tank walls and knocking stuff over. He has to feed it first large pieces of shrimp/fish and then feed the tank and constantly keep him in check so he doesn't try to attack the other fish that he can't really even eat. It Def needs more space than he has and that's a 75g. Maybe his is an oddball but I'd say no personally.
I would agree as they mature. Both of mine are on the smaller side (8" or so) so I currently don't have that problem... as they grow they might need to go back to the lfs if they become a problem

ajmckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it's been done before and by taking the necessary precautions can work for a while but IMO you need an end game for this... Eventually it will outgrow the 24" tank. If you think you can deal with that then be prepared for when that happens.

But if you just want it now and you haven't thought about the future of the animal then I would change plans.

OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If he gets too big I'm going to eventually re home him. I have a good filtration in my tank and a skimmer. I'm thinking of just getting a small one and if he gets big Ima re home him.

EricP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Its going to get big, Thats what they do. I think the recomended minimum tank size for them is 40 gallons. If you get a small one you should be ok for a bit. It gives you time to plan the upgraded tank;).

OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a small/medium size one and will be upgrading or selling him in the future. I don't really know we'll see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back